Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-06-2009, 11:21 PM   #1
artemisblossom
Groupie
artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony prs505
Question about ummmm not sure what to call it

Have any of you noticed something like ghosting or Pixel burn in (I don't know what to call it) on the screen? It seems like when I have the device turned off or when I am on say a half page I can see faint lines of text that aren't really there. It looks similar to what happens on a plasma tv if it is left on the same image too long. I have never left the reader on for any length of time or anything and now I am kind of paranoid and am shutting it off if I am going to be gone for even a couple minutes. Is there anything I can do about this or is it a normal part of the reader?
artemisblossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 02:12 AM   #2
Renaldo
Addict
Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
That's how eink works.
Renaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2009, 02:24 AM   #3
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
I've had my 505 since Christmas and haven't noted this. I use it everyday, inside and outside, turning it on and off at least 20 times or more.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 08:57 AM   #4
ruth1304
Addict
ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Waiting for a kindle!
I have something similar but very faint (I had to look for it). I think I've seen something else about this on another thread and it seems to be normal!
ruth1304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 11:27 AM   #5
artemisblossom
Groupie
artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony prs505
Thanks for the info I guess if this ever became a problem after using it for a year or so someone would have mentioned it by now
artemisblossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2009, 12:17 PM   #6
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
As Renaldo said, it is very normal. It is not exactly burn in but very similar to ghosting. You can leave the same page on the screen and it will not burn in.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 08:25 PM   #7
Evin
Evin began at the beginning.

Device: Red Sony 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
I've had my 505 since Christmas and haven't noted this. I use it everyday, inside and outside, turning it on and off at least 20 times or more.
Could someone tell me exactly what is happening when you turn it off? Obviously it isn't COMPLETELY off, and if there is no burn in and no power is used to maintain an image, why bother? to wipe the screen for privacy maybe? If I am putting it away in my bag I flip the switch because then pressure on the buttons won't change the page, but other than that, I don't usually turn it off.

Should I be turning it off all the time?
Evin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 08:34 PM   #8
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
YOu guessed it, turning it off prevents accidental button pushing. I don't think there is any other reason to turn it off, but I'm not an expert. If you use the menu "Shut Down" command, the device will go into a low power usage state; I think that's recommended if you won't be reading for a week or more. I find starting up from Shut Down consumes as much power as leaving it in standby mode.

The ghosting was a bigger problem for me on the 500; I haven't seen it on the 505. If you change the page, it should wipe clear.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 05:01 AM   #9
jimbob101
Connoisseur
jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle App Android, Kindle PW2, Calibre
Sometimes that ghosting happens to me with my 505. the only thing i can think of is that when i press the button to shutdown the e-ink screen doesn't get a complete shutdown signal (if thats even possible) or it just gets interrupted in the middle of the clear signal.

It always clears once i turn it back on and is never there when i do a full power down rather than a stand by.

It doesn;t bother or worry me at all and i wouldn;t let it bother you.
jimbob101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 06:06 AM   #10
Riocaz
Fulfilled but not by iRex
Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Far too many
It's also temperature affected IME. The colder it is the more you will see the ghosting. At the moment (15-20c) I'm seeing very little to no ghosting. Earlier in the year (3-5C) I was seeing lots of ghosting.
Riocaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 07:13 AM   #11
ladyjane
I hate to clean
ladyjane can extract oil from cheeseladyjane can extract oil from cheeseladyjane can extract oil from cheeseladyjane can extract oil from cheeseladyjane can extract oil from cheeseladyjane can extract oil from cheeseladyjane can extract oil from cheeseladyjane can extract oil from cheeseladyjane can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505, Acer NetBook
There is a slight ghosting but I think you really have to be looking for a fault..and I never do a complete shut down maybe because there is always just one more paragraph I have to finish. I would only do a complete shutdown if for some odd reason I had to pack it or I was in a coma.
ladyjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 07:57 PM   #12
Abecedary
Exwyzeeologist
Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: :PRS-505::iPod touch:
Sorry to bring this thread back to life, but I've been digging through the archives a little bit (obviously not too far back, though). From what I can tell, the "ghosting" effect seems to be the result of sort of a "low-power" screen redraw. That is, it only seems to appear when bouncing out to the menu screens from a page of text or when bringing up the bookmarks list, etc. Basically, places where you either won't be staying too long or where you won't actually be reading a full page of text. As soon as you go back into the body of the book, you get "full" page refreshes, even on completely empty pages. By doing these "low-power" refreshes on non-book pages, I'd imagine the device conserves a decent amount of power.
Abecedary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 08:10 PM   #13
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Interesting. Thanks for adding that information.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 02:47 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by doreenjoy View Post
YOu guessed it, turning it off prevents accidental button pushing. I don't think there is any other reason to turn it off, but I'm not an expert.
The so-called "power button" does nothing except blank the screen and lock most of the buttons. The device continues to run.

Quote:
If you use the menu "Shut Down" command, the device will go into a low power usage state
Not exactly - the "Shut down" command switches it physically off, like turning off your PC. The next time you start it, it will reboot, which takes a minute or two.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 07:06 AM   #15
moonlit
moonlit began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
My thoughts on the "burn-in" effect is that it's just the way eInk works when the device only refreshes a part of the screen instead of doing a full screen rewrite, and this is also the reason why the screen flickers a few times when you flip to the next page.

The "flickering", I think, is something it does to remove the burn-in effect that you can see when the screen only refreshes a small part, since there is no burn-in effect when you read a normal book page.

I guess Sony decided that a little bit of ghosting is preferable to waiting an extra second for the screen to update when you are browsing through menus, but when you are actually reading a book page you want it to look perfect, this they spend extra time wiping the whole screen and rewriting it when you turn the page.

So I'd say it's perfectly normal and nothing to worry about.
moonlit is offline   Reply With Quote