Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 05-12-2021, 07:23 PM   #1
cgsmom
Addict
cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook GL4+, Nook GL4e, Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle PW4, iPhone 14
Screen changes on Glowlight Plus after update.

I have a Glowlight Plus 7.8. I turned on WiFi recently and it updated. Since the update the text looks really washed out. It seems to flash dark just before it turns the page but then goes light again. It is practically unreadable. It has always been annoying that any links like TOC or footnotes have always been really light and hard to read, but now all the text is that way. Has anyone else had this problem?

Edit: OK, never mind. It decided that it needed to update again and now the text looks like it did before.

Last edited by cgsmom; 05-12-2021 at 08:33 PM. Reason: Update
cgsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 10:54 PM   #2
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgsmom View Post
I have a Glowlight Plus 7.8. I turned on WiFi recently and it updated. Since the update the text looks really washed out. It seems to flash dark just before it turns the page but then goes light again. It is practically unreadable. It has always been annoying that any links like TOC or footnotes have always been really light and hard to read, but now all the text is that way. Has anyone else had this problem?

Edit: OK, never mind. It decided that it needed to update again and now the text looks like it did before.
Thanks for the report. You had me worried because both my Glowlight Plus (2015, 6") and Glowlight 3 have really nice screens with dark fonts. And both showed updates ready (although I normally leave WiFi off — mostly to save the battery). I agree with you on the TOC or footnote links. Don't get why they did (and do) that.

Last edited by rcentros; 05-12-2021 at 10:56 PM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 03:14 AM   #3
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The new version of the software gives you a "Kindle-like" page numbering experience. Instead of having the page number in the center "124/443" (for example) it now puts that to the left with a percentage on the right ... 124 of 443 ............................ 29% (not dots, I put them in to hold the space. Or you click the bottom again, the percentage stays the same on the right, but (after getting your reading rate) it now predicts how long to the end of the chapter or book. And click again the page disappears altogether (unfortunately it doesn't fill the space with more lines from the book).

Also, according to the update notice, they've also made it easier with annotations. The library details tell you how many annotations have been made in each book — and you can view those annotations from the book's "contextual menu." You restrict the Library to only show books with annotations with a new "Annotations Only" filter. You can also view your annotations for all your books by tapping the button at the bottom of any book's Annotations menu.

And there additional bug "fixes and performance improvements." (That's also Kindle-like.)

EDIT: If the book title (at the top) used to be faded, it isn't any longer, neither is the information on the bottom. Links are still faded however.

Last edited by rcentros; 05-13-2021 at 03:35 AM.
Old 05-13-2021, 11:08 PM   #4
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Huh. I'm gonna go update my Nooks.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 11:37 PM   #5
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
I'm glad they are still updating the Nook firmware. I keep assuming that the current update will be the last.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 08:01 AM   #6
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I'm glad they are still updating the Nook firmware. I keep assuming that the current update will be the last.
Me too.
Old 05-14-2021, 02:48 PM   #7
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
Seems like the new update changed the font sizes so that #3 is too small and #4 is too large. That's my experience anyway.

Jim
Strether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 04:21 PM   #8
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strether View Post
Seems like the new update changed the font sizes so that #3 is too small and #4 is too large. That's my experience anyway.
I've kind of noticed that too. I thought maybe I had remembered wrong. It looks like they've given you 14 font sizes now (it used to be less, I think). But it seems like the last ten font size steps are so big they're wasted. I wish there was a way to skew the scale downwards, so there's more choices in the "regular" sizes I'd actually use. Maybe the key is to make the book's font smaller coming in. That said, size #3 seems to be about right for me. (And, in another book with smaller initial fonts, size #4 equals about the same as size #3 — so it's definitely dependent on the book's initial font size.)

I wish now I hadn't updated one of the two so I could compare the differences.
Old 05-18-2021, 02:34 PM   #9
Ryzir
Connoisseur
Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: Nook GL3, Kobo H2O, Nook STG, Sony PRS-300, Sony PRS-500
I decided to update my GL3 even though I don't use the nook reading or library software and noted some interesting things.

Normal:
-Root was overwritten
-Sideloaded fonts removed
-Custom button mapping overwritten
-Sideloaded apps still installed

Abnormal:
-Developer options and USB debugging stayed enabled
-Custom screensaver settings not overwritten
-Default launcher settings not overwritten
-Boot animation no longer needs to be disabled or changed when rooted
-"Press the n button to wake up your nook" no longer showing on sleep screen with custom screensaver.

Normal rooting method still works with this version.
Ryzir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 11:32 AM   #10
sigsky
sigsky began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus 6"
I greatly prefer the old page numbers. They could have at least given us the option. Any way to go back?
sigsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 01:09 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
delete post
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 10:05 PM   #12
RWTS
Enthusiast
RWTS began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by sigsky View Post
I greatly prefer the old page numbers. They could have at least given us the option. Any way to go back?
I would like to know this, too. I connected to my Wi-Fi for the first time in ages to download a purchase and received the update. I hold my Nook in a certain way and touch the lower right corner to turn pages. Now I'm constantly rotating through the new page numbering system. After years of using my Nook this way, I just can't get comfortable holding it differently.
RWTS is offline   Reply With Quote