Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Server

Notices

Old 08-03-2023, 10:16 AM   #1
Ramzay
Ramzay began at the beginning.

Device: SONY PRS-650
ERROR: Failed to start Content server: Could not start the Content server.

As I am starting calibre v.6.23.0, I received the following error:

calibre, version 6.23.0
ERROR: Failed to start Content server: Could not start the Content server. Error:

No socket could be created -- (('192.168.1.10', 8080): [WinError 10013] An attempt was made to access a socket in a way forbidden by its access permissions)

I tried changing the port to some other values (8081, 8090), but it results in the same error.

The computer that hosts calibre is running Norton 360, yet the Norton's security log does not show any blocked traffic via the listed ports or related to calibre app. Moreover, the error happens even when Norton Smart Firewall is disabled.

Does anybody have an idea what is the reason for the error and how it might be addressed?

Thank you.
Ramzay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2023, 10:20 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Something on your computer is blocking the calibre server from opening a port to listen on. Reboot in safe mode and verify it works there then you can be sure its one of the services running on you computer.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2023, 05:33 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I dropped Norton decades ago as it got way too aggressive, and was difficult to even white list my network printer.

If you are not one of those that clicks on every link or visit dodgy sites, Windows Defender is just fine.
BTW Even uninstalling Norton will be a pain.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2023, 05:34 PM   #4
Comfy.n
want to learn what I want
Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Calibre E-book viewer
Norton is a virus
Comfy.n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2023, 10:50 AM   #5
Ramzay
Ramzay began at the beginning.

Device: SONY PRS-650
Thank you.

Kovid,

I would like to thank you once more for the excellent product you created and have been maintaining for so many years.

Regarding your advice, after I submitted my case, I discovered that someone claimed that the error cleared itself after a reboot. I did the regular reboot, and the problem was resolved. Thank you very much.

I'm sorry that a legitimate discussion of a calibre issue has devolved into an irrelevant debate about the qualities of other tools.
Ramzay is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert