Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-16-2016, 10:30 PM   #1
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Turn off Publisher's Font?

Is there a way to do this with epub? I am finding more and more books I check out at the library like this. I am stuck reading in a font that renders badly.

Can't I disable it somehow?

I have a Kobo Glo HD.

Sent from my Nexus 7
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 11:35 PM   #2
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
There are many different ways the publisher can select the font face in the ePub's stylesheet, some of them can be overridden by the device, and some can't. If the publisher has used one of the methods that can't be overridden then there is only one way I know of to change it without removing DRM: a firmware patch called `Ignore ePub book CSS and Adobe XPGT stylesheets`. This will result in a book with no publisher styles at all, including no embedded fonts. Whether that is better or worse than reading with the publisher's fonts ... ?
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2016, 07:34 AM   #3
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's most often Font-Family in the stylesheet that is doing this as I've had it happen with books I own. Those I remove all instances from the stylesheet to fix the problem But I can't with Library books.

If you can't turn it off is there a way to override it? I only use Amasis.

Sent from my XT1528
Old 11-17-2016, 04:40 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
It's most often Font-Family in the stylesheet that is doing this as I've had it happen with books I own. Those I remove all instances from the stylesheet to fix the problem But I can't with Library books.

If you can't turn it off is there a way to override it? I only use Amasis.
Here's how you may be able to sort your font problem.

1. Make a copy of the ePub file
2. Rename to .zip from .epub
3. Using file explorer, go into the ZIP file and delete the offending font files
4. Exit the ZIP file and rename back to .epub from .zip
5. Pub this ePub file on your Kobo and read.

It should allow you to change the font. But, I've not tried it. The ePub does work in ADE for Windows so I think it should work in ADE for Kobo.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 08:33 PM   #5
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have made a new patch that might help with this, see this post in the developers forum.

If JSWolf's idea works then that might be better because you can just remove the embedded fonts from the books that have problems and leave the good ones alone, but the patch's advantage is that it should work with books downloaded direct from OverDrive too.

There is no way to distinguish between library books and other sideloaded ePubs though, so the patch will affect all ePubs. It shouldn't affect KePubs though, as they use a completely different system for selecting fonts.
Advert
Old 11-17-2016, 09:38 PM   #6
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
I have made a new patch that might help with this, see this post in the developers forum.

If JSWolf's idea works then that might be better because you can just remove the embedded fonts from the books that have problems and leave the good ones alone, but the patch's advantage is that it should work with books downloaded direct from OverDrive too.

There is no way to distinguish between library books and other sideloaded ePubs though, so the patch will affect all ePubs. It shouldn't affect KePubs though, as they use a completely different system for selecting fonts.
Oh I'm so excited! This is exactly what I wanted! What a wonderful birthday gift!

I'm still on Firmware 3.19.5761. I have the Kobo Glo HD How do I use this?
Old 11-17-2016, 11:16 PM   #7
GeoffR
Wizard

Quote:
It should work on any recent firmware version. You can follow the normal patching instructions for your firmware version, but copy and paste the new patches into the approprriate files before running the batch/script.

Best to post in the patching thread for yor firmware version if you have any problems or need more help.
Old 11-18-2016, 12:49 AM   #8
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Follow the directions in post #1 of this thread, but do the step in this post between steps 3 and 4. (I hope that wasn't too confusing. It makes sense as I type it.)
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 11:06 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Oh I'm so excited! This is exactly what I wanted! What a wonderful birthday gift!

The patch (IMHO) is not a good idea to use. I've seen some books where the fonts used actually have a meaning and should not be the base font. Also, I've seen some fonts embedded so the characters needed would be there. The way I specified removing the embedded fonts is the best way currently to remove embedded fonts so you can select the one you want to use. A lot of eBook embed Charis SIL and if that's the case, all of those can go easily.

But a good example is The Martian where it uses a monospace font that really should be there.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 11:26 AM   #10
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
KOReader (an addon reader for a number of devices) has several menu options to effect the CSS and Fonts. You can turn the "Embedded Style" on or off. Under the menu item "Set render style" you can select "clear all external styles", as well.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 01:07 PM   #11
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
It should work on any recent firmware version. You can follow the normal patching instructions for your firmware version, but copy and paste the new patches into the approprriate files before running the batch/script.

Best to post in the patching thread for yor firmware version if you have any problems or need more help.
Thank you both. I'm gonna patch later today. I wanted this every since I got my Kobo in January. This is like the best birthday and Christmas present rolled into one!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Follow the directions in post #1 of this thread, but do the step in this post between steps 3 and 4. (I hope that wasn't too confusing. It makes sense as I type it.)

Sent from my XT1528
Old 11-18-2016, 01:15 PM   #12
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The patch (IMHO) is not a good idea to use. I've seen some books where the fonts used actually have a meaning and should not be the base font. Also, I've seen some fonts embedded so the characters needed would be there. The way I specified removing the embedded fonts is the best way currently to remove embedded fonts so you can select the one you want to use. A lot of eBook embed Charis SIL and if that's the case, all of those can go easily.

But a good example is The Martian where it uses a monospace font that really should be there.
We don't read the same books. I've used Moon Reader before I got my Kobo which does exactly this. Overdrive app does this also so I prefer it this way.

I read Romance novels, Cozies and Urban Fantasy. They don't need fancy fonts or layouts. My Kobo Glo HD is too small for non fiction books that have a complex layout for those I use my tablet.

I'm not into science fiction either.

Sent from my XT1528
Old 11-18-2016, 07:21 PM   #13
GeoffR
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
KOReader (an addon reader for a number of devices) has several menu options to effect the CSS and Fonts. You can turn the "Embedded Style" on or off. Under the menu item "Set render style" you can select "clear all external styles", as well.
No use at all for library books though, because KOReader can't read Adobe DRM.
Old 11-18-2016, 09:10 PM   #14
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

I did it!! I'm all patched!

I also took the opportunity to remove the custom fonts I had installed. I only use Amasis so no need for Bookerly or any other but defaults.

Now I can read my library books on my Kobo instead of my tablet or Fire Phone.

Update: I just tested it and it works beautifully!

Last edited by Blossom; 11-18-2016 at 09:27 PM.
Old 11-19-2016, 12:39 AM   #15
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
With a monospaced font installed and GeoffR's patch to for librmsdk, I no longer find it necessary to embed a monospaced font.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote