Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 11-14-2019, 11:20 AM   #1
Flutteryshy
Flutteryshy began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Edit book stopped working

I've done some searching for the answer, but the threads all were a few years old and my problem is a little different so maybe there is a new trick someone can help me with.

I'm using the most current Calibre on an updated Windows 10 laptop.

I have this compendium book that I have been editing into smaller epubs (I have my weird reasons). I was importing the book, changing metadata, deleting the unnecessary files, bug check and fixes, save, move epub to new location, deleting the epub from calibre, lather, rinse, repeat. It was going great.

The second or third time for this book I did bug check and of course it alerted me to the absence of all the files I deleted. So I clicked "fix all fixable errors" and it hung. Sometimes it hangs so I wasn't concerned. It takes a minute to clear up the mess before the "no problems found" pops up. But this time the Edit Book window never came back up right. I closed it all and relaunched and clicked Edit Book and it wouldn't load properly. The icon appears in my taskbar but it doesn't show the book if I hover on it and if you click on it, nothing happens but a blank small preview. If you right click on it, it says "calibre worker process" in a command prompt style, pin, or close. Thinking I might have just royally messed up that one book, I tried another epub I had worked on just an hour or so before with zero problems. That too wouldn't open.

Long story shortened: I tried it elevated as admin. I deleted calibre and reinstalled (twice, once windows, once 64bit). I turned off my antivirus (webroot). I made sure my computer was up to date and nothing weird was running. I rebooted several times. I signed in as another user and it worked fine. Generally the only thing running is my browser and maybe notepad. Sometimes nothing else. The reader works fine. Only Edit Book seems to be messed up.

So. How do I fix this? Short term it means just making my stuff available to the other account and using calibre there, but that's inconvenient long term. Since it worked fine on literally the same epub prior to that, I know it's not a corrupted file or operator error. And since I wasn't doing anything but editing, I know it's not a weird W10 update or a rogue new app. If a fresh install and turning off antivirus didn't help, how do I track down what it is?

I'm hoping someone has a "Oh you just typed in a hot key by accident" kind of solution, but I'm pretty stumped. Something happened but I can't figure out WHAT, what could prevent it from working 100% fine one minute to unusable the next.
Flutteryshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 12:35 PM   #2
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Why are you doing it the hard way, use the EpubSplit Plugin.

bernie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flutteryshy View Post
I've done some searching for the answer, but the threads all were a few years old and my problem is a little different so maybe there is a new trick someone can help me with.

I'm using the most current Calibre on an updated Windows 10 laptop.

I have this compendium book that I have been editing into smaller epubs (I have my weird reasons). I was importing the book, changing metadata, deleting the unnecessary files, bug check and fixes, save, move epub to new location, deleting the epub from calibre, lather, rinse, repeat. It was going great.
Spoiler:

The second or third time for this book I did bug check and of course it alerted me to the absence of all the files I deleted. So I clicked "fix all fixable errors" and it hung. Sometimes it hangs so I wasn't concerned. It takes a minute to clear up the mess before the "no problems found" pops up. But this time the Edit Book window never came back up right. I closed it all and relaunched and clicked Edit Book and it wouldn't load properly. The icon appears in my taskbar but it doesn't show the book if I hover on it and if you click on it, nothing happens but a blank small preview. If you right click on it, it says "calibre worker process" in a command prompt style, pin, or close. Thinking I might have just royally messed up that one book, I tried another epub I had worked on just an hour or so before with zero problems. That too wouldn't open.

Long story shortened: I tried it elevated as admin. I deleted calibre and reinstalled (twice, once windows, once 64bit). I turned off my antivirus (webroot). I made sure my computer was up to date and nothing weird was running. I rebooted several times. I signed in as another user and it worked fine. Generally the only thing running is my browser and maybe notepad. Sometimes nothing else. The reader works fine. Only Edit Book seems to be messed up.

So. How do I fix this? Short term it means just making my stuff available to the other account and using calibre there, but that's inconvenient long term. Since it worked fine on literally the same epub prior to that, I know it's not a corrupted file or operator error. And since I wasn't doing anything but editing, I know it's not a weird W10 update or a rogue new app. If a fresh install and turning off antivirus didn't help, how do I track down what it is?

I'm hoping someone has a "Oh you just typed in a hot key by accident" kind of solution, but I'm pretty stumped. Something happened but I can't figure out WHAT, what could prevent it from working 100% fine one minute to unusable the next.
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-15-2019, 11:55 AM   #3
Flutteryshy
Flutteryshy began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Oh no the forum ate my post! Apologies in advance if it uneats and I dp.

Ok, so as to why I didn't use a plug-in... It wasn't worth the effort for a one-time thing and would have taken MORE time to find and install and learn to use, and regardless, I still would have bug checked and it still might have crashed.

I think I solved it so this is for others and for potentially me in the future if I do it again, since I don't know how I caused the crash and inability to work right afterwards.

I uninstalled Calibre. Ran Revo Uninstaller. Ran CCleaner on my registry. Searched my computer for stray Calibre files and deleted them (move and rename your library before doing that). Did Regedit and deleted all Calibre keys (back up registry before doing that in case you realllllllly mess something up.) Run CCleaner again to make sure it's all good. Reboot. Reinstall. Works fine.

I'm not too concerned about it happening again as I've never had anything like this happen having used the program for several years and that it doesn't seem to be common. It just was really hard to fix doing the "normal" things.
Flutteryshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 01:40 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Calibre Plugins are simple to find.
On the Preferences icon: Right click: Get Plugins: highlight one (you can see a short description) , then click Plugin Home Page (near lower right corner) to take you to the dedicated forum page for THAT plugin.

Split is pretty simple to use
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote