Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 05-09-2017, 01:10 AM   #1
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Talking Free (DRM-free) A Fire Upon the Deep by Vernor Vinge [Award-Win Sci-Fi Space Opera]

A Fire Upon the Deep by Vernor Vinge (ISFDB, Wikipedia, SFE), who used to be a professor of mathematics before he retired to write full-time, is the 1st novel in his Zones of Thought sequence of hard science fiction space opera novels set in a far future which has warring aliens, super-intelligent beings, and a proto-Usenet, this one kicking off the saga with the discovery that the Earth exists in a space zone which limits its technology and mental ability, plus the unleashed threat of the use of a devastating weapon designed by the beings in the super-intelligence zones and the ensuing galactic power struggle, free for a limited time courtesy of publisher Tor Books.

This is their featured Tor.com eBook of the Month Club selection for May and won the 1993 Hugo Award for Best Novel in a tie with Connie Willis' Doomsday Book, according to its Wikipedia entry, and also the SF Chronicle Award, according to ISFDB. I've been meaning to try this for ages (I have a giant-size Collected Stories of Vernor Vinge paperback I haven't gotten around to yet, since the intro to a few of the stories mentioned that they were in the setting and followed up from some things in the novel and I wanted to read it first before tackling those) so it's a real treat that this is being offered free and now I don't have to make a special trip to the library downtown (regular trips will still be made).

Incidentally I also found out from fellow MR member author Robert J. Sawyer's WWW trilogy that I'd been pronouncing Vinge's last name (which I knew from reading the excellent and recommended novels of his ex, Joan D. Vinge) wrong for years : it's apparently supposed to be “vin-jee”, and does not rhyme with “hinge”. Just so you know.

Currently free through 11:59 PM Eastern Time on May 15th directly @ the publisher's special promo page (DRM-free ePub & Mobi bundle officially available only to Canada & the US due to geo-restrictions; requires newsletter signup with valid email address), and you can follow along with the Tor.com book club discussion via their dedicated blog tag here.

Description
The universe has a natural limit on the speed of light...but what if it does the same for the speed of thought?

Earth discovers it exists within a “Slow Zone,” making faster-than-light travel AND super-intelligence impossible. But life is nothing if not adaptable, and there just may be a diabolical way for humanity to reach the wild marvels of the Beyond and take its place amongst galactic civilization...
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 06:41 AM   #2
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Got it.

Thank you!
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert