Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-26-2022, 05:11 AM   #1
albare
Connoisseur
albare could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.albare could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.albare could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.albare could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.albare could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.albare could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.albare could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.albare could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.albare could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.albare could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.albare could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: kobo h2o
Number of pages in a book

Is some option or some hack to see the pages (approx) in the list of books?
At this moment I am sorting the books by size but is not the same because books with images are bigger.

Enviado desde mi SM-A705FN mediante Tapatalk
albare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 05:14 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by albare View Post
Is some option or some hack to see the pages (approx) in the list of books?
At this moment I am sorting the books by size but is not the same because books with images are bigger.

With Calibre, you can use the count pages plugin to get a page count and a word count.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2022, 11:19 AM   #3
albare
Connoisseur
albare could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.albare could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.albare could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.albare could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.albare could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.albare could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.albare could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.albare could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.albare could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.albare could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.albare could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

But I can transfer this page count to the book list in Kobo?

Old 01-26-2022, 11:57 AM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Why not ask your questions in the Count Pages plugin thread in the Calibre Plugins forum?
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 01:05 PM   #5
albare
Connoisseur

Sorry! My question is not from calibre. I don't use calibre and I don't know is a plugin for the pages.
I only need to know if is some way to see the pages in Kobo of all books.
Some times I am searching without a computer a little book in Kobo ebook and I need to enter one to one to see the pages.
I have 400 books pending to read in the ebook.

Advert
Old 01-26-2022, 02:40 PM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sorry, I misunderstood what you wanted. Simple answer to your question would be no.

The idea of pages in a reflowable format ebook is a bit silly. Depending on screen size. font size, margins, line spacing, etc., the number of pages/screens will differ. All the Count Pages plugin really offers is a way to compare the number of pages it calculates per book so you could say a book with 450 pages will take approximately twice as long to read as a book with 225 pages.
Old 01-26-2022, 04:47 PM   #7
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by albare View Post
Sorry! My question is not from calibre. I don't use calibre and I don't know is a plugin for the pages.
I only need to know if is some way to see the pages in Kobo of all books.
Some times I am searching without a computer a little book in Kobo ebook and I need to enter one to one to see the pages.
I have 400 books pending to read in the ebook.

Are you opposed to using calibre? If you use calibre, I think you could do what you want, but I don't know how automated you could make it.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 07:31 PM   #8
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
The idea of pages in a reflowable format ebook is a bit silly. Depending on screen size. font size, margins, line spacing, etc., the number of pages/screens will differ. ...
I wouldn't say silly. Even if each page is four or five screens, at least with the old style page numbering you have a general idea of the length of the book. Kobo is mostly unique with their KePub screen-to-page numbering scheme. PocketBook has a similar option, but it also allows you to use "standard" ePub page numbering. Also, unlike Kobo, all other ePub readers that I know of, have page numbers beside their Table of Content entries. (Which I find useful when I want to know if I'm about done with a chapter.) It's also useful when you've got two or three or(?) different brands of eReaders and you switch from one to the other. I can say I quit reading on page 60 of the Nook, and pick up the Tolino and type in "60" as the page number.

Still not a fan of the page per screen method of numbering (in case you hadn't figured that out).
rcentros is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 11:52 AM   #9
milady133
Groupie
milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Hisense A5
It's not so useful since now you already have a lot of books you need to classify then one by one, but I have a collection defined specifically for short stories, I have a big To Be Read list, I'm normally reading more than one book at the same time, a "normal" book for longer intervals of reading time and a short story (or a collection of shorts) for five minutes intervals.

You could use Calibre to get the word count of your books and create collections depending on word count, one or various depending on what you need. But yeah, that it's going to take some time to make it work.
milady133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 12:57 PM   #10
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I wouldn't say silly. Even if each page is four or five screens, at least with the old style page numbering you have a general idea of the length of the book.
I have no issues with using a page count utility to get an idea of how long it will take to read the book. If the algorithm used to generate the page counts is moderately reliable, the results are useful enough.

What I find silly is the people who expect to find meaningful page numbers in an ebook. You can find some ebooks that have pagelists, one example being a recent purchases by my wife which has the pagelist entries to match the original hardcover release of the book. An idea that sounds great but sadly since her book club is mostly reading various paperback or ebook editions, those numbers are rather useless.
Old 01-27-2022, 12:59 PM   #11
albare
Connoisseur

Yes! Is a good idea. I see in Kobo I can order by series.
I can assign serie "0" for books with less than 100 pages. Serie "1" for 100 to 200 pages. Etc
I think I can edit the database and assign the serie to the books. (With a little of work to discover the pages one to one) or installing calibre and this plugin for the pages.

Old 01-27-2022, 01:57 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I wouldn't say silly. Even if each page is four or five screens, at least with the old style page numbering you have a general idea of the length of the book. Kobo is mostly unique with their KePub screen-to-page numbering scheme. PocketBook has a similar option, but it also allows you to use "standard" ePub page numbering. Also, unlike Kobo, all other ePub readers that I know of, have page numbers beside their Table of Content entries. (Which I find useful when I want to know if I'm about done with a chapter.) It's also useful when you've got two or three or(?) different brands of eReaders and you switch from one to the other. I can say I quit reading on page 60 of the Nook, and pick up the Tolino and type in "60" as the page number.

Still not a fan of the page per screen method of numbering (in case you hadn't figured that out).
KePub on a Kobo is not 1 screen = 1 page. I don't know how Kobo does KePub page numbers.
Old 01-27-2022, 06:52 PM   #13
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
KePub on a Kobo is not 1 screen = 1 page. I don't know how Kobo does KePub page numbers.
No, 1 screen is 1 page. Unfortunately, there are bugs that mean the page count isn't perfect and there are some repeats, usually near the middle of a longer chapter or the very last page of a chapter. But, it's a hell of a lot closer than you are implying. I don't really pay attention as I only use the page count as a rough estimate of where I am. But, paging through my current book, which has chapters between 17 and 30 pages in my normal font size, there were no mid-chapter repeats. The last page repeat was there for some chapters. I doubt it has been fixed completely, but, I it probably isn't as bad as it has been.

But, sorry, suggesting that the kepub page counting is unusable because it isn't perfect while promoting the weird Adobe algorithm is just funny.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 09:34 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I've not used KePub with 4.30. So if the page numbering has been fixed in 4.30 or 4.31, I would not have seen it. If I do install 4.31, I'll give KePub a try and see how the page numbers go.
Old 01-28-2022, 09:42 PM   #15
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I've not used KePub with 4.30. So if the page numbering has been fixed in 4.30 or 4.31, I would not have seen it. If I do install 4.31, I'll give KePub a try and see how the page numbers go.
Which basically means that you are posting about things you don't actually know about, or are willing to test yourself.

But, that wasn't my point. You stated that Kepubs are not 1 screen = 1 page. That is not the true. It is intended to be 1 screen = 1 page. But, like most software out there, there are bugs and the full book page numbering is not perfect. But, the chapter page counts are correct and are 1 screen = 1 page.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote