Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 04-11-2019, 05:13 AM   #1
Grant Jacobs
Grant Jacobs began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aqua
Converting ACSM to to load G.Play books to Kobo (hopefully not OT)

Forgive me if this isn't appropriate. I can't find a Google Play related forum. I feel doubly awkward as I'm not sure I can do this with Calibre either, but at least this forum is familiar with eBook issues.

I have just bought two books from Google Play. I've downloaded the EPUB - really an ACSM file. I've tried copying this to the device via ADE, but it borks, giving me a cryptic message, E_ACT_NOT_READY with something about a license server communication issue. Looking at the authorisation information under Help the computer seems to be authorised to an email address / Adobe ID pair. Let's call it email-computer@gmail.com

The email account that Google lets me view my book list (and hence where I buy them from) is a different email address. Let's call that email-gp@gmail.com

I don't really know if this matters, but I am trying to find some way to get my books to my book reader.

I tried using Calibre, but it complains something to the effect that the Kobo firmware is newer than that Calibre software. So I updated Calibre. But I'm still getting a message to the effect that my Kobo is "running an updated firmware/database version" and that "If you are willing to experiment and know how to reset your Kobo to Factory defaults," etc. This doesn't sound very welcoming: I'd rather not risk my books right? It says it's database version 149, firmware version 4, 12, 12111.

Any suggestions welcome.

I've updated ADE, but as I suspected it made no difference.

Somewhat maddeningly, I've previously downloaded and installed a couple of books from G. Play to the Kobo, but I don't know what I did to make this work. I have to admit I find Adobe's ADE product a right nuisance, and prefer Kobo's straight-to-the-device approach.

Last edited by Grant Jacobs; 04-11-2019 at 05:42 AM. Reason: Noting update of ADE
Grant Jacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 06:17 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I can't help with your error
ASCM is a purchase token used by Adobe to retrieve the real book (EPUB) encoded to your devices ID.
To use on multiple devices, the devices all must be on the same account
(or you need to strip the DRM. MR rules prevent further instructions. Visit Alf's site)
I suspect, the devices are NOT on the same Adobe account
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-11-2019, 10:05 AM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Remember you need to open the ACSM file in ADE (Adobe Digital Edition) to actually download the Epub file.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 01:18 AM   #4
Grant Jacobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I can't help with your error
ASCM is a purchase token used by Adobe to retrieve the real book (EPUB) encoded to your devices ID.
To use on multiple devices, the devices all must be on the same account
(or you need to strip the DRM. MR rules prevent further instructions. Visit Alf's site)
I suspect, the devices are NOT on the same Adobe account
Excuse the brevity -

I generally get what an ASCM is. Sort-of, kind-of in as much as Adobe's scheme seems ridiculously fiddly to me and none of the explanation "that" clear.

I have only one Adobe ID, at least as far as I know.

I don't understand what you are saying about multiple devices. I have one book reader.

My guess is simply that Google Play is putting the gmail-gp@gmail.com email into the ACSMs. But then I don't really understand much of it, which is why I'm asking here in the first place.

I've asked Google Play but haven't gotten a response from them.
Old 04-12-2019, 01:19 AM   #5
Grant Jacobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Remember you need to open the ACSM file in ADE (Adobe Digital Edition) to actually download the Epub file.
I know; I thought my post indicated that what I was trying to do but ADE won't let me. I'm trying to sort out why it won't let me and how to fix it.
Advert
Old 04-12-2019, 02:35 AM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant Jacobs View Post
Excuse the brevity -

I generally get what an ASCM is. Sort-of, kind-of in as much as Adobe's scheme seems ridiculously fiddly to me and none of the explanation "that" clear.

I have only one Adobe ID, at least as far as I know.

I don't understand what you are saying about multiple devices. I have one book reader.

My guess is simply that Google Play is putting the gmail-gp@gmail.com email into the ACSMs. But then I don't really understand much of it, which is why I'm asking here in the first place.
That is not my understanding. I believe the ASCM file has a licence key of some sort, and during the download/processing of the file, the license key is added to the Adobe account that is doing the download/processing. After that, if you attempt to use the ASCM file with another account, there will be a license error.

The email addresses involved with the shop and Adobe accounts have no direct relationship. The email I use to buy books from Kobo and is not the same as that I have registered with Adobe.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 03:28 AM   #7
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I tried using Calibre, but it complains something to the effect that the Kobo firmware is newer than that Calibre software. So I updated Calibre. But I'm still getting a message to the effect that my Kobo is "running an updated firmware/database version" and that "If you are willing to experiment and know how to reset your Kobo to Factory defaults," etc. This doesn't sound very welcoming: I'd rather not risk my books right? It says it's database version 149, firmware version 4, 12, 12111.
That is a warning and is almost always over. It has been a long time since the last time it wasn't safe to follow the instructions in it. If you have any concerns, look for the firmware discussion thread in the Kobo forum for the firmware version you are using.

But, it is also a sign that you need to update calibre either now, or in the near future. If you aren't running the latest calibre release, you need to update it to support the updated device firmware version.
Old 04-12-2019, 03:45 AM   #8
Grant Jacobs

BTW, I have updated Calibre and it says it doesn't support the firmware version. (I wrote that in the bit you in replying to me, "So I updated Calibre. But I'm still getting a message…")

Grant

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
That is a warning and is almost always over. It has been a long time since the last time it wasn't safe to follow the instructions in it. If you have any concerns, look for the firmware discussion thread in the Kobo forum for the firmware version you are using.

But, it is also a sign that you need to update calibre either now, or in the near future. If you aren't running the latest calibre release, you need to update it to support the updated device firmware version.
Old 04-12-2019, 04:32 AM   #9
Grant Jacobs

Thanks, I find the whole ASCM business very confusing an unclear. And still do, I'm sorry.

I take you're saying that Google Play communicates with ADE to add/check license keys. I can't see anything in the Google Play user account that lets me see or edit this to verify what it thinks it's stuffing into the ACSM files.

Looking on the ADE website, it gives me one email address, the one I expected because it's the one I nicknamed email-computer@gmail.com that the ADE app tells me authorises my computer.

If I have more that one account where are these? I can't see anything on the ADE site indicating that I have another account, and I can't understand how I could anyway as I only have one book reader. Why would I register another account?

I've also tried dragging the ACSM file to the Kobo desktop app in the hope that it'd sort it out, but app doesn't even try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
That is not my understanding. I believe the ASCM file has a licence key of some sort, and during the download/processing of the file, the license key is added to the Adobe account that is doing the download/processing. After that, if you attempt to use the ASCM file with another account, there will be a license error.

The email addresses involved with the shop and Adobe accounts have no direct relationship. The email I use to buy books from Kobo and is not the same as that I have registered with Adobe.
Old 04-12-2019, 05:24 AM   #10
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
your adobe Id was from the adobe web site ( possibly a reader device helped you get it ) it has nothing to do with your google account(s)
the single adobe ID can register multiple devices, e.g. a PC, a reader...

your simplest solution is to get the books onto a PC, if you can, [ by downloading with ADE which should still have that adobe registration, then strip all annoying and confusing DRM with the various tools from elsewhere
if you lost your adobe password, you may be able to recover it from adobe; they reset many accounts as they had a huge data security breach a while ago

BUT, AFAIK, a book you buy from google play is locked to the google account you bought it with, and can only be read in the google app, so your troubles and confusion may not yet be over

Last edited by stumped; 04-12-2019 at 05:29 AM.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 10:33 AM   #11
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Thanks, I find the whole ASCM business very confusing an unclear. And still do, I'm sorry.

I take you're saying that Google Play communicates with ADE to add/check license keys. I can't see anything in the Google Play user account that lets me see or edit this to verify what it thinks it's stuffing into the ACSM files.
No, that is not what I am saying. I don't know the exact details, but, Google probably talks to Adobe and generates a license for the book. You download the ACSM file and open it with ADE. ADE confirms the license and adds it to you account. Or maybe they generate a decryption key unique to the book and your account.

Your original error message looks like something that should have been transient. Downloading the ACSM and opening it in ADE should hopefully work. I'm pretty sure I have seen this in the past, and the next time I tried it, everything was OK.
Quote:
Looking on the ADE website, it gives me one email address, the one I expected because it's the one I nicknamed email-computer@gmail.com that the ADE app tells me authorises my computer.

If I have more that one account where are these? I can't see anything on the ADE site indicating that I have another account, and I can't understand how I could anyway as I only have one book reader. Why would I register another account?
The main reason people register another account is if they forget the previous one, or if they lose access to it in some way. Losing access to the email address the account is registered to is a common reason.
Quote:
I've also tried dragging the ACSM file to the Kobo desktop app in the hope that it'd sort it out, but app doesn't even try.
The Kobo desktop application does not handle books with Adobe DRM at all. You need ADE to do this.
Old 04-12-2019, 03:44 PM   #12
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
It's a poor state of affairs when honest people need to learn far more than they ever wanted to, about crypto/drm/license key protocols,, just to read their own purchases on multiple dvics. When in the time that takes, your average pirate has downloaded an entire library and read most of it already

But once more into the breach... Recap please in great detail exactly how you made the purchases. I.e. from exactly what store, with what device, using what app, and with what account... let's see if the resulting debacle can be flowcharted and puzzzled out.

Or, Google does give refunds for most digital hings if you have not used them. So as you have yet to enjoy even one page of one book you could give up, ask for a refund, and go buy elsewhere ?
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 07:13 PM   #13
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Forgive me if this isn't appropriate. I can't find a Google Play related forum. I feel doubly awkward as I'm not sure I can do this with Calibre either, but at least this forum is familiar with eBook issues.

I have just bought two books from Google Play. I've downloaded the EPUB - really an ACSM file. I've tried copying this to the device via ADE, but it borks, giving me a cryptic message, E_ACT_NOT_READY with something about a license server communication issue. Looking at the authorisation information under Help the computer seems to be authorised to an email address / Adobe ID pair. Let's call it email-computer@gmail.com

The email account that Google lets me view my book list (and hence where I buy them from) is a different email address. Let's call that email-gp@gmail.com

I don't really know if this matters, but I am trying to find some way to get my books to my book reader.

Any suggestions welcome.

I've updated ADE, but as I suspected it made no difference.

Somewhat maddeningly, I've previously downloaded and installed a couple of books from G. Play to the Kobo, but I don't know what I did to make this work. I have to admit I find Adobe's ADE product a right nuisance, and prefer Kobo's straight-to-the-device approach.
Quote:
E_AUTH_NOT_READY

This error occurs when the authorization information is damaged. Follow these steps to rebuild the activation file.
You need to reactivate ADE go this web page and follow the instructions. They work I have had this problem before usually when replacing a failed motherboard, upgrading a cpu.

P.S. go back to ADE 2.12

bernie

Last edited by gbm; 04-12-2019 at 07:15 PM.
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 09:41 PM   #14
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
Can you actually read the book in ADE?
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 12:47 AM   #15
Grant Jacobs

I'll try get back to people who've replied later — that's for all the help.

It's a long story, but ADE shifted to giving me E_LIC_LICENSE_SIGN_ERROR instead! So I put this to the Google Play help forum. The only reply (so far) is… to try again. So I did, got an E_ADEPT_INTERNAL. This one is apparently when the vendor has screwed up. So I tried downloading the ACSM again. Now ADE accepts it. (Next to get it to the Kobo…)

Bit ridiculous it's taken this sort of effort, though.