Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-03-2016, 02:57 PM   #1
Phoenix57
Phoenix57 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook simple Touch Glow
Help starting out right....

Hi, although I am not new to reading ebooks I have only purchased from B&N and only used a nook. I am going through the process now of learning how to get my extensive Nook library downloaded so that I can keep it in my own library as opposed to just on my nook. That being said I have several questions...
1. How to buy from multiple sources and be able to read them from (preferably) an eink device that is self lighted. I like the simple touch glow but am open to other suggestions.

2. What kind of library software is best and directions to a tutorial on using it.

3. Suggestions for organizing everything. Since I will be starting off with the 800 or so I have in the nook library I would like to start out the most user friendly efficient way possible.

Not really very computer savvy but I can learn most anything especially if the tutorial is a visual one.

Thanks in advance.
Phoenix57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 03:16 PM   #2
Patchicat
Enthusiast
Patchicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patchicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patchicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patchicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patchicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patchicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patchicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patchicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patchicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patchicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patchicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Tablet; Nook HD+; Nook Samsung Tab 3
Since you are using a Nook, I suggest you download and install the Nook for PC program. I am presuming you are running Windows. There also is a program, Nook Study, which you can download and install. I do not recommend downloading and installing the Nook Windows App, although it should work as well.

Download and install Calibre. Then do a search for Apprentice Alf and download and install the tools.

Once you do those things, you will be able to get your Nook books onto your hard drive. With Nook for PC or Nook Study, the books will download to Documents/My Barnes & Noble eBooks under your account email. You can add them to Calibre, which will take care of any DRM issues you might have.

There are other sources of ebooks on the web where you can purchase the books in epub format for sideloading onto your Nook.

The important thing is that once you have the ebooks downloaded to your hard drive, ported into Calibre and future proofed, you can make as many back up copies as you need to ensure you do not lose anything.
Patchicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-03-2016, 04:27 PM   #3
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Also (as always with data) backup your library on removable storage, and with some form of online solution.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 05:44 PM   #4
Phoenix57
Phoenix57 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook simple Touch Glow
I have a Mac and put nook study and nook for Mac and neither work to get my books, they will not log on to B&N. I am going to try what MGlitch suggested in this thread...https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ight=Phoenix57
Phoenix57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 10:31 PM   #5
Patchicat
Enthusiast
Patchicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patchicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patchicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patchicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patchicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patchicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patchicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patchicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patchicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patchicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patchicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Tablet; Nook HD+; Nook Samsung Tab 3
Sounds good. I know nothing about Apple products.
Patchicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert