Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 10-27-2021, 12:15 PM   #1
Tuneraider
Connoisseur
Tuneraider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tuneraider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tuneraider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tuneraider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tuneraider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tuneraider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tuneraider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tuneraider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tuneraider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tuneraider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tuneraider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle, Tolino, Nook
Nook upgrade Glowlight 3 to 53.0.114

Nook upgrade Glowlight 3 to 53.0.114.
The larger Glowlight went to 53.0.67. It mentioned fixing the Adobe borrowing bug.
I didn't see a update for the smaller Glowlight plus except early Aug.
Tuneraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 01:15 PM   #2
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuneraider View Post
The larger Glowlight went to 53.0.67. It mentioned fixing the Adobe borrowing bug.
Thanks! I'll check my Glowlight 3 and old Plus after work.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2021, 06:02 PM   #3
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
They still didn’t fix the font problem, so my Nook sits on the shelf, unused.

Jim
Strether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 08:50 PM   #4
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strether View Post
They still didn’t fix the font problem, so my Nook sits on the shelf, unused.

Jim
Font problem?
Old 10-27-2021, 09:46 PM   #5
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Both my Glowlight 3 and 2015 Glowlight Plus received updates.
Glowlight 3: 53.0.114/5.5.0.31
Glowlight Plus: 53.0.115/5.5.0.31
Advert
Old 10-27-2021, 10:44 PM   #6
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Font problem?
Yeah, the font size problem. They need to offer more options at the lower end of their sizes--the jump from 3 to 4 is too large a jump. As it is, the Glowlight Plus is perfect for those who need large print books. I wouldn't feel comfortable reading those and I'm not comfortable reading with the available sizes.

I know there are work-arounds involving Calibre; the Nook is not so exceptional an e-reader that it's worth the trouble. So, it sits on the shelf.

Jim
Strether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 01:54 AM   #7
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Font problem?
Too big of a jump between font position 3 and 4 is my issue. Fonts in position 3 are just a little too small (for me) and in position 4 are too big. Positions 1 and 2 are too small — positions 5 through 15 are worthless. In position 15 the single word "trampled" takes up a whole line (and there are four lines per page). So, basically, for most folks, you can use 2 or 3 of the 15 font steps — the rest are a waste. I'm not saying get rid of all the huge fonts, I was just want some finer steps in the lower end. For me, a half-way point between 3 and 4 would be perfect. I think the the font size choices were better a couple releases back.
rcentros is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 02:14 AM   #8
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuneraider View Post
The Overdrive borrowing bug has been fixed on the Glowlight 3. I can now use the DeASCM Calibre plugin to download an Overdrive book (with its DRM management intact), move that book to the Nook and it will read it. So I'm happy about that.
Old 10-29-2021, 12:23 PM   #9
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strether View Post
Yeah, the font size problem. They need to offer more options at the lower end of their sizes--the jump from 3 to 4 is too large a jump.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Too big of a jump between font position 3 and 4 is my issue.
Huh. I always leave it on 4.

As an experiment, I checked the font sizes on my current book, using a non-indented sentence.
On font size 3 a single line reads:
'From the house in front of him Dood heard the beginning'
On font size 4 I get:
'From the house in front of him Dood heard the'

It doesn't feel like an egregious jump. But then I am so used to reading at font size 4, I may just be used to it.

I wonder if there's an email you can send software improvement suggestions to? There seem to be simple software improvements that would make users very happy, like more font sizes, add your own fonts. Maybe bring back the custom screensaver folder (or allow current book cover to be your screensaver).

There's a lot more I'd like to see, but those seem fairly easy to implement.

Last edited by ZodWallop; 10-29-2021 at 12:27 PM.
Old 10-29-2021, 07:11 PM   #10
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Huh. I always leave it on 4.
Position 4 is not my "norm" on other eReaders. It "feels" too big. I think in position 4 you get 18 to 19 lines per page. In position 3 you get about 23 or 24. Most of my reader's font sizes are set to a font size that gets me about 21 lines per page. It's subjective, but that's what "feels" right for me.

I have sent an email to support in the past, and asked that it be passed along to those who develop the firmware. I guess I can try again, but I've got a feeling it won't go anywhere. I really don't understand the huge fonts, but maybe that's because some books are scaled to a really small standard font size?
Old 10-29-2021, 10:30 PM   #11
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
I really don't understand the huge fonts, but maybe that's because some books are scaled to a really small standard font size?
I have seen more than one book where the CSS has font-size: small used for body text. But I doub't that is what the B&N folks were thinking of when they designed the font sizes.
Old 10-30-2021, 04:41 AM   #12
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
I have seen more than one book where the CSS has font-size: small used for body text. But I doub't that is what the B&N folks were thinking of when they designed the font sizes.
Their font size "steps" were never that good (always skewed to being way too big) but it seems like they didn't have quite so few choices at the lower size end.
Old 10-30-2021, 11:40 AM   #13
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Their font size "steps" were never that good (always skewed to being way too big) but it seems like they didn't have quite so few choices at the lower size end.
I think most readers should get rid of their larger font sizes. Most readers allow you to enlarge the fonts to ridiculous proportions.

But really, those crazy large fonts don't hurt anyone. it's not like the software is restricted to rendering fonts in 16 different sizes. it's just how the software was designed to make it appear simple.

Maybe Nook and Kindle should both take a lesson from Kobo and their font slider.
Old 11-10-2021, 09:41 AM   #14
kyrilson
Fanatic
kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, Oasis, Kobo Glo HD,iPad Pro, Sony 350 and T2
Quote:
Position 4 is not my "norm" on other eReaders. It "feels" too big. I think in position 4 you get 18 to 19 lines per page. In position 3 you get about 23 or 24. Most of my reader's font sizes are set to a font size that gets me about 21 lines per page. It's subjective, but that's what "feels" right for me.

I have sent an email to support in the past, and asked that it be passed along to those who develop the firmware. I guess I can try again, but I've got a feeling it won't go anywhere. I really don't understand the huge fonts, but maybe that's because some books are scaled to a really small standard font size?
So as a highly unscientific experiment, I decided to see what these font sizes compare to a real paperback. I got a paperback, and counted the lines on a random page (34 lines), and measured the page (17.145cm). This comes out to 1.983085 lines per cm. Then I took my Kobo Glo HD,which has a "page size" vertically of 12.065. Then I set it to 19 lines. This gives me a ratio of 1.574803. However, and this is very interesting!! Setting the font size so I get 24 lines, I end up with a ratio of 1.989225, which is very close to the paperback. I don't think this is a coincidence. 21 lines gives me a ratio of 1.740572, so rcentros is comfortably in the middle. I know the Kobo Glo isn't a Nook, so this isn't exactly the same, but was still very interesting and I would think the results would probably transfer over to most ereaders, assuming screen size is the same.

And yes, I know, I'm a complete nerd for doing this.
kyrilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 12:30 AM   #15
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrilson View Post
So as a highly unscientific experiment, I decided to see what these font sizes compare to a real paperback. I got a paperback, and counted the lines on a random page (34 lines), and measured the page (17.145cm). This comes out to 1.983085 lines per cm. Then I took my Kobo Glo HD,which has a "page size" vertically of 12.065. Then I set it to 19 lines. This gives me a ratio of 1.574803. However, and this is very interesting!! Setting the font size so I get 24 lines, I end up with a ratio of 1.989225, which is very close to the paperback. I don't think this is a coincidence. 21 lines gives me a ratio of 1.740572, so rcentros is comfortably in the middle. I know the Kobo Glo isn't a Nook, so this isn't exactly the same, but was still very interesting and I would think the results would probably transfer over to most ereaders, assuming screen size is the same.

And yes, I know, I'm a complete nerd for doing this.
Font sizes do vary paperback to paperback though, no?