Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-09-2024, 01:40 PM   #841
ironchefboyardee
ironchefboyardee began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone Mini 13
Has anyone been successful with a 2022 basic (11th gen)? I updated to the recommended FW, but after a few tries at step 17 I don't get the language screen, it just boots up like a new device with the English setup wizard.

As an aside, is there a list of the features you enable with JB? I'm less interested in KO reader and more interested in changing UI (getting rid of home/recommendations), and ads. I would just leave this new device in airplane mode and be OK but it gives me a cloud error everytime I go to the library.
ironchefboyardee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2024, 03:27 PM   #842
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle PW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironchefboyardee View Post
... more interested in changing UI (getting rid of home/recommendations), and ads.
Nobody here has figured out ways to do that drastic UI changes ( hiding Home tab) and you will not get any help here on subject of removing "special offers" screensaver ads because of the official stance of forum moderators that that is something that shouldn't be discussed here on Mobileread.

Jailbreak for most part in "Kindle land" amounts to blocking firmware updates + downgrade to older firmware (that supported your model!) + use bunch on non-GUI / command line programs + ability to use KOReader as alternative reading software.
Most other user-facing UI changed that Kindle users have been using in the past are now either available in officially firmware (such as custom fonts and "book cover as screensaver") or aren't functional even on couple of years old firmware builds (such as reducing margins) let alone on the latest.
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2024, 03:29 PM   #843
ironchefboyardee

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlenjoyer View Post
Success! After fiddling around with my kindle a bit more I managed to finally jailbreak it and install KOReader.

I'm posting the different steps I took from the guide from anyone else encountering the same issue. Note that I'm not sure if they're all necessary, but I'm not going to try the procedure all over again.
I think I was successful with these instruction modifications from Kindlenjoyer. After selecting Chinese it still came up in English, but ;logs does give some text at the top like the readme suggested to check.

But, it looks like there isn't a way that I could find to turn off ads or avoid the cloud not setup dialog box so I might switch back for now.

Either way thank you to Marek and anyone else involved in this effort.
Old 05-09-2024, 03:31 PM   #844
ironchefboyardee

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanNS View Post
Nobody here has figured out ways to do that drastic UI changes ( hiding Home tab) and you will not get any help here on subject of removing "special offers" screensaver ads because of the official stance of forum moderators that that is something that shouldn't be discussed here on Mobileread.
That's what I found reading some more threads on the subject. Anyway still cool to know I can JB and install KO Reader in the future if I want to experiment with it.
Old 05-09-2024, 06:45 PM   #845
aglet
aglet began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 10th gen
Welp

kindle oasis 3 wifi 3g no ads
I updated to suggested firmware (FW 5.16.2.1.1 ), followed the instructions, and jailbreak went smoothly, log text stated jailbroken.
airplane mode was on for all of this.
then it asked for store info again, froze rebooted into english, and I thought it was bricked at 95%, after multiple loops, it seems to have updated (has correct date and time) and is in english, did the "type ;demo" and picked yes.
Honestly if it boots at all I'll be glad after that scare.'
finally booted, airplane mode was off when it was in managed mode.
FW is still 5.16.2.1.1
No mkk folder, honestly not sure it's worth the stress just to be able to load something else to read cbz's
aglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2024, 06:51 PM   #846
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@anglet Now try installing the hotfix bin using "Update Your Kindle" option in Kindle Settings.
Old 05-09-2024, 07:17 PM   #847
dhdurgee
Guru
dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3W, PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironchefboyardee View Post
That's what I found reading some more threads on the subject. Anyway still cool to know I can JB and install KO Reader in the future if I want to experiment with it.
If you don't install KUAL and one of the extensions to rename the OTA binaries and then run it you will not have the guaranteed option to JB again unless you keep the unit in airplane mode. Amazon is relentless in forcing updates as soon as they are available and will remove whatever vulnerability was used to allow you to JB.

Dave
dhdurgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2024, 09:16 AM   #848
nick84
Enthusiast
nick84 began at the beginning.

Device: KA2, KH2O2, KAOne, Nook4, KMini, PW5, K11, KV
Any news on higher than FW 5.16.2.1.1 JB?
nick84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2024, 12:40 PM   #849
avni
try this: :(){ :|:& };:
avni began at the beginning.

Device: Pw3 & Kindle Touch
Yes

Blubotlabz is working on "MountSus" ETA 2025
also many more JB's are in line
avni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:11 AM   #850
snake218
snake218 began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite 3&4
Quote:
Originally Posted by avni View Post
Interesting, any more info about it?
snake218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:59 AM   #851
Marek
Zealot
Marek shapes the world with his or her thoughts.Marek shapes the world with his or her thoughts.Marek shapes the world with his or her thoughts.Marek shapes the world with his or her thoughts.Marek shapes the world with his or her thoughts.Marek shapes the world with his or her thoughts.Marek shapes the world with his or her thoughts.Marek shapes the world with his or her thoughts.Marek shapes the world with his or her thoughts.Marek shapes the world with his or her thoughts.Marek shapes the world with his or her thoughts.

Device: PW4 :(, KT5, PB628
Quote:
Nobody here has figured out ways to do that drastic UI changes ( hiding Home tab) and youwill not get any help here on subject of removing "special offers" screensaver ads because of the official stance of forum moderators that that is something that shouldn't be discussed here on Mobileread.

Jailbreak for most part in "Kindle land" amounts to blocking firmware updates + downgrade to older firmware (that supported your model!) + use bunch on non-GUI / command line programs + ability to use KOReader as alternative reading software.
Most other user-facing UI changed that Kindle users have been using in the past are now either available in officially firmware (such as custom fonts and "book cover as screensaver") or aren't functional even on couple of years old firmware builds (such as reducing margins) let alone on the latest.

Last edited by Marek; Yesterday at 08:27 AM. Reason: Hopefully fix layout lol
Marek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:39 AM   #852
shamanNS
Guru

Nice

Publish that patch, when?
(without anime tribute )

@Hightree would surely like that.
Old Today, 09:00 AM   #853
riothamus
Connoisseur
riothamus rocks like Gibraltar!riothamus rocks like Gibraltar!riothamus rocks like Gibraltar!riothamus rocks like Gibraltar!riothamus rocks like Gibraltar!riothamus rocks like Gibraltar!riothamus rocks like Gibraltar!riothamus rocks like Gibraltar!riothamus rocks like Gibraltar!riothamus rocks like Gibraltar!riothamus rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by avni View Post
That would be great since I had a DOH moment and bid and won a KO3 32gb at FW 5.16.4. I figured I'd have to sell it. I'll keep it for now along with the KO3 8gb at FW 5.16.2.1.1. Going to try this JB on that one this week. I generally downgrade to 5.13.7 because I prefer the interface and collections display and the display of overall book length in the list. Too bad since there are features since then that I do like. I wish that there was more customization to the UI.

Last edited by riothamus; Today at 09:02 AM.
riothamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:21 AM   #854
shamanNS
Guru

IIRC 5.13.7 was the build that started with basics of current UI.
5.13.6 was the last before the changes.
And 5.14.2?? (or was it 5.14.1.1) was the last version that you could revert to older UI look by changing a config file.
Old Today, 09:30 AM   #855
riothamus
Connoisseur
riothamus rocks like Gibraltar!riothamus rocks like Gibraltar!riothamus rocks like Gibraltar!riothamus rocks like Gibraltar!riothamus rocks like Gibraltar!riothamus rocks like Gibraltar!riothamus rocks like Gibraltar!riothamus rocks like Gibraltar!riothamus rocks like Gibraltar!riothamus rocks like Gibraltar!riothamus rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: None
Quote:
IIRC 5.13.7 was the build that started with basics of current UI.
5.13.6 was the last before the changes.
And 5.14.2?? (or was it 5.14.1.1) was the last version that you could revert to older UI look by changing a config file.
Sounds about right. I think 5.13.7 has a couple of features I like and some that can be turned off like the home page, IIRC. I'll have to see if I can downgrade once I JB otherwise I'll either have to get used to the new UI or go back to my KO2 and/or KV. Or keep an eye out for the unicorn that is a KO3 with an even earlier FW.
riothamus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jailbreak, jailbreak 5.16..2.1.1, languagebreak