Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-22-2023, 11:25 AM   #1
Cedros
Enthusiast
Cedros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cedros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cedros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cedros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cedros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cedros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cedros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cedros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cedros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cedros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cedros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara; Kobo H20v2; Kobo Glo HD;
Rakuten Survey re: White or black Kobo Libra 2 & H20

This morning I received an emailed survey from Rakuten, very brief, asking if I had a Kobo Libra 2 or H20, and if so, what colour it was, and why I'd chosen that colour. Interesting! I wonder if Rakuten is trying to decide how cost-effective or not it is to offer a colour choice with some Kobo Readers. I chose a white Libra H20 and like the way the white frame opens up the page--more like reading a print book. If available, I'd choose a white e-reader again, but would be happy with black. Anyone else have a preference? Do you think it makes any difference to the reading experience?
Cedros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2023, 11:35 AM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Always black for me. I'd never buy a white ereader. White bezels reduce contrast IMO.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2023, 11:43 AM   #3
TheSmitty
Addict
TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite SE, Libra 2, Oasis 3, Boox Note Air 3C, iPad Pro 11
For me it is always black as well.
TheSmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2023, 12:05 PM   #4
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
I have the 2015 Nook Glowlight Plus with a white bezel and like it. I really like the looks of the current blue Kindle Basic.

When I start reading, I find the bezel 'falls away' regardless of the color. It would be nice to have a choice of device colors.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2023, 01:18 PM   #5
readthinksurvive
Connoisseur
readthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmos

Device: kindle oasis; kobo elipsa/libra; pocketbook 741; SNA4X
i always go with black simply cause
readthinksurvive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2023, 03:49 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I didn't have a choice. When I bought the Libra 2, the only color available at the time was the black.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2023, 04:17 PM   #7
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedros View Post
This morning I received an emailed survey from Rakuten, very brief, asking if I had a Kobo Libra 2 or H20, and if so, what colour it was, and why I'd chosen that colour. Interesting! I wonder if Rakuten is trying to decide how cost-effective or not it is to offer a colour choice with some Kobo Readers. I chose a white Libra H20 and like the way the white frame opens up the page--more like reading a print book. If available, I'd choose a white e-reader again, but would be happy with black. Anyone else have a preference? Do you think it makes any difference to the reading experience?
I didn't receive any survey email.

I had two white Sony readers, T-1 and T-2 and I loved them. (Still have the T2.) I also had a Nook Wifi that was white. That particular reader I rehomed within a year, but it wasn't because of the color.

I ordered my first Kobo in white (Aura HD), but thanks to warranty issues on two separate white devices, I ended up with a working device in espresso brown and got used to it, even if it wasn't my preference. So I'm over the device color thing. Most of it, other than the bit around the screen is hidden by a case anyway.

It's cases that I want color choice on. I love the light green case on my Sage!

Would I have bought a white Sage if it had been a choice? Possibly. But I like the contrast between the light cover and the black device, so possibly not.

I just want Kobo to continue making great e-readers, if confining device color choice to basic black helps with that, I'm good. If they opt to continue a color choice, also good!
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2023, 04:31 PM   #8
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by graycyn View Post
Neither did I. I've never received any survey from Kobo in the 12 years I've been their customer. Perhaps only Canadians do.
Old 06-22-2023, 04:48 PM   #9
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by graycyn View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Neither did I. I've never received any survey from Kobo in the 12 years I've been their customer. Perhaps only Canadians do.
Add me to the list of those who did not receive the survey email.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2023, 05:03 PM   #10
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Add me to the list of those who did not receive the survey email.
The only emails I get are purchase confirmations.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2023, 05:33 PM   #11
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Libra Colour, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Oasis3, Voyage
No survey here, either. And I have two whites to add.

Edit: Funny, survey dropped in my inbox while posting here. The last question was complete and total b******t.

Last edited by Skydog; 06-22-2023 at 05:51 PM.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2023, 04:35 AM   #12
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I got black, because my eyes are sensitive to light, and I didn't want the white bezel to reflect more of it. I guess a grey bezel would be ideal to decrease the contrast between the screen and the bezel compared to black without drawing attention to the fact that the canvas isn't white the way a white bezel does.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2023, 04:49 AM   #13
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I have the 2015 Nook Glowlight Plus with a white bezel and like it. I really like the looks of the current blue Kindle Basic.

When I start reading, I find the bezel 'falls away' regardless of the color. It would be nice to have a choice of device colors.
Maybe it's just me, but the white bezel seems to lessen the contrast. The fonts seem lighter to me with a white bezel.

On the other hand, a white bezel can allow you to run your margins right to edge and you still seem to have a margin. (More so with a flush screen, like the original 6" Glowlight Plus.)
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2023, 07:24 AM   #14
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Maybe it's just me, but the white bezel seems to lessen the contrast. The fonts seem lighter to me with a white bezel.
No, it's not just you.
Old 06-23-2023, 11:40 AM   #15
Cedros
Enthusiast
Cedros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cedros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cedros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cedros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cedros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cedros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cedros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cedros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cedros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cedros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cedros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara; Kobo H20v2; Kobo Glo HD;
It sounds as if the black bezel is preferred. Glad to hear someone else has received the survey! This is the first time in years I've received a survey invitation from Rakuten. It would be interesting to know how the results will be used, and what they have in their design plans. I agree completely that what really matters is the quality of the e-reader. The colour of the bezel and even of the case are secondary, but it's nice to have a choice (and, yes, for sure, especially with the case).
Cedros is offline   Reply With Quote