Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-29-2016, 08:58 PM   #1
fmorato
fmorato began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW2
Lightbulb Blog Articles to ebook (epub/kindle/pdf)

Hello,

I got my first Kindle 4 months ago and couldn't find many options for converting blog articles to digital book format. Something that is possible to open/download on a kindle browser would be even better.

In lack of any findings, I started writing a simple app that does that. It is not perfect, so i'm wondering: Is there such a service available? Or should I improve my app more?

Do you know any such websites?

So far this is what I have: http://epubfy.herokuapp.com
There are many bugs still. =] and only generates epubs.

Feedbacks comments appreciated.
fmorato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 09:51 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
calibre can do that, assuming someone has previously made a news recipe to scrape the site in question.
Getting it to work reliably on any possible input sounds like an interesting challenge.

I don't really need such services myself, and I certainly don't know what options there might be, but kudos for trying and I wish you a lot of luck.

An observation: calibre can convert your generated EPUB to AZW3, alternatively you could use Amazon's KindleGen (maybe in combination with KindleUnpack to make it smaller).
Then you can simply download the AZW3 using the Kindle's builtin browser -- which can download Kindle-compatible ebook formats and automatically add them to your library.

You could also use calibre's codebase as a reference to implement your own MOBI/AZW3 conversion engine -- it is GPL3 and written in python. Or extract the bits you need (since installing a couple hundred MB worth of Qt and other support framework for a large GUI application is not ideal on a server that just needs to convert books to Kindle format).

Last edited by eschwartz; 03-29-2016 at 09:54 PM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-29-2016, 10:33 PM   #3
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
I'm probably missing something, but I don't see a need for you creating a service for the Kindle, since there are several ways to just click and get the article to automagically appear on the Kindle once you get it in wi-fi range. For free. Examples:
- Amazon's own (can send to multiple Kindles, and it'll save in your Personal Documents if you want)
- this Klip.me Chrome extension
- this FiveFilters Android app

I use all three. The Amazon one is the least reliable.

They do not try to capture more than the single page (single URL) you give it, and none of those three capture the blog article's comments.
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 10:36 PM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Well, none of the three can be used *from* the Kindle. I don't know whether that might be considered an important feature...
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 11:03 PM   #5
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
Ahh, OK. I thought I was missing something. In fact, I still may be missing something. How does he copy/paste on the Kindle the URL of the blog into his conversion page?
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-03-2016, 12:29 PM   #6
fmorato
fmorato began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW2
Thanks for your feedback!

I might still go on to develop a bit more even if no one is using it. It has been a nice way to learn about web technologies. =] And a bit of coding.

@eschwartz, I might try to get the AZW3 from calibre, that's a good idea. Thanks.

@jj2me, Thanks for the links I didn't know about them.

Opening from the kindle would be somehow to access the 'library' on the go. Not to convert new articles.
fmorato is offline   Reply With Quote