Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 04-03-2010, 12:45 PM   #1
rakista
Edge User

3g/4g USB devices

Will you support 3G/4G USB modems as well as Wireless N modems ?

Old 04-23-2010, 04:09 PM   #2
kenjennings
Edge User

USB device support is primarily provided by Android. There is much debate at the Android site here about support or lack of it for certain kinds of devices. In the thread it appears to some that phone manufacturers are twisting arms to limit use of certain classes of USB hardware in Android. The annoying part for us is that Edge is not a phone and we users consider it a no-brainer that these kinds of USB devices should be supported.

Advert
Old 12-17-2010, 03:53 AM   #3
kveroneau
Edge User

Android does use a standard Linux kernel, and on my Linux laptop, 3G modems do work perfectly fine. All that needs to be done, is to add this module to the Linux kernel source tree for android and re-compile. Then when the device is plugged in, the kernel will take over the device. The only thing enTourage would need to do, is develop an app which would connect to an APN and enter a PIN if needed. This is done by most 3G modems by using ATDT commands, which are very simple. Then the connection app, which would use the Android included pppd daemon.

When I first bought the device I was thinking of re-compiling the kernel to add such support, but in the end I do not want to brick a $500 unit by replacing the kernel with one I made and one which may not work correctly. Hopefully enTourage works on this soon, as it is a vital feature for any portable device.

On my device, I now see a settings menu called "Mobile broadband", which I can set-up APNs. This is a sign that they are indeed working on it and showing us what is to come in a later update.

Old 02-27-2011, 03:54 PM   #4
TheGreg
Edge User

Comment from a Newbie

This feature, or lack of, has stopped my from buying an EE. I want to use it on the job for business. My work as a road warrior places my outside of wifi. I would use a BT earpiece for a phone, get a VoIP line and place my cell phone in a museum display. Why can't this happen?

TheGreg
Austin

Old 02-27-2011, 04:54 PM   #5
sarah11918
Edge User

We find that a portable wifi router (mifi) does the trick for us. Data connections are really expensive in Canada, so a connection for each device doesn't make much sense for us. A mifi can fit in your pocket, power all your devices and doesn't add any bulk to your devices. (Seriously, if you are ever within a few feet of us and we have it turned on, you'll see a network called "MyPants")

I understand why Americans, with your lavishly convenient and affordable data plans, are complaining. But I wouldn't choose a 3G device even if the option were available. We have the data connection on our phones turned off at by the cell company to avoid accidental usage.

Advert
Old 02-27-2011, 07:00 PM   #6
borisb
Edge User

Note that the AT&T 3G USB modem does work with the eDGe... (it's just not built-in)

Old 02-28-2011, 01:24 AM   #7
kveroneau
Edge User

What is the model does AT&T have? My SIM has PIN, maybe that's why its not working.

Old 02-28-2011, 10:16 AM   #8
borisb
Edge User

See http://www.entourageedge.com/forums/...urage-Dualbook. I only have the info shown in the KB article.

Old 03-02-2011, 12:08 PM   #9
kveroneau
Edge User

Oh my god! The PIN was the problem! It now successfully connects to my Telus 3G connection. This definitely makes my eDGe and my 3G stick more useful now. Someone should compile a list of working sticks and also put in the KB that the SIM PIN needs to be disabled.

Link to my providers website: http://www.telusmobility.com/en/ON/h...2e/index.shtml
The device is: Huawei E182E