Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 04-27-2024, 08:07 PM   #1
phossler
Wizard
phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Spell check question/option

Trying to spell check a technical epub.

There are a LOT of words -- real and random conglomerations of letters e.g. FBI, IMPORTANT, UYTRE, NHYTGB, KJY1234, etc.)

I did try a RegEx like spell check filter ([!A-Z]* but it seems to filter out everything since the spell check filter only seems to match substrings

A checkbox option to not flag words in all caps or in all caps and digits would save a lot of scrolling with manual searching would be useful.

So 'words' like ABCD, OIJMNH, KJYNB12BB, QQQQ would not be considered misspelt if the option were checked. By product is that it would miss misspelt acronyms, such as FIB instead of FBI
phossler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2024, 09:03 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Spell check can do a Case sensitive sort.
Then Review (because Names will Be there also), The Ignore or add to a user dictionary
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2024, 10:18 PM   #3
phossler
Wizard
phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Spell check can do a Case sensitive sort.
Then Review (because Names will Be there also), The Ignore or add to a user dictionary
I know that, but

1) I don't want to load my user dictionary with a lot of words I'll never see again

2) I already skip the more 'cryptic' files with <!-- calibre-no-spell-check --> or put them in the Exclude Files list

3) Even sorted, I'll still need to plow through them all

I seleted all the ones that started with a cap D and said [Ignore] and did a [Refresh]

Not only did they come back in the list, the gray shading seems to jump around. I thought that theshading might mean 'Ignore' but it seems random
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	26
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	207878   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture2.JPG
Views:	25
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	207879  
Old 04-27-2024, 10:39 PM   #4
Karellen
Wizard
Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by phossler View Post
1) I don't want to load my user dictionary with a lot of words I'll never see again
Don't confuse the system dictionary with a "User" dictionary.
You can create a temporary User dictionary which you can simply delete when you are finished.
In the image, I have named my User dictionary as "TempDict", and you can see that it is full of character names.

Quote:
I seleted all the ones that started with a cap D and said [Ignore] and did a [Refresh]

Not only did they come back in the list, the gray shading seems to jump around. I thought that theshading might mean 'Ignore' but it seems random
Ignore is a temporary hide. Once you close the editor and restart it, they all come back.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	dictionary.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	147.8 KB
ID:	207885  
Karellen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2024, 10:42 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You can have more than 1 USER dictionary.

Edit: Preferences: Manage dictionaries
Once you have those, you select which to Add to in the spell check dialog
Old 04-28-2024, 09:00 AM   #6
phossler
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karellen View Post
Don't confuse the system dictionary with a "User" dictionary.
Ignore is a temporary hide. Once you close the editor and restart it, they all come back.
Thanks, but the shading seems persistent between editor sessions (see pic) and it must have taken a while to build that dictionary, even if you could import a list

Seems (IMO) that it took more work than marking a simple checkbox on Spell Check that said

[X] Ignore words in all CAPS/CAPS numbers
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	20
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	207891  
Old 04-28-2024, 09:07 AM   #7
phossler
Wizard

Quote:
You can have more than 1 USER dictionary.
Thanks but there's very many all cap words that I'd like not to have to process, either one at a time or by block selecting them and then [Ignore]

Typically the 'word' I want to ignore will never be seen again (and in the current book there are multiple 100s of them) so that'd be a lot of effort for something I'll never need

If I were working with a bunch of Shakespeare plays, then it would be worthwhile to keep a user dictionary of character names

Seems (IMO) that it's much less work to mark a simple checkbox on Spell Check that said

or allowing a Regex in Spell Check Filter, e.g. [!A-Z]* to exclude words in all caps

Last edited by phossler; 04-28-2024 at 09:11 AM.
Old 04-28-2024, 09:54 AM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats

IGNORE is a Temporary limited to that session (book edit).

A permanent ignore, is done by adding them to A dictionary
Old 04-28-2024, 12:31 PM   #9
phossler
Wizard

Quote:
IGNORE is a Temporary limited to that session (book edit).

A permanent ignore, is done by adding them to A dictionary
Ahhh - that explains some of the results I was seeing
Old 04-28-2024, 05:36 PM   #10
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Ahhh - that explains some of the results I was seeing
Food for thought:

Name:	Screenshot 2024-04-29 073250.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	207900

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2024, 08:28 PM   #11
phossler
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Food for thought:

BR
Yea, if the spell checker had those options it would really allow the user to focus on just the important stuff
Old 04-28-2024, 09:02 PM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I dont think I'd want the spell check itself to ignore capitals/words with numbers, but I could possibly add options to the spell check dialog to filter those out while reviewing spellings.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2024, 09:30 PM   #13
phossler
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
I dont think I'd want the spell check itself to ignore capitals/words with numbers, but I could possibly add options to the spell check dialog to filter those out while reviewing spellings.

That would be terrific and really cut down on a lot of text that are not really words

Quote:
a simple checkbox on Spell Check that said

would be more than sufficient
Old 04-28-2024, 11:27 PM   #14
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
https://github.com/kovidgoyal/calibr...2735f829afbdaf
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote