Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 12-23-2018, 11:16 PM   #1
devtech8
Enthusiast
devtech8 began at the beginning.

Device: Fire HD, phone, laptop
Question Accessing library from web, gui, etc...

So I now have my calibre running mostly fine on my linux box. I can run it and access via a web browser and somewhat the gui in windows via the windows calibre app.

That said, is it recommended or not or does it even matter if I usually want to browse grab books via a browser from devices, but sometimes manage the library with plugins and whatnot with the gui in windows?

How do you all go about this with your setup if similar to mine?
devtech8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 12:56 AM   #2
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
The calibre documentation warns against having a calibre library on a shared drive. Don't do it.

Also using a windows version of calibre to access a calibre library on a Linux share may cause silent corruption of the calibre library over time. Possibly with permanent data loss as a consequence. As I told you in another thread.

You can install calibre on either a windows computer or a Linux computer, and use it from there. But if you use the same calibre library variously from windows and Linux you will most likely experience problems.

I run calibre exclusively on Linux. I use it to update folders on a NAS with saved copies of books from the calibre library. I use the folder as a device from calibre. It is organized with subfolders for genres and nice filenames with series information and so on. Then I sync the contents of these folders to my devices using the android app Folder Sync. I currently don't use the calibre server.

Every time I use calibre my calibre libraries are automatically backed up from my PC to a NAS using versioned rsync snapshots.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-24-2018, 01:05 AM   #3
devtech8
Enthusiast

Guess I am not understanding then of using calibre-server. With it, managing tags, using plugins, etc... just does not make sense.

In that previous post where I asked about that, the idea was having the books/mags on the linux box, but running the server, etc... from a windows box that is simply pointing to that shared folder on linux. Make sense?
Old 12-24-2018, 02:10 AM   #4
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Using the web interface you can freely access calibre and the books over the network without any problems.

It is accessing the calibre library on a Linux share from the windows calibre program that is a problem. Or the other way around. Or even from any shared drive using the calibre program.
Old 12-24-2018, 02:22 AM   #5
devtech8
Enthusiast

But how does that help with limitations of the browser as you can not edit metadata in bulk, etc... via the web browser and such.
Advert
Old 12-24-2018, 02:57 AM   #6
Adoby
Handy Elephant

Simple.

Run calibre on the computer you want to use to edit metadata. Or possibly use some remote desktop control from some other computer to that computer.

Merry Christmas!

Don't forget to read your books!
Old 12-24-2018, 11:50 AM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by devtech8 View Post
But how does that help with limitations of the browser as you can not edit metadata in bulk, etc... via the web browser and such.
Server (as it currently stands) is for READING Users. As many as you can handle (bandwidth wise). READ ONLY access.

The GUI (and CLI) are Single user MODE access management and viewing tools.
Calibre is very 'transactional' under the skirts. Each and every MANAGEMENT step has to happen in sequence. Break a step or delay the order and GIGO is the result. Network Shares can and do get bottle-necked.
If you need to make remote changes: VNC or Remote desktop connection into your 'Calibre server'
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 10:15 AM   #8
Adoby
Handy Elephant

One "trick" is to run calibre on a windows computer and update metadata only there. But also backup the calibre library to a share on a Linux computer. On the Linux computer you can then run the calibre server and provide the backup calibre library to your users over your network that way. Make sure you don't update any files in the backup copy, treat it as a read only copy.

This can be desirable if you edit on a computer that is not always on or available, perhaps a laptop, and have another computer/server in the network that is always on.
Old 12-27-2018, 05:47 AM   #9
devtech8
Enthusiast

Finally got the app working and all within Linux and accessing it through VNC.

This said, I have accumulated a number of books and found I can use the tag editor to remove misc tags within each, but is there a way to do this easier at a larger scale? Am also noticing that not all books/mags get added and is there some log of what did not get added and why and if so, how do I access that info?
Old 01-01-2019, 11:25 PM   #10
devtech8
Enthusiast

Anyone?
Old 01-01-2019, 11:53 PM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
If you are driving the GUI from VNC, you have all the power of the Local system.

I don't think you want to wade thru a debug log (and I don't think it shows fails).
1 reason for adding in small batches, You can spot and remedy failures.
I added (from ISBN, using a bar code scanner in many cases) 900 titles in my dead tree Library. I fixed the Unknowns, because I had the pile of the recent lot because I could eliminate the ones that showed. (BTW I was VNC'd in from the room with the book shelves and storage bins)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 12:13 AM   #12
devtech8
Enthusiast

That is what I have been doing, but it does seem tedious, but worth it I reckon.