Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-29-2012, 11:21 PM   #1
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
Should I wait for a kindle with GlowLight?

Hey gang,

I have a kindle Fire but I'm finding that I'm only using the reader app and I'm finding that I really don't need the LCD except for reading at night. I'm considering selling it and getting the nook reader with the light since it's lighter, works outdoors, and has a battery that lasts much longer.

Do you think Amazon will release something similar soon? Should I wait for Amazon to catch up?
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 12:07 AM   #2
techiegirl
Groupie
techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Mini, iPhone 6+
I am fairly certain Amazon will release a Kindle similar to the GlowLight. I did sell my Kindle Fire and bought the GlowLight last week. I've used it for 2.5 days already and am very happy with it. It is so much lighter than my Kindle Touch with the lighted case.
techiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2012, 12:42 AM   #3
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
I've been waiting for Amazon to put Flex lighting on an eInk Kindle model. I wont be heartbroken if they don't, but I would sell someone else's kidney for a Kindle with Flex lighting.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:00 AM   #4
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrodad View Post
Hey gang,

I have a kindle Fire but I'm finding that I'm only using the reader app and I'm finding that I really don't need the LCD except for reading at night. I'm considering selling it and getting the nook reader with the light since it's lighter, works outdoors, and has a battery that lasts much longer.

Do you think Amazon will release something similar soon? Should I wait for Amazon to catch up?
Amazon is working on Lighted Kindle it's been seen in the wild. My guess for release will be in the Fall as that was when the last Kindle came out. I am hoping sooner but Amazon has never been one to jump up when a new nook product is out.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 06:26 AM   #5
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre 1, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle, Kobo Libre Colour
Sold your Fire? I can't imagine. I love my Fire! No way would I trade it for a Nook Glow! I use my Fire to read in bed in the dark, or I can use one of my book lights for my K3 or my Sony. It's not an all or nothing, for me! I have 2 e-ink readers and a Fire, when Amazon makes a lighted e-ink, I might have that one too. But sell my Fire? Never!
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2012, 06:58 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
But sell my Fire? Never!
"Never" is a long time. Do you really think you'll still have it in 5 years? 10 years? 20 years?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:32 AM   #7
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Sold your Fire? I can't imagine. I love my Fire! No way would I trade it for a Nook Glow! I use my Fire to read in bed in the dark, or I can use one of my book lights for my K3 or my Sony. It's not an all or nothing, for me! I have 2 e-ink readers and a Fire, when Amazon makes a lighted e-ink, I might have that one too. But sell my Fire? Never!
I felt the same way when I first purchased my Fire, but I have found that I am using it less and less as a tablet and more as a reader. It sits on my night stand every day and is only turned on when I read at night during the week or on the weekends. I don't use it for movies (I have a TV for that), I don't use it to browse the web when I'm at home (I have an iPad for that), and I don't use it to read on the go (I have a smartphone for that). So I gained the ability to read in the dark and not disturb my wife. That's about it.

Anyway, thanks for all of the feedback. I really hope Amazon releases something soon. If not, I may find myself over at my B&N and picking up the nook with GlowLight.
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:13 AM   #8
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
I use several Bible Android Apps on my Kindle Fire so an eInk Glow Light won't be the be all and end all for me. However, when Amazon introduces it, I'd buy it and give away my Kindle Keyboard.

I used to use Osnova Direct Jump Bibles on my Kindle Keyboard and they do not operate properly on the Kindle Fire. If they work properly on the Kindle Glow Light, that would be a plus for me.

Frankly, its hard to see the small key letters in reduced light settings in Church on the Kindle Keyboard. A Kindle Glow Light would fill that need especially if it has a Virtual Keyboard.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:18 AM   #9
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre 1, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle, Kobo Libre Colour
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
"Never" is a long time. Do you really think you'll still have it in 5 years? 10 years? 20 years?
Well who knows....I guess if it was still working. But maybe not. Always something new around the corner, right?

The point is I really like it
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:22 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Heck, I think I've done well if I keep a device for a year!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:56 AM   #11
Zeebra
Evangelist
Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
It all depends on what you want I suppose. I had the Kindle keyboard for 1 year, then I switched to the new Kindle (non-touch) because I liked the smaller form factor and I rarely used the actual keyboard on my old Kindle. I might be tempted to get a glowlight version for low-light conditions, but I find I have enough light to read with my bedside lamp at night so it might not entice me. I can't see myself replacing the Kindle non-touch anytime soon (unless it breaks of course)
Zeebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 12:09 PM   #12
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Right on

Quote:
Its the same with me. There are three reasons I buy a Kindle: reading eBooks, playing with Android Apps AND the toy value of new devices.

I always buy the latest and greatest since I enjoy new toys and have been doing so since 1925.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 12:10 PM   #13
techiegirl
Groupie
techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Mini, iPhone 6+
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrodad View Post
I felt the same way when I first purchased my Fire, but I have found that I am using it less and less as a tablet and more as a reader. It sits on my night stand every day and is only turned on when I read at night during the week or on the weekends. I don't use it for movies (I have a TV for that), I don't use it to browse the web when I'm at home (I have an iPad for that), and I don't use it to read on the go (I have a smartphone for that). So I gained the ability to read in the dark and not disturb my wife. That's about it.

I was in the same situation before I sold my KF.
techiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 12:14 PM   #14
Harry_Y
Addict
Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle DX, Galaxy Tab 2
Get Both

I have a Kindle 3, a DX and I had a fire that I replaced with a Tablet

They all have their place
Harry_Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:24 PM   #15
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
I'd be tempted by a glowlight version of Kindle, but it won't replace my Fire (used for magazines like The New Yorker, videos, and playing Angry Birds more than reading). And I doubt I'd get rid of my Kindle 3G. For one thing, having the older Kindle Keyboard allows me to do things like grab the Dragon Ship eARC while waiting for the Ferry this weekend, with no WiFi connection. Couldn't have done that with a Touch or the Fire either.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote