Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 10-10-2023, 04:46 AM   #1
neil_swann80
neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB632 [HD3]
Pocketbook 632 aka Touch HD3 - DARK MODE

I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere...

I was experiencing some glitchy freezing on my device, not wanting to perform a factory reset and lose data I tried a manual update instead, downloading the SWUPDATE.BIN file (6.8.2102) from Pocketbook support to my device and starting the upgrade.

I don't know if it's fixed the glitching/freezing I was experiencing... BUT I now have dark-mode available! Bonus!

I'd recently checked for OTA updates and the system stated I already had the latest version despite not having dark mode available.

Last edited by neil_swann80; 10-10-2023 at 02:41 PM.
neil_swann80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2023, 01:29 PM   #2
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil_swann80 View Post
I'd recently checked for OTA updates and the system stated I already had the latest version despite not having dark mode available.
I had checked OTA recently, also went to PocketBook's support site and didn't see any upgrades a couple weeks ago, but they say it was released on August 31st. Apparently they just took a while getting it uploaded and/or posted and linked.

I don't know if I'll update as I'm happy with how the HD 3 works now and don't really like dark mode. I'm always leery of bugs. And there are quite a few "Core changes" in the release notes.

Quote:
1. Added DARKmode, recommended for reading in the dark. When the DARKmode is activated, the letters are displayed light and the background is dark, so that the background of the e-book page does not contrast with the dark surroundings and the eyes are not impaired.

It is possible to enable or disable the inversion of illustrations in the settings («Frontlight & DARKmode»). This option is only available if DARKmode is activated.

2. The control panel of the device can now be configured, that is, the most often used controls can be arranged on the control panel according to the user’s preferences. The following controls can be put there: Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, Task Manager, Flight mode, Synchronization, G-Sensor, Lock, Power off, Screenshot, Search and the shortcuts of all applications. Moreover, the quantity of controls in this control panel can also be configured.

3. Now it is possible to filter the list of notes in a book in the Notes Application and in the Reading Program. It is possible to separately select markers, comments, screenshots, pencil notes, translation notes and all notes.

4. Added the possibility to change the font size in the list of notes in the Notes Application and in the Reading Program.

5. A new firmware update UI makes the firmware update procedure more convenient. Before downloading or after installing a new firmware, you can see the list of changes to this firmware as a user-friendly formatted list. Moreover, three is now the possibility to automatically download the firmware in the background. After download, the user only need to consent to the installation of the firmware update.

6. Added the possibility to download and install morphological dictionaries to significantly improve the quality of translation of words while reading with the dictionary. Morphological dictionaries allow to lead different forms of words back to the underlying infinitive or basic form. This helps to better find them in databases of dictionaries.

7. Added the Text Suggestions feature to the screen keyboard.
More fixes and improvements posted here...

https://support.pocketbook-int.com/f...ch_HD_3_EN.pdf

I'm guessing (don't know for sure) that they're making the HD 3 match the features of the new Verse Pro. I wasn't sure there was going to another update for the HD 3.

Still nothing about whether you can turn the Touch Screen Lock back on if you turn it off. I had to revert to an older version of the software to get that working again (then re-upgrade to 6.7 again) – as the choice was not in the Menu (Double press) option. I'm hoping they fixed that in this newest update, but I don't see it mentioned in the list of fixes.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2023, 01:31 PM   #3
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Meant to mention this...

Quote:
5. A new firmware update UI makes the firmware update procedure more convenient. Before downloading or after installing a new firmware, you can see the list of changes to this firmware as a user-friendly formatted list. Moreover, three is now the possibility to automatically download the firmware in the background. After download, the user only need to consent to the installation of the firmware update.
I like being able to see what will change before upgrading. I wish other brands would do this.
Old 10-11-2023, 10:40 PM   #4
neil_swann80
neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Still nothing about whether you can turn the Touch Screen Lock back on if you turn it off. I had to revert to an older version of the software to get that working again (then re-upgrade to 6.7 again) – as the choice was not in the Menu (Double press) option. I'm hoping they fixed that in this newest update, but I don't see it mentioned in the list of fixes.
You can set a double-press of the menu key to turn on/off touch, BUT only within the two reading modes; one mode for epubs etc, a separate mode for PDFs etc where pinch-to-zoom is often required. I think this was the same in the previous version. This is fine for me as reading mode is the only time I'd want touch disabling.
Old 10-12-2023, 01:47 PM   #5
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
You can set a double-press of the menu key to turn on/off touch, BUT only within the two reading modes; one mode for epubs etc, a separate mode for PDFs etc where pinch-to-zoom is often required. I think this was the same in the previous version. This is fine for me as reading mode is the only time I'd want touch disabling.
Release 67 (on my HD 3 at any rate) defaulted with the double-press to "disable touch screen" set on. But someone complained that they didn't have that feature, so I was going to show them how to change it, but when I turned it off, there was no choice to turn it back on (in either ePub or PDF). PocketBook support's fix was to reset the HD 3 (which I did and found out there was a lot of things I had to do to get it back to normal). Like an idiot I tried it again. Same result, so I downgraded the version (this time) reset the double-press "touch screen off" and then upgraded back to 67, which was easier. (Or maybe I've reversed the order, maybe reset was the second "fix.")

At any rate, if this "disable touchscreen" selection is back in with 68, and there's a choice to turn it back on again, that sounds good. I should probably upgrade to test it.
Old 10-12-2023, 10:47 PM   #6
neil_swann80

I can definitely toggle touch on and off via a double-press of the menu key in the reading app (after setting the key for the epub/ebook reading mode).

I quite like the darkmode, it's far clearer than the darkmode within KOReader. I always read before sleeping, as I suffer from bouts of insomnia reducing the amount of light (especially blue) before I sleep seems to help. The room is noticeably darker with darkmode enabled when reading.

Last edited by neil_swann80; 10-13-2023 at 11:39 AM.
Old 11-27-2023, 03:47 PM   #7
rhayes
rhayes began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 632 et al
Easy reactivation of Touch Panel Deactivation

The Touch Panel Deactivation feature disappeared on my Pocketbook 632 after the latest software upgrade, as it did with other people's. What restored it very easily for me was to go into the Settings and click the button Check for New Upgrades. Of course it came back that there were no new upgrades, but delightfully, the touch panel deactivation was back.
rhayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2023, 01:38 AM   #8
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhayes View Post
The Touch Panel Deactivation feature disappeared on my Pocketbook 632 after the latest software upgrade, as it did with other people's. What restored it very easily for me was to go into the Settings and click the button Check for New Upgrades. Of course it came back that there were no new upgrades, but delightfully, the touch panel deactivation was back.
That's good to hear. I guess I'll probably upgrade. Any change to battery life with the new(est) upgrade?
Old 11-28-2023, 03:28 AM   #9
neil_swann80

I haven't noticed an increase in battery drain. I don't think I'm charging my device any more than usual... still seems to be weeks between charge cycles.
Old 11-28-2023, 01:43 PM   #10
rhayes
rhayes began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 632 et al
Quote:
That's good to hear. I guess I'll probably upgrade. Any change to battery life with the new(est) upgrade?
I cannot comment on any changes to battery life but then I haven't been using it very much since the upgrade.

I will take this opportunity to suggest that if you haven't tried either the audiobooks or the text to speech feature, they are astonishingly good. I recently treated myself to some bluetooth earbuds and paired them to the Pocketbook 632 and was astounded at how well the text to speech sounded. The audiobook player continues to work even after the screen goes to sleep, and I have noticed that the audiobook player does not drain the battery much.
rhayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2023, 06:50 PM   #11
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
I haven't noticed an increase in battery drain. I don't think I'm charging my device any more than usual... still seems to be weeks between charge cycles.
That's good to know. Thanks for the repsonse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhayes View Post
I cannot comment on any changes to battery life but then I haven't been using it very much since the upgrade.

I will take this opportunity to suggest that if you haven't tried either the audiobooks or the text to speech feature, they are astonishingly good. I recently treated myself to some bluetooth earbuds and paired them to the Pocketbook 632 and was astounded at how well the text to speech sounded. The audiobook player continues to work even after the screen goes to sleep, and I have noticed that the audiobook player does not drain the battery much.
I'm surprised to hear the battery stands up well to text to speech and audiobooks. I've only tried these features long enough to see if they worked.

Thanks for the information.
Old 11-30-2023, 02:50 AM   #12
EastEriq
Groupie
EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Cybook Orizon, PocketBook Touch HD
Quote:
I'm surprised to hear the battery stands up well to text to speech and audiobooks. I've only tried these features long enough to see if they worked.
It might well be that here is a significant difference in drain between driving wired headphones (typical power of the final audio stage ~100s mW) and transmitting bluetooth data (optimized, perhaps switching to low power transmission since earbuds are closeby). I miss a estimate for the latter, but consider that then the audio power is provided by the buds batteries (and they last only for hours, but are much smaller). I tend to think, though, that cpu has to be on all the time when synthetising TTS, and that adds up.
EastEriq is offline   Reply With Quote