Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 03-16-2023, 02:57 AM   #1
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Browsers

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
[...]I've various bookmarks set up with this sort of adjustment.
So I wonder if Kobo are watching this thread. I have a collection of bookmarks with custom price selections and so on that are set up in a saved Vivaldi session. I open the session and voila! there is a tab with a bunch of child tabs showing books of possible interest to me. All the bookmarks filter to ebooks (not audio books) because I don't currently do audio.

One such bookmark is looking to see what John Grisham books have come on special:
Code:
https://www.kobo.com/au/en/search?query=john+grisham&fcsearchfield=Author&fcmedia=Book&fcshowpointsprice=no&fcmaxprice=8&fcminprice=3
But today that is not working. It reverts to the default John Grisham page showing all his top priced ebooks and audio books.

However this one for T. Kingfisher (aka Ursula Vernon) works properly:
Code:
https://www.kobo.com/au/en/search?query=t+kingfisher&fcsearchfield=Author&fcmedia=Book&fcshowpointsprice=no&fcmaxprice=8&fcminprice=1
Which is fine really, since lately I'm more likely to be in the mood for Kingfisher than Grisham, but still, the inconsistency is odd. Hopefully it's only temporary.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 09:53 AM   #2
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
I have a collection of bookmarks with custom price selections and so on that are set up in a saved Vivaldi session.
I tried Vivaldi when it was newly released, but when back to good ol' Firefox (with an occasional Edge visit). I wonder if I should give Vivaldi another look...
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-16-2023, 10:15 AM   #3
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I tried Vivaldi when it was newly released, but when back to good ol' Firefox (with an occasional Edge visit). I wonder if I should give Vivaldi another look...
Avid Vivaldi user here; do so! They somewhat recently added RSS support.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 10:44 AM   #4
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
I was an Opera user for several years, but got driven away when they dropped a fully functional browser and expected users to be happy with a half-baked one for however long it was going to take them to finish cooking it.

Then I was a Firefox user for several years but finally got sick them dropping features that I was using. (I mean the notes field in the bookmark list, why on Earth did they have to drop that? Was I really the only person who'd spent years curating a list of bookmarks with notes?)

And then I found Vivaldi - initially attracted by its links back to Opera (and it's ability to have notes on bookmarks). There were some moments early on when I was inspired to look around for other options, but I kept coming up empty and Vivaldi kept getting better. Now I am very happy with it. It's based on Chromium so site compatibility is good, and the developers give me confidence that they take privacy seriously which is even better. I don't like the integrated email very much, but it's entirely optional - I have it active for my free Vivaldi account only and it suffices for that. In that vein, Vivaldi has lots of interesting and useful features which you can use or ignore as you like, and it seems to be compatible with most Chrome/Chromium extensions (or the few I've tried so far, I don't tend to need many because Vivaldi comes with the most critical stuff built in).

Last edited by gmw; 03-16-2023 at 10:48 AM.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 11:38 AM   #5
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I've never even heard about Vivaldi. My main browser is Chrome, occasionally I also use Firefox, and they do all I need at the moment, but it's good to know another good browser exists. Does Vivaldi sync between different devices, like Chrome and Firefox? That's a feature I definitely need.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-16-2023, 11:41 AM   #6
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I've never even heard about Vivaldi. My main browser is Chrome, occasionally I also use Firefox, and they do all I need at the moment, but it's good to know another good browser exists. Does Vivaldi sync between different devices, like Chrome and Firefox? That's a feature I definitely need.
Vivaldi Sync

Vivaldi is Chromium-based, so most Chrome extensions work in it (I've found some had slightly wonky behaviour though). I think is considered a kind of successor to Opera after it went to shit.
Old 03-16-2023, 11:45 AM   #7
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
Vivaldi Sync

Vivaldi is Chromium-based, so most Chrome extensions work in it (I've found some had slightly wonky behaviour though). I think is considered a kind of successor to Opera after it went to shit.
Excellent, thank you.
Old 03-16-2023, 12:17 PM   #8
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I really dislike Chrome. I like Google in general. Have Pixel phones on Google-Fi, several Google Home speakers and have a Google router, Nest thermostat and Nest doorbell. But Chrome? Ugh. Actually, I use Bing to search. So there's two Google things I avoid. I use Edge when I want or need a Chromium browser.

Simple thing: Why are bookmarks buried in a menu?

Also, I think Firefox is necessary for the same reason Netscape was necessary: reliance on a single browser (or browser engine) could stifle innovation. It's too bad Microsoft muffed their original Edge release (pre-Chromium) so badly. I think if they launched it with add-on support out of the box, it would have gained more traction. By the time it was added, Edge had become a joke.

I support Firefox financially.

Last edited by ZodWallop; 03-16-2023 at 12:23 PM.
Old 03-16-2023, 12:25 PM   #9
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I really dislike Chrome. I like Google in general. Have Pixel phones on Google-Fi, several Google Home speakers and have a Google router, Nest thermostat and Nest doorbell. But Chrome? Ugh. Actually, I use Bing to search. So there's two Google things I avoid. I use Edge when I want or need a Chromium browser.

Simple thing: Why are bookmarks buried in a menu?

Also, I think Firefox is necessary for the same reason Netscape was necessary: reliance on a single browser (or browser engine) could stifle innovation. I support Firefox financially.
I use two different bookmark extensions in Chrome. You can do a lot with Chrome extensions you can't do with default settings. Personally I don't find Chrome bookmarks any more buried than the Firefox ones, but that may be because I've used Chrome for more than a decade and am familiar with all its settings.

I use Firefox when I want privacy, which is not important to me with ordinary browsing.
Old 03-16-2023, 12:31 PM   #10
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
I use two different bookmark extensions in Chrome. You can do a lot with Chrome extensions you can't do with default settings.
I guess. But with Firefox (and Edge and Vivaldi, which are Chrome-based) you don't have to. So (for me) why bother?
Old 03-16-2023, 12:34 PM   #11
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I guess. But with Firefox (and Edge and Vivaldi, which are Chrome-based) you don't have to. So (for me) why bother?
Firefox is limited for me, because it has too few extensions. I use a lot of those in Chrome, not only the bookmark ones, and not all of them are available for Firefox.

If you're not an avid extension user, FF may be better out of the box.
Old 03-16-2023, 12:35 PM   #12
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Firefox is limited for me, because it has too few extensions. I use a lot of those in Chrome, not only the bookmark ones, and not all of them are available for Firefox.

If you're not an avid extension user, FF may be better out of the box.
I do use the ereaderIQ plug-in which is Chromium only. When I need that I use Edge.
Old 03-16-2023, 12:36 PM   #13
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

Vivaldi has a sidebar which lets you easy access bookmarks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2023-03-16 13_35_43-Vivaldi.png
Views:	74
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	200370  
Old 03-16-2023, 12:40 PM   #14
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
I remember Vivaldi having an avalanche of features which was both cool and something that reminded me of the old MadTV character Stuart and his "Look what I can do!"

I think I'll go install Vivaldi again.
Old 03-16-2023, 12:41 PM   #15
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Yes, that's what one of those Chrome bookmark extensions is like. Plus the sidebar is heavily customizable. I really love that extension.