Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 12-29-2021, 08:09 AM   #1
OdinTheHigh
OdinTheHigh began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Is a visa prepaid card able to buy nook boks?

Hey guys

I just asked B&N live chat which said that

'You may use the Visa prepaid card as long as you do have a US billing adress'

but wanted to double check with you since I thought it was a bit too easy work around and I haven't seen it mentioned iirc after extensive research about how to solve the problem when you do not have a US credit card (which customer support has confirmed is required due to copyright law).

The term for the prepaid card is also 'US vanilla visa'.

Thank you.
OdinTheHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 11:01 AM   #2
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by OdinTheHigh View Post
Hey guys

I just asked B&N live chat which said that

'You may use the Visa prepaid card as long as you do have a US billing adress'

but wanted to double check with you since I thought it was a bit too easy work around and I haven't seen it mentioned iirc after extensive research about how to solve the problem when you do not have a US credit card (which customer support has confirmed is required due to copyright law).

The term for the prepaid card is also 'US vanilla visa'.

Thank you.
It likely is fine. I have not tried it myself.

However, even though I love my Nook hardware, I buy my books elsewhere and sideload them to the Nook.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 02:37 PM   #3
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Why would you want to buy books from B&N?
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 04:49 AM   #4
OdinTheHigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
It likely is fine. I have not tried it myself.

However, even though I love my Nook hardware, I buy my books elsewhere and sideload them to the Nook.
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Why would you want to buy books from B&N?
The book is only available there.
Old 12-30-2021, 09:24 AM   #5
OdinTheHigh

Customer support confirmed via email that if the prepaid card is US issued and you enter a US shipping adress then it will work.
Old 12-30-2021, 09:31 AM   #6
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
The book is only available there.
I'm curious. What is the book?

Usually, Amazon is the ebook juggernaut. But I do remember seeing a nice Penny Dreadful collection at B&N that is not available elsewhere. Amazon does own their own publishing company.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 11:50 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
OdinTheHigh, the problem is that you have a Kobo Reader and if you buy a nook book, you may not be able to remove the DRM and then you are stuck with an eBook you may not be able with your Kobo. Do you want that?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 04:21 AM   #8
OdinTheHigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I'm curious. What is the book?

Usually, Amazon is the ebook juggernaut. But I do remember seeing a nice Penny Dreadful collection at B&N that is not available elsewhere. Amazon does own their own publishing company.
https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/the...=2940151125482

Amazon has it listed but it's unavailable.
Old 12-31-2021, 04:23 AM   #9
OdinTheHigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
OdinTheHigh, the problem is that you have a Kobo Reader and if you buy a nook book, you may not be able to remove the DRM and then you are stuck with an eBook you may not be able with your Kobo. Do you want that?
HeyJSWolf

Thank you for your care.

Supposedly you can remove the DRM with epubor but if not that's fine, it's only 138 pages I'll screenshot and print or read it on the Nook app on Android.
Old 12-31-2021, 10:48 AM   #10
OdinTheHigh

Quote:
Customer support confirmed via email that if the prepaid card is US issued and you enter a US shipping adress then it will work.
Apologies, this might be incorrect, it's billing address.

What they wrote was:
'You must create a BN.com account and set a default payment method using a US issued credit card and US billing address.'