Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-23-2023, 07:51 PM   #1
Critteranne
Guru
Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Crossword Puzzle Ebooks?!

Did you know that you can now do crossword puzzles on the Kindle Scribe? I bought a crossword puzzle book to try it out -- and I like it. You can even bookmark the Solutions page, just in case you need (ahem) help.

So far, it's a small collection, and the puzzles can only be done on the Kindle Scribe. They have crossword puzzle books from famed editor Will Shortz as well as Push Puzzles and a few others.

One downside: In the crossword puzzle book I got, larger puzzles are split so that the clues are on one page and the grid is on the next.

Does anyone know of other eInk devices that support this? (I know there are crossword puzzle apps for phones and tablets, but I've enjoyed doing this on eInk more.)

At this point, I should probably stick to paper. But I've been having fun. (I might change my mind when I get to the Hard puzzles.)
Critteranne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2023, 04:26 AM   #2
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Any ereader that supports real PDFs and on page annotation with a digitiser pen. Probably possible on reMarkable (the two models are similar), Kobo Sage and Kobo Elipsa. I think that Meebook, Onyx and Pocketbook also have suitable models?
Some models may also support using epubs.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2023, 12:59 PM   #3
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Some links to crossword puzzles:

https://krazydad.com/crosswords/

I have a WaPo subscription and they have a number of crosswords that can be downloaded to PDF. The clues and puzzle fit onto a single page on Scribe. (I usually also download PDF with solution, in case I need to cheat).

The same site has a lot of other 'paper and pencil' puzzles (Sudoku etc) that work very well on Scribe.

Last edited by tomsem; 09-25-2023 at 02:47 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2023, 08:44 PM   #4
Critteranne
Guru
Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Any ereader that supports real PDFs and on page annotation with a digitiser pen. Probably possible on reMarkable (the two models are similar), Kobo Sage and Kobo Elipsa. I think that Meebook, Onyx and Pocketbook also have suitable models?
Some models may also support using epubs.
Hmm... I should experiment with PDF puzzles and see how they work...
Old 10-01-2023, 08:50 PM   #5
Critteranne
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalann View Post
Wow! I didn't even know there was such a thing, since I haven't even been interested in crossword puzzles since my school days. I will try to solve such crossword puzzles, to remember my childhood
I used to do them all the time when Dell still published the Dell puzzle magazines. When they sold them off, I didn't like them as much. Once you're no longer used to doing them, it's harder to get back into them.

I wish Amazon would bring back "Active Content" for eInk Kindles. I used to play Slingo on my first Kindle, and I earned most of the badges. But now, those things no longer work.
Old 10-01-2023, 11:31 PM   #6
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Critteranne View Post
I used to do them all the time when Dell still published the Dell puzzle magazines. When they sold them off, I didn't like them as much. Once you're no longer used to doing them, it's harder to get back into them.

I wish Amazon would bring back "Active Content" for eInk Kindles. I used to play Slingo on my first Kindle, and I earned most of the badges. But now, those things no longer work.
The Sudoku app for Kindle remained my favorite for a long time (I still have a Kindle Touch). But there's something about solving them the 'old fashioned way' on my Scribe that makes it even better than an app or paper. I just like forming the numbers with handwriting and being able to Undo or start over cleanly when go down the wrong path. Best of both worlds.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2023, 08:36 AM   #7
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
I've found sites with "printable" crossword puzzles. On my iPad Pro, I share the web page into the Notability app, where I can fill them in with the Apple Pencil.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2023, 08:39 AM   #8
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
You can copy & paste ANY Web crossword to LO Writer or Word with a suitable page size, then Export as PDF.
A screenshot & image crop then PDF works for stupidly designed websites.

There are many apps that will work with Pencil on iPad for this.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crossword, crossword puzzles, kindle scribe, puzzles, scribe