Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 12-04-2020, 02:12 AM   #1
yujji
yujji began at the beginning.

Device: none
Kobo Plus (subscr.) DeDRM conversion possible?

Hi all,

I'm new, so please be gentle with me.

I am using Calibre 4.2.3, and have installed both tools in DeDRM Tools 6.8.1

When I saw this:

Release: 4.23 [21 Aug, 2020]
New features

Kobo driver: Add support for new firmware. Also add recognition of 'Kobo Plus' subscription books

I thought that I would be able to grab (and make local DRM-free copies of) books from a Kobo Plus subscription, perhaps in conjunction with the Obok DeDRM plugin. But so far, DRM remains on most books I've tried (the only ones I could read were some free ebooks from Kobo and one Kobo Plus book from a small publisher that maybe didn't have any DRM to start with).

Is there a way to convert most Kobo Plus books using Calibre (along with DeDRM?) so that they are readable?
yujji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 02:32 AM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by yujji View Post
Hi all,

I'm new, so please be gentle with me.

I am using Calibre 4.2.3, and have installed both tools in DeDRM Tools 6.8.1

When I saw this:

Release: 4.23 [21 Aug, 2020]
New features

Kobo driver: Add support for new firmware. Also add recognition of 'Kobo Plus' subscription books

I thought that I would be able to grab (and make local DRM-free copies of) books from a Kobo Plus subscription, perhaps in conjunction with the Obok DeDRM plugin. But so far, DRM remains on most books I've tried (the only ones I could read were some free ebooks from Kobo and one Kobo Plus book from a small publisher that maybe didn't have any DRM to start with).

Is there a way to convert most Kobo Plus books using Calibre (along with DeDRM?) so that they are readable?
Since authors only get paid when you read your Kobo Plus books in the Kobo apps or on Kobo readers, don't remove the DRM or keep the books in calibre. (Feel free to keep a record in calibre about the book, but not the book itself.)
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert