Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-28-2024, 07:21 PM   #1051
GrandNeko40
GrandNeko40 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Lightbulb custom dictionary feature request

i posted this as its own topic yesterday, but after reading the reply from geek1011, i've come across this patch request thread and it appears to be a more appropriate place for my request. repost below:

Quote:
recently i started re-reading a book on my libra 2, that i hadn't read in several months. i keep encountering character/location names that i feel sort of foggy on, and it got me wondering whether anybody knows of a feature that allows me to set what would effectively be a custom dictionary entry for a given word.

for example: i'm reading a passage in which the character Tina mentions their friend, Chester. i don't really remember who Chester is. i would like to be able to tap-and-hold the name Chester and add an annotation like, "this is Tina's friend from medical school". then, whenever i encounter the name Chester further on in the book, i can tap the word -- in any location, not just the original word occurrence where i made the annotation -- and it will show me my custom note/reminder.

is anyone aware of a patch/mod that enables such a thing?

thanks!
GrandNeko40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 10:41 AM   #1052
LuisBrandao
LuisBrandao began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E
Help please!!

I tried to tweak around with header/ footer margins and, line spacing and what not and now whenever I highlight the top row of text of a page, I can still see some of that highlight in the bottom of the previous page. I tried to disable all the patched I added but it looks like that thing stuck!

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Thank you so much!
Luís
LuisBrandao is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-07-2024, 10:52 AM   #1053
LuisBrandao

Something like this: https://ibb.co/KVP0qpR

Old 03-07-2024, 04:42 PM   #1054
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You can't disable patches. You have to perform another update with the stock firmware image (or at least the stock versions of the files you patched) to revert the changes.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 04:56 PM   #1055
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
You can't disable patches. You have to perform another update with the stock firmware image (or at least the stock versions of the files you patched) to revert the changes.
Yes installing the firmware again does work. But you can disable the patches by changing all the YES to NO and redoing the patches.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-07-2024, 05:32 PM   #1056
LuisBrandao

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Yes installing the firmware again does work. But you can disable the patches by changing all the YES to NO and redoing the patches.
I did this method and it indeed reverted the patches. But I could never get rid of the line in the bottom of the previous page. Even when the kobo was all back to normal.
Old 03-07-2024, 06:23 PM   #1057
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's possible that your problem is just a bug in the firmware. Try using a larger font size and/or wider line spacing and see if the problem goes away. If it does, then it's not related to the patches (unless you didn't revert them properly).
Old 03-07-2024, 06:43 PM   #1058
LuisBrandao

I'm considering I didn't revert them properly as well. Doing a Factory reset keeps most of the patches, which is weird. I can I revert them properly in that case?
Old 03-07-2024, 07:06 PM   #1059
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuisBrandao View Post
Help please!!

I tried to tweak around with header/ footer margins and, line spacing and what not and now whenever I highlight the top row of text of a page, I can still see some of that highlight in the bottom of the previous page. I tried to disable all the patched I added but it looks like that thing stuck!

Does anyone know how to fix this?
FWIW, and I may be wrong, I'm not convinced that this is a patch-related problem. It looks more like a problem with the reading app. Is this a kepub by any chance? The kepub reading app is known to have minor cosmetic problems at the end/start of a page when it considers the line spacing is "too small". It's also possible that using a different font may make a difference because some fonts have "unusual" internal line spacing metrics.

If it is a kepub you could try sending the book as a standard epub instead because the Adobe reading app will be used rather than the kepub reading app.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 08:30 PM   #1060
Aleron Ives
Wizard

Quote:
Doing a Factory reset keeps most of the patches, which is weird. I can I revert them properly in that case?
No, it's not weird. A factory reset erases your user settings but doesn't touch the firmware, and thus it has no effect on firmware patches. You have to "update" the firmware again with unpatched files in order to revert the changes you made.
Old 03-08-2024, 02:05 AM   #1061
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
I'm considering I didn't revert them properly as well. Doing a Factory reset keeps most of the patches, which is weird. I can I revert them properly in that case?
Quote:
No, it's not weird. A factory reset erases your user settings but doesn't touch the firmware, and thus it has no effect on firmware patches. You have to "update" the firmware again with unpatched files in order to revert the changes you made.
It depends on which factory reset you use. The factory reset from Device Information does not affect the installed firmware version. The factory reset from the Developer Options submenu of the Device Information menu or a manual factory reset will revert the firmware to the factory version.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 03:23 AM   #1062
Aleron Ives
Wizard

Sure, but that's not what you want. You want a stock version of the current firmware, not a stock version of the launch firmware.
Old 03-08-2024, 07:13 AM   #1063
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Sure, but that's not what you want. You want a stock version of the current firmware, not a stock version of the launch firmware.
Personally, when I here "factory reset" I think a reset to how I received it when I brought it.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 07:21 AM   #1064
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You could try installing the latest firmware again and that should work.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 08:51 AM   #1065
LuisBrandao

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Personally, when I here "factory reset" I think a reset to how I received it when I brought it.
That was my goal and I though a factory reset (the regular one, in Device Information) would do that, but it didn't.

I ended up manually installing a previous version of the firmware and then doing a regular update and that worked for the factory reset.

But then I did the same patches and the problem appeared again. I think I'm just gonna give up. It's not that annoying

Tags
kobopatch, patches, patching, request, requests