Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 03-08-2019, 11:52 PM   #1
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Can I prevent hyphenation in a block of text?

I'm working on an epub ebook which in each of its 18 books and 208 chapters has a 'preface' of several words or a few sentences. The text of the 'preface' is centered, often using several lines, and quite often the last word on a line breaks, and is hyphenated. I think this looks awful.

Is there a way to prevent all of the words in the centered text from breaking? A word at the end of a line which would otherwise break will then drop to the next line.

I know how to prevent a single word from breaking and hyphenating. But I really don't want to have to apply this markup to all or most of the words in each of the 226 'prefaces'.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 06:49 AM   #2
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
I'm working on an epub ebook which in each of its 18 books and 208 chapters has a 'preface' of several words or a few sentences. The text of the 'preface' is centered, often using several lines, and quite often the last word on a line breaks, and is hyphenated. I think this looks awful.

Is there a way to prevent all of the words in the centered text from breaking? A word at the end of a line which would otherwise break will then drop to the next line.

I know how to prevent a single word from breaking and hyphenating. But I really don't want to have to apply this markup to all or most of the words in each of the 226 'prefaces'.
In your .css file create the following class:

Code:
.no_hyphens {
    adobe-hyphenate: none;
    hyphenate: none;
    hyphens: none;
    -epub-hyphens: none;
    -moz-hyphens: none;
    -webkit-hyphens: none;
}
And in your .xhtml file you have two ways of working:

1) Enclose the text to be not hyphened in a div tag with the class previously defined; i.e:

Code:
<div class="no_hyphens">
  <p>blah, blah, blah...</p>

</div>
2) If you want to apply the style to only a tag (i.e. h1, h2, h3..., p, etc.) then give the style to that tag; i.e;

if you have:

Code:
<h2 class="title">This is my own title</h2>
then after applying the new style you'll have:

Code:
<h2 class="title no_hyphens">This is my own title</h2>
Or if you have:

Code:
<p class="center">The text of my preface here....</p>
then after applying the new style you'll have:

Code:
<p class="center no_hyphens">The text of my preface here....</p>
Regards
Rubén
RbnJrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-10-2019, 12:54 AM   #3
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks so much, Rubén. That's most helpful.
Old 03-10-2019, 10:53 AM   #4
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Thanks so much, Rubén. That's most helpful.
You are welcome Alex
RbnJrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 04:45 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:

However, if the last word fully splits off to the next line, you could end up with gaps depending on the text size and the length of the word. excessive gaps and also look awful. Much more so then a hyphen.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2019, 11:48 PM   #6
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, ADE on PC
@JSWolf -- I think that only happens if you are using text-align: justify.
Centered text shouldn't be changing spacing between words.

Last edited by GrannyGrump; 03-13-2019 at 10:26 PM.
GrannyGrump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 02:41 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrannyGrump View Post
@JSWolf -- I think that only happens if you are using text-align: justify.
Centered text shouldn't be changing spacing between words.
I tested centered text with ADE 2.0.1 I do get hyphenations but the spaces between the words does look the same.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 08:09 PM   #8
AlexBell
Wizard

Yes, I am using centered text for the 'preface' to the books and chapters. I don't see any problems at all. Rubén's solution works very well indeed, though I have made very minor changes to give me a space on either side and below the 'preface' text.