Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-06-2021, 06:39 AM   #31
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post

It is therefore absolutely equal whether I make these copies myself or download them from somewhere (which is not a violation of the law); I am not allowed to distribute the copies.
Of course it is not equal. You can scan and OCR your paper book and thus make an electronic copy for yourself. And you can buy an electronic copy from a legal source and download (i.e. copy) it as many times as you want. But downloading an illegally distributed ebook from an illegal source is illegal beyond any doubt. Yes, even in Austria, as quoted here several times.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 06:49 AM   #32
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
And further: for books I have in paper version, I am allowed to make private copies - even electronic ones (up to 6 are tolerated); the paper book is my property and I do not remove any copy protection when making the copy - I am not allowed to redistribute the copies.
If what you say is correct then YOU are allowed to make an eBook from your pBook. But YOU have to do that. Not someone else. So get out the scanner and the OCR software and get making eBooks.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2021, 07:12 AM   #33
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Copyright in works of literature and art.
Quote:
§ 42. (1) Any person may make individual copies of a work on paper or a similar medium for his own use.
(4) Any natural person may make individual copies of a work on media other than those referred to in subsection (1) for private use and neither for direct nor indirect commercial purposes.
(5) ....
Reproductions made for personal or private use may not be used to make the work accessible to the public.
Accordingly, the upload is against the law.
There is nothing in the entire law about download of such material.

And then there is the protection of technical measures § 90c.,
which states that the existing protection may not be removed - and nowhere here does it say that it is allowed for private use.

According to this, my approach is fully compliant with the law, while here some guys recommend violating our $90 c) and also provide links to this effect.
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 07:43 AM   #34
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If what you say is correct then YOU are allowed to make an eBook from your pBook. But YOU have to do that. Not someone else. So get out the scanner and the OCR software and get making eBooks.
Why?
Here it is not forbidden to download.
Here it is forbidden to upload copies.
These are two different directions.
Old 06-06-2021, 07:48 AM   #35
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk;4127896[quote
§ 42. (1) Any person may make individual copies of a work on paper or a similar medium for his own use.
(4) Any natural person may make individual copies of a work on media other than those referred to in subsection (1) for private use and neither for direct nor indirect commercial purposes.
(5) ....
Reproductions made for personal or private use may not be used to make the work accessible to the public.
It says that YOU are allowed to make a copy. It says it is not allowed to make that copy accessible to others.

it does not say someone else is allowed to make the copy for you. So give it up. YOU have do the work and convert your pBooks to eBooks.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2021, 07:58 AM   #36
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Why?
Here it is forbidden to upload copies.
These are two different directions.
To download an illegally distributed ebook violates the copyright law. So yes, it's illegal. You're allowed to make your own copy; you're allowed to download a legally distributed copy; you're not allowed to download a copy that was made available unlawfully.

Moreover, saying that people who remove DRM from their purchased books are thieves, and then knowingly downloading illegally distributed copies of de-DRMed books is the height of hypocrisy, quite apart from the legal aspect. You know those copies are not legal and have had their DRM removed. You said people removing the DRM are thieves. So you knowingly use something thieves have made available to you and at the same time accuse everyone else of thievery? I'm starting to seriously question your sanity.
Old 06-06-2021, 08:00 AM   #37
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Why?
Not according to the laws that have been quoted here. And you have been very careful to ignore. Just so you can ignore it again:

Quote:
Downloading a work protected by copyright from the internet constitutes an act of reproduction, regardless of the means and technology used. In the unlikely event that the downloaded parts of the work do not contain any peculiarity, there might not be any act of reproduction but the protection afforded by neighbouring rights still has to be considered. Additionally, Austrian copyright law requires that the source copy of the download was not obviously (produced or) made available unlawfully (Article 42(5) of the Austrian Copyright Act; see also Q7 and Q15). This includes the problem of ‘converting’ files that the rights holder does not intend to be downloaded.
And that comes from https://euipo.europa.eu/ohimportal/e...copyright-at#8.

Please, tell me how you downloading from pirate sites (remember, you used those words) is legal?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 09:14 AM   #38
ottischwenk
Wizard

I'm beginning to see the misunderstanding.

I rarely read books with existing copyright, which is obviously assumed here - I have no idea why; and when I do, there are lending libraries, free copies, and also stores where I buy.

My paper library consists mainly of works before and the first half of the last century - so hardly any of these books have copyright protection.

So if I look on pirate sites and find a copy of it, and download it, then this action has nothing at all to do with any copyright infringement.

DRM removal, however, is theft in my eyes - and to avoid that, I use devices that don't require it.
Old 06-06-2021, 09:24 AM   #39
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:

So if I look on pirate sites and find a copy of it, and download it, then this action has nothing at all to do with any copyright infringement.

Apart from items like book cover / forenotes / introduction that were added by whoever prepared the copy that you've obtained.

Sent from my SM-T290 using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 09:32 AM   #40
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:

I rarely read books with existing copyright, which is obviously assumed here - I have no idea why; and when I do, there are lending libraries, free copies, and also stores where I buy.

My paper library consists mainly of works before and the first half of the last century - so hardly any of these books have copyright protection.

Sorry, but that's not even remotely believable, or you would have come out with this argument much earlier. This is the first time you're saying anything about most of your books being out of copyright. I'm thinking you're just backpedaling now as you ran out of defensible arguments.

Of course you probably don't care whether I believe you or not. Neither do I care whether DRM removal makes me a thief in your eyes or not.
Old 06-06-2021, 09:40 AM   #41
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Apart from items like book cover / forenotes / introduction that were added by whoever prepared the copy that you've obtained.
Then, by making it available, he has given the right to download a copy.
Old 06-06-2021, 09:43 AM   #42
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Then, by making it available, he has given the right to download a copy.
Umm... you seriously think that the publisher uploaded the book to those pirate sites you visit?
Old 06-06-2021, 10:15 AM   #43
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:

Sorry, but that is BS. You have stated before that somehow you were under investigation for ebooks with copyright being shared. If you are only reading books in the public domain, that would not have been an issue.

And if what you say here is true, why are you using pirate sites? These books would be on Project Gutenberg or one of the other sites that has public domain ebooks. Which includes the MobileRead library.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 10:19 AM   #44
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Umm... you seriously think that the publisher uploaded the book to those pirate sites you visit?
Of course - there are not only stolen copies on pirate sites.

So I have heard, but not verified, that there are modern and well-known authors, who also publish there.
Old 06-06-2021, 10:43 AM   #45
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
You have stated before that somehow you were under investigation for ebooks with copyright being shared.
No - such I never wrote.
I dont care, because my paper library hardly contains such.
Quote:
And if what you say here is true, why are you using pirate sites? These books would be on Project Gutenberg or one of the other sites that has public domain ebooks. Which includes the MobileRead library.
You write and you hardly have a clue.

I am interested in German literature, which I hardly can find in MobileRead library.

Project Gutenberg has only a minimal number of German language books and blocks requests from Germany.

Project Gutenberg - de provides the books for online reading only.

Only pirate sites or own created copies are left, if you want to read books you own on a reader.

Last edited by ottischwenk; 06-06-2021 at 10:47 AM.

Tags
epub, ereader, format, kindle, orange screen