Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Server

Notices

Old 07-11-2020, 03:40 PM   #1
chantw0968
Enthusiast
chantw0968 began at the beginning.

Device: sony e-reader
Scrolling Problem

Lately, I am unable to scroll through an ebook unless I keep scrolling. This might have happened because of an update. But, I updated to the most recent release 4.20 and that did not fix the issue. I even thought that it was my mouse. So, I replaced it with a better one and that did not fix the problem. I am currently using Logitech M510 on Windows 10. Please help it's very annoying to have to scroll 3 times on the wheel to go only 1 page. I have resorted to using my keyboard to get to another page.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

chantw0968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 03:48 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Preferences in the viewer: scrolling
scroll by page
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	viewer-scroll.JPG
Views:	197
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	180536  
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-11-2020, 04:13 PM   #3
chantw0968
Enthusiast
chantw0968 began at the beginning.

Device: sony e-reader
So like before when we could simply scroll using the mouse, that function is not available? Now we have to click the margins on either side to go forward a page and backward a page?
chantw0968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 05:23 PM   #4
thiago.eec
Guru
thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, Kindle Paperwhite
I have experienced the same problem after updating to 4.20.
But I think the problem is already solved for the next release, according to this bug report: https://bugs.launchpad.net/calibre/+bug/1886231

P. S.: I've tested it running from source, but it didn't work. But, IIRC, the Viewer is built on the fly in that case, so it might not work 100% as expected.
thiago.eec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 06:06 PM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by thiago.eec View Post
I have experienced the same problem after updating to 4.20.
But I think the problem is already solved for the next release, according to this bug report: https://bugs.launchpad.net/calibre/+bug/1886231

P. S.: I've tested it running from source, but it didn't work. But, IIRC, the Viewer is built on the fly in that case, so it might not work 100% as expected.
I think you should report that it's not working at launchpad, your assumption regarding 'built on-the-fly' may be false

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2020, 08:44 PM   #6
Kuram
Enthusiast
Kuram began at the beginning.

Device: PW1, KAO (current)
I'm getting the same issue now. I usually infrequently update so I couldn't tell you what my old version was, but it now takes 3 'ticks' of mouse-wheel scrolling to advance one page.
Kuram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 04:06 AM   #7
jbacelar
Interested in the matter
jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook InkPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuram View Post
it now takes 3 'ticks' of mouse-wheel scrolling to advance one page.
The same happens to me.
jbacelar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 02:20 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbacelar View Post
The same happens to me.
seems to ignore the setting in preferences.
Spacebar is an alternate FORWARD 1 page
Shift spacebar 1 back
Old 07-18-2020, 03:00 PM   #9
thiago.eec
Guru
thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
seems to ignore the setting in preferences.
Shift spacebar 1 back
Well, if you are using the Paged Mode, you can just Arrow Down/Up to change pages. But, the problem here is for people using mouse.
It always worked fine, but now, to solve a problem for touchpads*, it broke things for, at least, some mouses (mine included).

I'm not here criticizing. I know Kovid tried to solve the problem for those using touchpads, but it seems that the solution brought a problem for others that were just fine.

*A fix was made to solve the problem of touchpads passing many pages for the slightest movement.
Old 07-18-2020, 05:29 PM   #10
jbacelar
Interested in the matter
jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Shift spacebar 1 back
A spacebar is not the same as mouse-wheel.
Old 07-18-2020, 06:00 PM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbacelar View Post
A spacebar is not the same as mouse-wheel.
Uhmm
I date before Mice were commonly used with PC's (the original IBM PC. Floppies only) so I know there are alternate ways of navigating (although I am running into a few app that you MUST use a mouse or other pointing device, because TAB, and arrows just move that pesky focus or pointer

FWIW I remember Wordstar (~4.x) making fun of Word slowing folk down by having them use a mouse. they even included a timed 'typing test' using both ways
Old 07-18-2020, 08:09 PM   #12
thiago.eec
Guru

Quote:
Uhmm
I date before Mice were commonly used with PC's (the original IBM PC. Floppies only) so I know there are alternate ways of navigating (although I am running into a few app that you MUST use a mouse or other pointing device, because TAB, and arrows just move that pesky focus or pointer

FWIW I remember Wordstar (~4.x) making fun of Word slowing folk down by having them use a mouse. they even included a timed 'typing test' using both ways
Sure... keyboard is always my first option. But, sometimes, I like using the mouse. Also, there might be others that are mouse only people. The goal is to be flexible, reaching every one.
Old 07-18-2020, 08:12 PM   #13
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by thiago.eec View Post
Sure... keyboard is always my first option. But, sometimes, I like using the mouse. Also, there might be others that are mouse only people. The goal is to be flexible, reaching every one.
Oh yes, they type in data and must use the mouse to click OK when a simpl 'enter' will do the job because the OK has those tiny lines around it (box), that makes it the default action.
Old 07-19-2020, 12:19 AM   #14
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Since apparently wheel mice behave wildly differently and there is no reliable way of guessing what a given mouse will produce, I suppose the only fix is to add an option to control this behavior, for wheels that generate pixel scrolls.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 03:21 AM   #15
jbacelar
Interested in the matter

Wonderful idea.
Thank you very much, Kovid.

And I hope you are recovering as provided.

Last edited by jbacelar; 07-19-2020 at 03:24 AM.