Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-07-2016, 12:03 PM   #1
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Instructions for patching firmware 3.19.5761

See the Firmware 3.19.5761 discussion thread for information about what has changed in this firmware version.

See the Index to the Metazoa firmware patches thread for a description of what some of these patches do.

Before starting:

1. Make sure your Kobo ereader is already running firmware version 3.19.5761 (0e028f3185). If not, then you need to upgrade before applying this patch.

2. Check that your battery is well charged.

Patching from Windows, Linux (i386/x86_64), or Mac (OS X 10.8-10.9, i386/x86_64):

1. Download and extract patch_kobo_3195761.zip (attached). [WARNING: If using Windows, make sure the path to the extracted files does not contain any '&', '(', or ')' characters.]

2. Download the Kobo firmware archive version 3.19.5761 for your device (See this thread) and copy it into the 3.19.5761_source/ subdirectory. (Don't extract the firmware zip archive.)

3. Read and edit all the *.patch files in the 3.19.5761_source/ subdirectory in order to: choose which patches to enable (patch_enable=`yes`) or disable (patch_enable=`no`); and to change some of the replacement values to suit your device and preferences.

4. In Windows double-click 3.19.5761.bat; For Linux/Mac open a terminal, change to the patch_kobo_3195761/ subdirectory, and run ./3.19.5761.sh from the command line.

5. If there were no errors, copy the resulting KoboRoot.tgz from the 3.19.5761_target/ subdirectory to the .kobo directory on your ereader.

6. Safely eject and unplug the device, which will then update and restart.

To return your ereader to its original unpatched state:

1. Edit all the 3.19.5761_source/*.patch files to disable all patches (set patch_enable = `no` for every patch).

2. Repeat steps 4-6 of the procedure above.
Attached Files
File Type: zip patch_kobo_3195761.zip (480.1 KB, 2590 views)

Last edited by GeoffR; 12-18-2016 at 06:29 PM. Reason: updated .zip file to include `My 24 line spacing values`, `Force user font-family in ePubs`, `KePub text-rendering options`
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 12:10 PM   #2
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Notes and more patches

Notes:

This firmware version seems to be very similar to the previous version 3.19.5613, see the notes about that version if upgrading from an earlier version.

There is a new Kobo Patch GUI being developed that can be used to select which patches you want to enable/disable. With the patches for this firmware version it can also check for mutually-exclusive alternatives.

More patches:

A replacement hyphenation dictionary for the Dutch language. (This dictionary works with all firmware versions, but needs to be re-installed after each firmware update.)

A Turkish language hyphenation dictionary can be found here. Although this firmware version has support for Turkish as a UI language, it doesn't come with a Turkish hyphenation dictionary, so this one will probably remain installed after a firmware update (unless Kobo add their own in a future firmware version.)

A patch for `'Changing the info panel in full size screensaver`

A patch to increase the `Dictionary frame size`

A `Bulgarian keyboard` patch.

A Patch to `Increase The Books Cover Size In The Library`.

A patch to `Allow launching browser without wifi connected`.

A patch to allow search to work with custom dictionaries. See this thread for details.

A Greek keyboard patch. Thanks Embryo.

If you know of any other patches for firmware 3.19.5761 post them in this thread and I'll add them to this post.

Last edited by GeoffR; 12-18-2016 at 06:32 PM. Reason: Added link to `KePub text-rendering options` patch.
Advert
Old 01-07-2016, 06:26 PM   #3
sherman
Guru
sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Just a note on the GUI.

I'm currently in the process of refactoring the code in preparation for creating a PyQt version. So don't expect a new version with more features just yet!

However, the existing GUI should work without any changes (I have yet to test it though...)
sherman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 07:43 PM   #4
surquizu
Evangelist
surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, kobo auraHD, kobo auraH2O, kobo Glo HD, kobo aura ONE
thanks GeoffR!
surquizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 12:52 AM   #5
Martina Schein
eBook-Reader-Fan
Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O 2nd Edition
Thanks, GeoffR.
Martina Schein is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2016, 02:26 PM   #6
outlandos
Connoisseur
outlandos doesn't litteroutlandos doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Thanks again.

I like to patch the old way, but is there any way i can easily detect which patch i had on previously? Now i have to go from A to Z manually very carefully.
outlandos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 04:20 PM   #7
sherman
Guru
sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by outlandos View Post
Thanks again.

I like to patch the old way, but is there any way i can easily detect which patch i had on previously? Now i have to go from A to Z manually very carefully.
If you have kept your previous patch files, and haven't altered them since you installed them to your Kobo, the GUI will show you which ones you had enabled (the ones already ticked in the GUI)
sherman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 04:27 PM   #8
GeoffR
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlandos View Post
Thanks again.

If you have kept your old patch files, you can use your editor to search for patch_enabled = `yes`. But if you haven't kept them, and you don't remember, then no.
Old 01-09-2016, 04:42 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
More patches:

A patch for `'Changing the info panel in full size screensaver`

A patch to increase the `Dictionary frame size`

If you know of any other patches for firmware 3.19.5761 post them in this thread and I'll add them to this post.
Are the ones used in 3.16.5613 usable as is for 3.19.5761?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 04:49 PM   #10
GeoffR
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Are the ones used in 3.16.5613 usable as is for 3.19.5761?
All the 3.19.5613 patches marked "Multi-version" can be applied without any change to 3.19.5761.
Old 01-09-2016, 05:27 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
All the 3.19.5613 patches marked "Multi-version" can be applied without any change to 3.19.5761.
Thanks.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 10:22 PM   #12
GeoffR
Wizard

`Bulgarian keyboard`

A Bulgarian keyboard, to add to the collection. Thanks Tonysd.

Spoiler:
Code:
<Patch>
patch_name = `Bulgarian keyboard`
patch_enable = `yes`
# patch_group = `Keyboard alternatives`
#
## Replaces keys on the Extended Latin keypad with Bulgarian alternatives.
#  
# Enable uppercase for `ß` key
replace_bytes = 851C38, 00 24, 01 24
# Replace layout sign
find_base_address = `ÉÀÇ`
replace_string = 0000, `ÉÀÇ`, `абв`
# Change keyboard layout
find_base_address = `æ\0\0à\0\0è\0\0ì\0\0`
# Second row, left to right:
# (for Touch/Mini/Glo/Aura the first key moves to top row, first column.)
replace_string = 0000, `æ\0`, `!`
replace_string = 0004, `à\0`, `я`
replace_string = 0008, `è\0`, `в`
replace_string = 000C, `ì\0`, `е`
replace_string = 0010, `ò\0`, `р`
replace_string = 0014, `ù\0`, `т`
replace_string = 0018, `á\0`, `ъ`
replace_string = 001C, `é\0`, `у`
replace_string = 0020, `í\0`, `и`
replace_string = 0024, `ó\0`, `о`
replace_string = 0028, `ú\0`, `п`
replace_string = 002C, `ý\0`, `ч`
# Third row, left to right:
# (for Touch/Mini/Glo/Aura the first key moves to top row, second column.)
replace_string = 0030, `œ\0`, `?`
replace_string = 0034, `â\0`, `а`
replace_string = 0038, `ê\0`, `с`
replace_string = 003C, `î\0`, `д`
replace_string = 0040, `ô\0`, `ф`
replace_string = 0044, `û\0`, `г`
replace_string = 0048, `ä\0`, `х`
replace_string = 004C, `ë\0`, `й`
replace_string = 0050, `ï\0`, `к`
replace_string = 0054, `ö\0`, `л`
replace_string = 0058, `ü\0`, `ш`
replace_string = 005C, `ÿ\0`, `щ`
# Bottom row, left to right:
replace_string = 0060, `ã\0`, `з`
replace_string = 0064, `ñ\0`, `ь`
replace_string = 0068, `õ\0`, `ц`
replace_string = 006C, `å\0`, `ж`
replace_string = 0070, `ß\0`, `б`
replace_string = 0074, `ç\0`, `н`
replace_string = 0078, `đ\0`, `м`
replace_string = 007C, `ø\0`, `ю`
replace_string = 0080, `ij\0`, `,`
replace_string = 0084, `ł\0`, `.`
#
# Top row: Extra keys for Touch/Mini/Glo/Aura only.
# (This patch cannot change the top row of the AuraHD/H2O/GloHD keypad.)
find_base_address = `ƒ\0\0þ\0\0š\0\0ž\0\0`
# Top row: columns 1-2 (see first key of second/third rows above.)
# Top row: columns 3-5
replace_string = 0004, `þ\0`, `"`
replace_string = 0008, `š\0`, `@`
replace_string = 000C, `ž\0`, `=
# Top row: column 6 is a duplicate of the last key on the bottom row.
# Top row: columns 7-10
replace_string = 0000, `ƒ\0`, `(`
replace_string = 0010, `μ\0`, `)`
replace_string = 0014, `ª\0`, `-`
replace_string = 0018, `º\0`, `_`
</Patch>
Old 01-18-2016, 09:42 AM   #13
oren64
I need a chapter break
oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

A Patch `Increase The Books Cover Size In The Library`
oren64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 11:56 AM   #14
abglek
abglek began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura, Boyue T62d
hi, i'm new to this thing. getting kobo aura for my wife, hate that sideloading books too tough in formatting, calibre 2nd opinion since sometime the books simply downloaded via build in browser. so far i'm good & happy with all the patch, but only one that bugging me, caption font size - page, chapter number. it's too big & unadjustable. can somebody help me, which part am i wrong?

example:
# Replacement caption font size value for Glo/Aura:
replace_string = 0054, `font-size: 20px;`, `font-size: 14px;` -nothings happened
abglek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 02:16 PM   #15
abglek
abglek began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura, Boyue T62d
Quote:
Originally Posted by abglek View Post
hi, i'm new to this thing. getting kobo aura for my wife, hate that sideloading books too tough in formatting, calibre 2nd opinion since sometime the books simply downloaded via build in browser. so far i'm good & happy with all the patch, but only one that bugging me, caption font size - page, chapter number. it's too big & unadjustable. can somebody help me, which part am i wrong?

example:
# Replacement caption font size value for Glo/Aura:
replace_string = 0054, `font-size: 20px;`, `font-size: 14px;` -nothings happened
fixed,

Custom reading footer style can't be done at least in aura 6"
abglek is offline   Reply With Quote