Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-20-2016, 01:38 PM   #1
Ricky D'Angelo
Fanatic
Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, PRS-T-2, PRS 350, PRS 950; Kobo Mini; Kindle PW3, Fire 10
TALES FROM THE CRYPT

How did your ereader die? My Sony PRS-350 died from old age after the battery died (however I still keep it in it's box next to my other ereaders).
Ricky D'Angelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 03:57 PM   #2
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky D'Angelo View Post
How did your ereader die? My Sony PRS-350 died from old age after the battery died (however I still keep it in it's box next to my other ereaders).
That's ok, I still keep my various cats ashes in urns on the mantle.

Generally, I don't keep an ereader long enough to die. The technology is changing so fast. The oldest one that I have is a Sony PRS-T2 that I use for backpacking. I thought it had died, but I was able to revive it by doing a full reset and leaving it on the charger over night. However, the kindle PW that I bought a few months ago has the same form factor, and since it has both a much longer battery life and internal back light, so it's pretty unlikely that I'll continue to use the Sony.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2016, 06:04 PM   #3
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
I whipped out my hand to stop my bag flying when I hit the brakes. Hit it harder than I thought and right were my Nook screen was
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 08:57 AM   #4
Ricky D'Angelo
Fanatic
Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I whipped out my hand to stop my bag flying when I hit the brakes. Hit it harder than I thought and right were my Nook screen was
I usually have to hit the brakes hard when I get distracted when driving but that's a different topic. . . Anyway, how did you dispose of the Nook which you karate chopped to death
Old 11-21-2016, 09:54 AM   #5
ElspethB
Passionate Reader
ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab S3, Kobo Clara HD, Fire HD 8, Voyage, Oasis 3, PW5
My first dedicated ereader (as opposed to my ancient Palm Pilot) was a Kindle Keyboard. One day, it fell unnoticed out of my car when I went into a store. I realized as soon as I got home that it was missing and raced back to the store, but by then it was too late. Although it looked okay when I took it out of its pouch, it must have been run over and suffered terminal injury to the substrate. RIP KK :-(
ElspethB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2016, 09:58 AM   #6
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
So far I haven't had one die. All of my dedicated reading devices going back to the first one bought in 2007 (Sony 505, K2, Cybook Opus, Kindle Touch, Kobo Aura HD) still work okay, although some of the batteries aren't what they used to be.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 04:16 PM   #7
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I usually have to hit the brakes hard when I get distracted when driving but that's a different topic. . . Anyway, how did you dispose of the Nook which you karate chopped to death
Actually it's still sitting on the bedside table. I didn't know what to do with it. I loved that model, so I tried buying another off of eBay, but it had the infamous screen tear, so I moved to Kobo.
Old 11-22-2016, 08:34 PM   #8
Hemmi
Grand Sorcerer
Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sonys, Nooks, Kobo Libra, Forma, Mini, Paperwhite
I also haven't had one die on me completely yet. A couple of the Sonys have really bad battery life but they're not dead yet.
Hemmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 09:20 PM   #9
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I killed my first two classic Nooks. I tripped over the cord while it was charging with the first and pulled out the connecting bits; the second I dropped on a slate floor and cracked the substrate. B&N very generously replaced the latter even though it was my fault.

Since then, no problems. Knock wood.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 09:26 PM   #10
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
My kindle keyboard died in a drowning accident. It fell into a hot bubble bath.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 10:57 PM   #11
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Hmm... almost like you would have benefitted from a waterproof Kindle?
Old 11-23-2016, 07:37 AM   #12
Ricky D'Angelo
Fanatic

Quote:
What a bummer!! Sitting in a nice hot relaxing bubble bath to read leisurely and then plop, there goes the ereader under the water. Did you try the rice method to try to revive it?
Old 11-23-2016, 09:08 AM   #13
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
What a bummer!! Sitting in a nice hot relaxing bubble bath to read leisurely and then plop, there goes the ereader under the water. Did you try the rice method to try to revive it?
We tried everything. At least I had a spare.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 02:23 PM   #14
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
We tried everything. At least I had a spare.
One should always have a spare of the necessities.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 07:29 PM   #15
Ricky D'Angelo
Fanatic

Edgar Allan Poe wrote a lot about the fear of being buried alive. . . and perhaps the worst fate for an ereader would be to be suspended somewhere between life and death. There are lots of threads in this forum where ereaders end up getting "bricked" when their previously trusted owners attempt to root them. I can just hear the poor ereaders shrieking in silence at their miserable fate. *shudder*