Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-19-2021, 10:23 AM   #166
Carmelocotonto
Connoisseur
Carmelocotonto began at the beginning.

Device: kobo Clara HD, Onyxboox C67
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman View Post
Hi all, I've released a beta version of v0.5.3. Releasing as beta due to limited testing. If no issues are uncovered, I will convert to a full release.

This release is primarily aimed at reducing memory usage, which hopefully allows for larger libraries to be used. YMMV on the library size howerver.

Note, books will now appear to take longer to send to the Kobo, as I've changed how the thumbnail images are created.

This release also fixes a bug that didn't disable thumbnail generation when asked.

As usual, this release can be found at releases page of the GitHub repository.
I have tried it and all is ok. Same before, with version 0.5.2. My library has about 800 books.
thanks.
Only one question: when I connect with calibre, kobo-UNCaGED scans my device, and when I upload a book to device, kobo-UNCaGED scans again all books in device, and so on. Each book that I upload causes a new scan of the device. Is it a normal thing?.

EDIT: No, now is very very slow. It is reading metadata several minutes before conectting. I go back to version 0.5.2

Last edited by Carmelocotonto; 02-20-2021 at 06:10 PM.
Carmelocotonto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 07:20 AM   #167
richstant
richstant began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Hi, I've recently switched to Kobo Uncaged because my laptop has limited ports. One thing I miss compared to the kobotouchextended driver is collections - I have quite a big library, and replicating my calibre grouping into collections on the kobo is helpful. Is there any way to replicate this functionality in kobo uncaged already?
richstant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2021, 06:30 AM   #168
sherman
Guru
sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by richstant View Post
Hi, I've recently switched to Kobo Uncaged because my laptop has limited ports. One thing I miss compared to the kobotouchextended driver is collections - I have quite a big library, and replicating my calibre grouping into collections on the kobo is helpful. Is there any way to replicate this functionality in kobo uncaged already?
I'm afraid not. I've never figured out how the shelves/collections work on Kobo, or Calibre. Since I personally don't use that feature it has been (very) low on the priority list I'm afraid.
sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 12:44 PM   #169
richstant
richstant began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
I'm afraid not. I've never figured out how the shelves/collections work on Kobo, or Calibre. Since I personally don't use that feature it has been (very) low on the priority list I'm afraid.
That's a shame, but thanks for letting me know!
richstant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 07:19 PM   #170
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Actually creating the collections and adding books to them is easy. Both are just inserts into the database. The complication is working out what changes to make. And a smaller complication if a collection has been deleted.

The code is in the driver and should be followable. But, I'm happy to answer questions.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2021, 07:29 PM   #171
sherman
Guru
sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Actually creating the collections and adding books to them is easy. Both are just inserts into the database. The complication is working out what changes to make. And a smaller complication if a collection has been deleted.

The code is in the driver and should be followable. But, I'm happy to answer questions.
There's also the "Smart device" driver side to figure out as well.

I might get to it one day. No promises though.
Old 10-17-2021, 08:41 PM   #172
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
There's also the "Smart device" driver side to figure out as well.
The Smart Device driver is building a dictionary based on the collection columns. That is keyed by the collection name and each entry is a list of the file paths for the books on the device. Then it is "just" building the database updates based on the dictionary.

You could also ignore what the driver supplies and do the configuration and collection building on your side. That means your code has to build the list that needs to be updated from the metadata in the books, but, it might give you more control.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 08:49 PM   #173
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
This seems to have either broken, or just does not work with the Kobo Sage.

Running
Kobo firmware 4.31.19086
NickelMenu 0.5.4
NickelDBus 0.2.0 (I installed this over what KU installed just in case neither made a difference)
KU 0.5.3Beta1

What happens:

KU's NM item is there, running it the first time did install nickel dbus (since installed over but at least this far it appeared to be doing what it was supposed to). After the NDbus install, subsequent runs of KU produce the following results: Starting KoboUNCaged, running precautionary library rescan, kobo uncaged Finished.

This happens with wifi on OR off, it never prompts me to turn it on.

The same setup works as expected on a Kobo Forma running 4.31.19086 so it does not appear to be the firmware.

Steps taken to fix the issue:

1) Installed ndbus manually just incase it was a weird case of an old version
2) re-downloaded NM and KoboUncaged to ensure I was on the specified versions
3) turned wifi on just in case connecting was the issue
4) since my Sage is patched and I can't recall what patches might conflict nor what patches i had on my Forma, I reinstalled the 4.31 firmware to wipe all patches out

None of the above has had any affect on the process that happens upon running KU.

ETA 1- Apparently the Libra 2 is *also* affected by this issue.

Unfortunately I'm not sure if it's 4.31.19086 on these devices or just these devices. I'll try installing 4.30 on one and see if that fixes it. Though I have my doubts.

ETA 2- Tried 4.30 on the Libra 2 to the same result.

ETA 3- So feeling like a dunce, I checked the log which pretty much confirms it's a Sage/Libra 2 issue:

Code:
Apr 08 21:25:44 [Kobo-UNCaGED] Enabled loopback interface
Apr 08 21:25:44 [Kobo-UNCaGED] Starting Kobo UNCaGED
[Kobo-UNCaGED] 2022/04/08 21:25:44 Started Kobo-UNCaGED
[Kobo-UNCaGED] 2022/04/08 21:25:44 Creating KU object
[Kobo-UNCaGED] 2022/04/08 21:25:44 Getting Kobo Info
[Kobo-UNCaGED] 2022/04/08 21:25:44 New: failed to get kobo info: New: unknown device
[Kobo-UNCaGED] 2022/04/08 21:25:44 New: failed to get kobo info: New: unknown device
Apr 08 21:25:44 [Kobo-UNCaGED] Running precautionary library rescan
Apr 08 21:25:47 [Kobo-UNCaGED] Disabled loopback interface

Last edited by MGlitch; 04-08-2022 at 09:28 PM.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 05:48 PM   #174
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
As a follow up, the issue had already been reported and solved and I'd just missed it.

https://github.com/shermp/Kobo-UNCaGED/issues/43 has the link any Libra 2 or Sage owners will need until an official release is made.

Many thanks to Sherman as always for this wonderful utility.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 06:01 PM   #175
sherman
Guru

v0.5.5 released, supports Libra2 & Sage

Finally, a new release!

Primary purpose of this release is to support the new Libra 2 and Sage devices. Apologies for taking so long on this.

Release can be downloaded here.
Old 04-19-2022, 09:43 PM   #176
jeff47
Connoisseur
jeff47 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jeff47 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jeff47 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jeff47 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jeff47 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jeff47 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jeff47 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jeff47 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jeff47 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jeff47 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jeff47 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: Kobo Libre H20
Hmm... I'm not getting anywhere with this. On my Libra H20, I can use the beta browser and see the calibre server contents at HTTP://192.168.1.54:8088. When I try the same connection info in UNCaGED, I get to the screen where it says "Connecting to Calibre", but then it flashes a brief error and UNCaAGED closes, just saying "Finished!".

The log says this:

Code:
Apr 19 21:34:39 [Kobo-UNCaGED] Enabled loopback interface
Apr 19 21:34:39 [Kobo-UNCaGED] Starting Kobo UNCaGED
[Kobo-UNCaGED] 2022/04/19 21:34:39 Started Kobo-UNCaGED
[Kobo-UNCaGED] 2022/04/19 21:34:39 Creating KU object
[Kobo-UNCaGED] 2022/04/19 21:34:39 Getting Kobo Info
[Kobo-UNCaGED] 2022/04/19 21:34:43 Getting Device Info
[Kobo-UNCaGED] 2022/04/19 21:34:43 Reading Metadata
[Kobo-UNCaGED] 2022/04/19 21:34:43 [debug] Getting book count from DB
[Kobo-UNCaGED] 2022/04/19 21:34:43 [debug] Getting list of ContentID's from DB
[Kobo-UNCaGED] 2022/04/19 21:34:43 [debug] Reading metadata.calibre
[Kobo-UNCaGED] 2022/04/19 21:34:44 [debug] Reading metadata from DB and ebook file where required
[Kobo-UNCaGED] 2022/04/19 21:34:44 [debug] Skipped parsing epub/kepub for 0 of 2 books
[Kobo-UNCaGED] 2022/04/19 21:34:44 Reading password cache
[Kobo-UNCaGED] 2022/04/19 21:34:44 Preparing Kobo UNCaGED!
[Kobo-UNCaGED] 2022/04/19 21:34:44 Starting Calibre Connection
[Kobo-UNCaGED] 2022/04/19 21:35:44 Start: packet reading failed: readDecodeCalibrePayload: connection closed: readTCP: connection timed out: read tcp 192.168.1.231:53441->192.168.1.54:8088: i/o timeout
[Kobo-UNCaGED] 2022/04/19 21:35:44 Start: packet reading failed: readDecodeCalibrePayload: connection closed: readTCP: connection timed out: read tcp 192.168.1.231:53441->192.168.1.54:8088: i/o timeout
Apr 19 21:35:44 [Kobo-UNCaGED] Running precautionary library rescan
Apr 19 21:35:49 [Kobo-UNCaGED] Disabled loopback interface
Not sure what to try, since my Kobo is able to get to the Calibre server using that IP and port from the internal browser, so it doesn't seem to be a port/IP issue. There's nothing at all in the Calibre server log when UNCaGED tries -- it does not appear that any connection attempt was made.

Any suggestions?

I have telnet up on the device, so happy to help troubleshoot.

Last edited by jeff47; 04-20-2022 at 10:49 AM.
jeff47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 06:36 PM   #177
sherman
Guru

Hi, sorry for the delayed reply.

Sounds like you are trying to connect to the content server, which won't work.

In Calibre, choose Connect/share -> Start wireless device connection. Also, manually entering the IP address & port is not required in most cases, KU will automatically discover Calibre.
Old 04-22-2022, 10:01 AM   #178
jeff47
Connoisseur
jeff47 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jeff47 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jeff47 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jeff47 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jeff47 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jeff47 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jeff47 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jeff47 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jeff47 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jeff47 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jeff47 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: Kobo Libre H20
Quote:
Hi, sorry for the delayed reply.

Sounds like you are trying to connect to the content server, which won't work.

In Calibre, choose Connect/share -> Start wireless device connection. Also, manually entering the IP address & port is not required in most cases, KU will automatically discover Calibre.
Oh my gosh. That's so embarrassing. Yes, it works fine once I actually use it correctly.

Last edited by jeff47; 04-22-2022 at 10:11 AM.
jeff47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 05:37 PM   #179
sherman
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff47 View Post
Oh my gosh. That's so embarrassing. Yes, it works fine once I actually use it correctly.
Great to hear!

And don't worry, we've all made that mistake, including myself, so don't feel too bad.
Old 04-22-2022, 06:36 PM   #180
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Yup, happens to the best of us (mine might even be immortalized on github ;p).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote