Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-16-2011, 03:11 PM   #1
Janet in Ottawa
Janet in Ottawa began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
KOBO - Advice needed

I`ve had my Kobo (non WIFI) for about 6 months. I love it - especially since the last 2 firmware upgrades - made a huge difference. BUT I made some management mistakes I`d like to fix which I believe means I need to trash everything on it and re-loaded. I started by using Calibre to convert my own books to epub and load. Then I used KOBO to buy books and used the sync. Then I used SONY`s book site (books that are currently in hardcover are cheaper than at KOBO) - where I used Adobe Digital Editions to move the books. So I have a mishmash. I have since downloaded all my previously purchased KOBO boods to ADE so I am ready to re-load. What I want to do: 1. Clean up KOBO 2. Move all the books on ADE into Calibre. 3. In Calibre fix title and author issues. 4. Load all my books from Calibre.

I need help with 1 and 2. I have read notes saying use SQLIITE MANAGER to clear out the sqlite DB, others to use factory reset. On the calibre step - do I have re-download the books directly into Calibre or can I move them from ADE.
Janet in Ottawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 03:17 PM   #2
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
With KoBo WiFi, there should be no need to replace the sqlite Db. Just do a factory reset.

For Kobo-1, doing a replacement of the sqlite, images, AND kepub folders (do all three) will give you a clean start. If you have a corrupted Db, this is the way to go. See the sticky on sqlite replacement. You will end up with the preloaded books in kepub files, rather than in the sqlite Db.

It doesn't sound like you have any Db issues, so unless you value things like having the dictionary working with the preloads (only happens when they are kepub), then a factory reset should be good enough.

If Calibre sideloaded books remain on the reader (it's been awhile, so I don't remember), they may work after your first processing cycle, or you may have to delete the book folders Calibre creates on the Kobo and reload from scratch.

Then you can reload through Calibre or ADE--your choice.

If you buy books from multiple sources, you should be fine with ADE as long as you are using the same ADE account, and as long as they are all using the same flavour of ADE DRM (as do Sony and Kobo).Kobo does not work with the Nook or iBook ePUB DRM at all. Some people strip DRM if they are, for some reason, using two different ADE accounts or other formats.

Last edited by taming; 01-16-2011 at 03:49 PM.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2011, 05:29 PM   #3
Janet in Ottawa

Thanks - I'll try it tonight. Reason for using Calibre instead of ADE to reload - some books have the author and title swapped - need to be able to fix that - also would like to introduce series/series number into some titles.
Old 01-16-2011, 08:09 PM   #4
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, I currently use Calibre for everything ebook related, as well. Have you looked at the plugboard script for books in a series on Kobo?
Old 01-16-2011, 09:50 PM   #5
baronrus
Addict
baronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with others

Device: KO, KW, and KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
Yes, I currently use Calibre for everything ebook related, as well. Have you looked at the plugboard script for books in a series on Kobo?
Thats a good tip I have found myself several times having to look up on the internet which book comes next.
Thanks again Taming

I hope KOBO gives you some free swag because you sure deserve it for all your helpful tips.
baronrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2011, 10:10 PM   #6
taming
Trying for calm & polite

I work for karma hehehe.

Kobo surprised the beta group with a very nice thank you gift. I'm hoping the next time we work on something together it's really, really, really hard and they feel compelled to send us to Tahiti as a reward.
Old 01-17-2011, 05:57 AM   #7
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
Quote:
I work for karma hehehe.
Kobo surprised the beta group with a very nice thank you gift. I'm hoping the next time we work on something together it's really, really, really hard and they feel compelled to send us to Tahiti as a reward.
LOL I got a good laugh out of that! I hope they send you to Tahiti too!!
But seriously taming you have been a wonderful source of information on this board.
HarleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 12:09 PM   #8
3d0g
I make fjords.
3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: kobo 1 (retired), kobo 2, iPad, G2, Galaxy Tab 7+
Quote:
Kobo surprised the beta group with a very nice thank you gift.
Well, some of them, anyway.
3d0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 11:13 AM   #9
Janet in Ottawa

Thanks taming - implemented the series plugin - the instructions you pointed to were very easy to follow. I had tried to do this in the past and was unsuccessful. I now have my Kobo looking exactly how I wanted.