Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 12-10-2022, 05:26 AM   #1
archz2
Connoisseur
archz2 has a spectacular aura aboutarchz2 has a spectacular aura aboutarchz2 has a spectacular aura aboutarchz2 has a spectacular aura aboutarchz2 has a spectacular aura aboutarchz2 has a spectacular aura aboutarchz2 has a spectacular aura aboutarchz2 has a spectacular aura aboutarchz2 has a spectacular aura aboutarchz2 has a spectacular aura aboutarchz2 has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (10th gen) - 6", OnePlus 9RT - MoonReader Pro
DRM issues with azw converted to KFX Zip

For a long time I was able to download azw3 files from Amazon after buying, then remove their DRM using Calibre 4.23 and return them to Amazon. I think this was being done for all the Kindle books which were published either in March 2022 or before that. I recently bought a book that was published in November 2022, and I am unable to remove its DRM in Calibre. So far I had Kindle 1.25 but when I tried to download the newly purchase book on my laptop running Windows 10, I got this error.

Then I installed Kindle 1.33. The downloaded Azw file got converted into KFX Zip by Calibre automatically when I dragged and dropped the file into the library. Conversion to epub and azw3 failed and calibre showed a message that it couldn't do so as it has DRM protection. I have the following plugins installed.

While searching for tackling this issue, I came across a cmd file that disable KFX downlaods in Kindle app for Windows. Its code goes like this.
Code:
reg delete "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Amazon\Kindle\User Settings" /v "isKRFDRendererSupported" /f
start "" "%LOCALAPPDATA%\Amazon\Kindle\application\kindle.exe"
:repeat
timeout 1
reg query "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Amazon\Kindle\User Settings" /v "isKRFDRendererSupported"
if ERRORLEVEL 1 goto :repeat
reg add "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Amazon\Kindle\User Settings" /v "isKRFDRendererSupported" /t REG_SZ /d "false" /f

pause
I ran this cmd file. Then while trying to download the book, the Kindle app on my laptop shows the same error that it was showing on Kindle 1.25 (first screenshot ), that I need to update my Kindle app.

I searched a lot on the internet and found that this issue can be resolved if I download the azw file of the book on a Kindle paper device and then use that file to remove the DRM. I don't have a Kindle device. Is there any way to remove DRM for KFX zip on my laptop directly?
archz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2022, 10:33 AM   #2
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Detailed assistance with DRM removal is not allowed here on MobileRead.

Normally the advice is to ask for help at the place where you obtained the DRM removal tool, but it appears you already have done that.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2022, 11:23 AM   #3
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by archz2 View Post
I searched a lot on the internet and found that this issue can be resolved if I download the azw file of the book on a Kindle paper device and then use that file to remove the DRM. I don't have a Kindle device. Is there any way to remove DRM for KFX zip on my laptop directly?
The best advice for now is to get a Kindle eInk.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote