Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 11-12-2021, 04:08 AM   #16
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Font sizes do vary paperback to paperback though, no?
Yep, and line spacing varies even more.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 08:03 AM   #17
kyrilson
Fanatic
kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, Oasis, Kobo Glo HD,iPad Pro, Sony 350 and T2
Quote:
Font sizes do vary paperback to paperback though, no?

Yep. As I mentioned, HIGHLY UNSCIENTIFIC.
kyrilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 01:55 PM   #18
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrilson View Post
Yep. As I mentioned, HIGHLY UNSCIENTIFIC.
Still, a fun experiment.

I have my Clara and my 6" Glowlight Plus set very similarly. On the Kobo I get 23 lines of text and on the Nook I get twenty. Though I only squeezed those extra three lines out on the Kobo with patches. Otherwise I get more lines on my Nook.

Maybe I'm just lucky, but on the complaints about font size, I don't think I would want a 3.5 font size. it would likely be too small for me (though I wouldn't complain if they decided to add more font sizes, I just wouldn't use them).
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 02:16 PM   #19
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Maybe I'm just lucky, but on the complaints about font size, I don't think I would want a 3.5 font size. it would likely be too small for me (though I wouldn't complain if they decided to add more font sizes, I just wouldn't use them).
You're just not fussy in general. OTOH I'm extremely fussy about fonts and their sizes, and most default fonts/font sizes never suit me, on whatever reader. They've all been modified by me in some way or other.
Old 11-12-2021, 03:01 PM   #20
kyrilson
Fanatic
kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, Oasis, Kobo Glo HD,iPad Pro, Sony 350 and T2
Quote:
Still, a fun experiment.

I have my Clara and my 6" Glowlight Plus set very similarly. On the Kobo I get 23 lines of text and on the Nook I get twenty. Though I only squeezed those extra three lines out on the Kobo with patches. Otherwise I get more lines on my Nook.

I'm fussy about it too. And I don't quite understand why the software developers, or whoever makes these decisions set the font sizing ramps the way they do. It seems like most of them will go from very small to way too large in between numbers somewhere in the ranges with every major manufacturer with a few exceptions like Kobo, which has a slider type of setting. You would think a slider setting would be the way to go. Perhaps it has to do with the early days of E-ink and our lack of technological know-how in working with it? Or limitations of the screen and E-ink technology itself?
Anyways, looks like my optimal settings are 26 lines, both on the Kobo and the Pocketbook Touch HD3 with Chareink font. 24 lines with Literata Book font. Although at night I'll bump the font size up a little sometimes, if I'm tired. Chareink seems easier to read at a smaller size than most other fonts.
kyrilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 03:12 PM   #21
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrilson View Post
I'm fussy about it too. And I don't quite understand why the software developers, or whoever makes these decisions set the font sizing ramps the way they do. It seems like most of them will go from very small to way too large in between numbers somewhere in the ranges with every major manufacturer with a few exceptions like Kobo, which has a slider type of setting. You would think a slider setting would be the way to go. Perhaps it has to do with the early days of E-ink and our lack of technological know-how in working with it? Or limitations of the screen and E-ink technology itself?
I guess that 1) those developers read on tablets/iPads themselves, or don't read books at all

and 2) they imagine that most of the users of the dedicated ereaders are old and/or disabled people who need large font sizes. Because why would a young and healthy person want to read on eink?