Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Server

Notices

Old 04-04-2024, 05:59 PM   #1
jhughes2466
jhughes2466 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Connect / Sharing IP Change

How do you change the IP it creates the sharing server with?

Mine is defaulting to 172.17.0.11 which I cannot connect to internally at all even on the same network. I have no idea why, I don't see any rhyme or reason other than my entire 192.x.x.x is the network configuration I have going internally.

I can get to the calibre page on the docker install using the 192.x.x.x:PORT and turn everything on or off in the GUI, but when I star the listening server or wireless device connection it gives me the 172.x.x.x as a listener.

I then try and open a browser on any if my iDevices or my kindle paperwhites and they fail.

I am brand new to calibre, but an avid reader and wanted to convert a ton of epubs I have gotten over the years to kindle format and load them up.

Am I doing this entirely wrong?
jhughes2466 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 06:11 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
10, 172, 192 are all Private (non-routeable) addresses. (A, B,C type)

I am not familiar with Docker, but I suspect there is a logical router between that and the host. You will need to open a pinhole there also

Wan ->Lan -> Host -> Docker -> Calibre
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-04-2024, 07:36 PM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
When you define the Docker container you have to specify which ports on the external device (the host where Docker runs) are forwarded to ports within the container; so for instance you could configure external port 9080 to map to internal port 8080. You would then access the application running in the container that was listening on port 8080 by connecting to port 9080 of your physical host.

Sent from my Pixel 7a using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 12:57 PM   #4
jhughes2466

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
When you define the Docker container you have to specify which ports on the external device (the host where Docker runs) are forwarded to ports within the container; so for instance you could configure external port 9080 to map to internal port 8080. You would then access the application running in the container that was listening on port 8080 by connecting to port 9080 of your physical host.

FIRST, thank you very much both for the responses, really appreciate you trying to help me. Let me give a little further context as to what I'm seeing so maybe it will make sense.

=========
That part I've done, I defined the ports, so like I said, I can get to the GUI for example internally and import books etc. But I thought the listener or the share/connect wireless would let me provide that as a listener to be able to connect internally with some of lets say my kids kindle devices and just pick which books they want to import.

Here's where I'm at currently:

Docker: Configured port 8085 - reachable internally via 192.x.x.x:8085

Click "Connect / Share" and it creates listener on a default 172.x.x.x IP range. That range is NOT in the docker compose, its not on the DHCP mapping for my router, and its not part of the Unraid NAS I'm running this thing on. So my assumption is there is some configuration file within Calibre that is saying to "try" initially on 172.x.x.x as a listener.

I can port forward external to internal, but because NOTHING internal on this network has a 172.x.x.x IP I can't actually forward to that IP because its not mapped anywhere. Like if I go to my router and look at all IP's assigned to devices, there is not one that is 172.x.x.x they are all 192.x.x.x.

I believe if I can find where that configuration is set and change it to use a static 192.x.x.x my port forwarding will work. Or then I can use wireguard back to my internal network and hit the listener port. But for the life of me, I cannot find any configuration around the share / listener port. I thought I Found an article that was a couple years old calling out a plugin in the "tweaks" section but I did not have it. So this is a base install, I've added no plugins beyond the ones that came with the initial install.
Old 04-05-2024, 12:59 PM   #5
jhughes2466

See attached screenshot. Why is it defaulting to 172.x.x.x?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	calibre.png
Views:	27
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	207360  
Advert
Old 04-05-2024, 02:32 PM   #6
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
It's showing that address as that is the IP address WITHIN the container. You'll never see ANY mention of the real network address within the container.

You have to define a mapping from some external port to the internal container port of 9544.

PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote