Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 10-18-2023, 11:49 PM   #1
sgclark
Read head
sgclark began at the beginning.

Device: Yomu
OPDS Connection Not Working

I'm trying to connect my Yomu e-book reader on my iPad to my Calibre app and book collection on my Mac over the OPDS method. This method has worked previously with this reader and Calibre. I can't recall when I was last successful making the connection.

I am following the instructions to the letter in the Yomu app and I keep on getting the "Failed to load contents" error message.

I'm typing into the Yomu settings --> http://<my-ip-address>:8080/opds

I have also tried putting this IP string into a browser and it is not loading.

My understanding is that I need to add /opds after the Port number - I've tried this in lower case and upper case and nothing is working. Also tried with password and without password.

My Calibre app is up to date with the latest version.

I'm not sure if others are experiencing this. Any help and guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Stephen

Calibre 6.28.1
MacOS Sonoma 14.0
iPad OS and iOS 17.0.3
sgclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2023, 02:36 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
I'm typing into the Yomu settings --> http://<my-ip-address>:8080/opds
gotta ask
You did replace this <my-ip-address> with the actual address assigned to your system?
something like 192.168.0.22

And you have started the Calibre content server? (replace 8080 above if you use a different port)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2023, 07:45 AM   #3
sgclark
Read head

No worries.

Yes and Yes to both questions.
Old 10-19-2023, 10:25 AM   #4
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Works fine for me with the server running on windows, both from my phone and from my computer.

Try http://127.0.0.1:8080/opds from a browser on the computer running the calibre server. If this works then the problem is probably a firewall setting or the equivalent of an antivirus for Macs.

EDIT: If the 127... works but a URL with the IP address doesn't work from a phone (or something) then you WiFi network might be blocking intranet connections. There are many reasons it might do this.

If it doesn't work then the content server process is blocked or not running. To determine if it is running and listening, try in a terminal the Mac-equivalent of
Code:
netstat -tavp
You should see the calibre content server in the list along with the port.

If it isn't in the list then you need to start it either from the command line or from the calibre GUI.

Another possibility is that the port, apparently 8080, is being used by some other process so calibre can't use it. In this case calibre won't appear in the netstat list.

Try running calibre in debug mode (right click on Preferences then "restart in debug mode") to check for any errors in the debug log.

Last edited by chaley; 10-19-2023 at 10:28 AM.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2023, 12:50 PM   #5
sgclark
Read head

I tried the IP address Calibre is displaying.
I tried the 127 one you suggested above.
I changed the port to 7070 (via Calibre app/interface) just incase the port is being used somewhere else.
Nothing has worked.

I do have a NAS that I recently added to my home network and I am wondering if that may be causing issues.

I am not that technically advanced regarding Mac Terminal, so I'm not familiar with what you are talking about re 'netstat -tavp'? Could you provide more 'idiot proof' guidance with this item?

I won't be able to try 'debug' mode until later today or over the weekend.
Advert
Old 10-19-2023, 01:45 PM   #6
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgclark View Post
I am not that technically advanced regarding Mac Terminal, so I'm not familiar with what you are talking about re 'netstat -tavp'? Could you provide more 'idiot proof' guidance with this item?
Sorry, but I don't use a Mac so can't give detailed instructions. The command I gave works on Linux and a similar one works on Windows, so I am sure it exists.

Can you use the content server? What happens if you start the content server from calibre (Preferences / Sharing over the net) and then use calibre's "Test server" button?
Old 10-19-2023, 01:46 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
In a terminal or console or command prompt is where you type commands just as shown. then press enter.

The results should appear.

BTW many of these Network commands are common across OS. It is the results display that vary (but not the info)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2023, 01:55 PM   #8
sgclark
Read head

OK. So this item is now fixed. And it is a really interesting situation.

I have a eero Mesh wifi router. I had previously been using Cloudflare's 1.1.1.1 DNS service (https://1.1.1.1/) but had disabled it on my WIFI router/network for some reason recently. I was having other tech issues unrelated to this.

When I re-enabled the 1.1.1.1 DNS on my eero Router/network, the OPDS connection between Calibre and my ebook reader Yomu worked fine.

So I believe this tells me that, as you suggested, there is some setting on my base WIFI network/app that is disabling this sort of feed/connection.

Calibre reverted the port back to :8080 so there was no conflict with the port. It was def something in my WIFI settings. Any thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated!

Thank you for your help!!!

Stephen
Old 10-19-2023, 03:50 PM   #9
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
DNS shouldn't matter when you are using IP addresses. Clue in name. DNS maps human readable names (that might not have a domain suffix if on LAN) to IP addresses.

Some other setting (maybe a static route or DHCP) is wrong.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2023, 04:02 PM   #10
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
DNS shouldn't matter when you are using IP addresses. Clue in name. DNS maps human readable names (that might not have a domain suffix if on LAN) to IP addresses.

Some other setting (maybe a static route or DHCP) is wrong.
My guess is that the change was more "global" than DNS, perhaps turning on isolation mode or guest networking. The usual default with guest networking is that a machine on the guest net can't see a machine on the main net. If using full isolation then no machine on the lan can "see" other machines on the lan (think "hotel").
Old 10-19-2023, 05:12 PM   #11
sgclark
Read head

No, I didn't make any changes to isolation mode. My wifi has a 'guest mode' however that was not a factor here. Both my computer and my iPad were always connected to my primary network.

What I did was go into the DNS settings of my router and changed them back from "ISP DNS (Default)" to "Custom DNS" and then used the instructions from Cloudflare, as you can see below, to return my eero router to using 1.1.1.1 for IPv4 Primary and 1.0.0.1 for IPv4 Secondary. After I did this, the OPDS capability worked.

https://developers.cloudflare.com/1.1.1.1/setup/router/

I've reached out to eero Customer Service to see if they can help out to determine why making this change enabled the OPDS to work and what settings I need to change on my WIFI to prevent this from happening again if I ever move away from using the Cloudflare 1.1.1.1 service.
Old 10-20-2023, 04:37 AM   #12
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Isolation of some sort if both are on WiFi is on by default on most routers with airpoints/WiFi, though DNS settings shouldn't affect that.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote