Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 08-07-2016, 07:31 AM   #1
adannada
adannada began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aldiko
Question on how to edit text margins (avoiding corner)

Hi everybody,
I'm a long time user of Calibre but just for pretty basic stuff.

My Kobo Mini is in its last days and nowadays it works partially with a (probably broken) "frozen" corner, but the rest of the screen still looks readable.

I found around the forum some old posts mentioning that some feature in the Calibre Editor allow to set a Top or side margin (with pixels? %?) so the text of the resulting epub file would fit into the working section of the screen.

Could someone give me a hint on how to do that (if it's possible)? I went around every option on the Edit section and I didn't find anything...

Thanks in advance!
adannada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 11:14 AM   #2
Thom*
The Fumbler
Thom* began at the beginning.

Device: android 4.2/fbreader
You might consider adding or modifying the following in the css file.

body {
margin-left: 6.5em;
}

Pick the margin you want to increase and change the value of em as you see fit.
Thom* is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-07-2016, 11:21 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom* View Post

body {
}

That won't work in may cases. But, an @page should work.

However, the problem is that the screen is broken and eventually will get worse. I suggest a replacement.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 11:24 AM   #4
adannada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom* View Post

body {
}

Thank you, I'll try that!
Old 08-07-2016, 11:27 AM   #5
adannada

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
That won't work in may cases. But, an @page should work.
Thanks for the tip. With the same kind of syntax that the body line suggested by Thom?

(And yes, a replacement will come soon, I was just trying to take some advantage of the last rays of life of my dear Kobo Mini until then )
Advert
Old 08-07-2016, 01:17 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by adannada View Post
Thanks for the tip. With the same kind of syntax that the body line suggested by Thom?

(And yes, a replacement will come soon, I was just trying to take some advantage of the last rays of life of my dear Kobo Mini until then )
Yes, similar syntax. Yes any combination of margins that you need. @page set the margins for the page and any other margins work off of those set in @page.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 07:46 AM   #7
adannada

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Yes, similar syntax. Yes any combination of margins that you need. @page set the margins for the page and any other margins work off of those set in @page.
I'll try (In fact, already trying, let's see if my old pal gets to load something to check if it works).

Thanks again to both!
Old 08-08-2016, 12:40 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by adannada View Post
I'll try (In fact, already trying, let's see if my old pal gets to load something to check if it works).

Thanks again to both!
Borrow one (copy) from another book , Paste, Adjust the numbers to taste
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 09:10 PM   #9
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
As we are talking about a Kobo device, you might be able do this without editing the book. The KoboTouch driver supports adding some CSS to all stylesheets in the book during the send to the device. The instructions are in here. Using @page with this might not work as they are treated a little differently than other styles. Part of the reason for doing this was to have a way to remove @page styles, but I have forgotten whether they will be put in if they don't already exist.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote