Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-05-2024, 02:43 PM   #1
Pen&Paper
Pen&Paper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pen&Paper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pen&Paper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pen&Paper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pen&Paper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pen&Paper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pen&Paper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pen&Paper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pen&Paper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pen&Paper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pen&Paper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite & Kobo Libra Colour
Battery life of Libra Colour

Kobo doubled the battery, but just after a reading session, I already lost 12% after an hour or so.

I charged it again, and same result after another reading session.

What's your experience so far?
Pen&Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2024, 04:34 PM   #2
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
The battery increased from 1430 to 2050 mAh, so it's more like a 50% boost. Kobo's battery meter is notoriously unreliable, so you won't get meaningful numbers out of it until you cycle the battery at least once (and even then, it's not guaranteed). You're going to get fewer hour of reading on the LC if you pump up the frontlight to compensate for the dark screen.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-05-2024, 05:00 PM   #3
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
So far I've run it down to 1-2% twice and recharged to 100%. On this session, I've read for ~4 hours and the battery has dropped to ~78%. Frontlight at 25% and WiFi/Bluetooth off.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2024, 05:40 PM   #4
Pen&Paper
Pen&Paper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pen&Paper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pen&Paper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pen&Paper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pen&Paper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pen&Paper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pen&Paper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pen&Paper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pen&Paper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pen&Paper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pen&Paper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've read at night, with the frontlight set to 10, and natural light in the middle, in Dark Mode.
Old 05-05-2024, 07:27 PM   #5
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pen&Paper View Post
Kobo doubled the battery, but just after a reading session, I already lost 12% after an hour or so.

I charged it again, and same result after another reading session.

What's your experience so far?
What's your frontlight at?

Mine is between 25-33%. I drain at 2% per hour with text reading. I don't have WiFi disabled
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-05-2024, 08:31 PM   #6
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
I expected the battery to drain quicker because the color feature works best with a brighter backlight, but after two days of use, I’m at around 40%, so it drains faster than my Clara 2E ever did, but I won’t mind charging every few days instead of every two weeks. I’m already conditioned to do that with my iPhone.
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2024, 11:44 PM   #7
Pen&Paper

I understand, but it’s a it disappointing.
Old 05-06-2024, 12:26 AM   #8
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, the battery capacity may have increased by 50%, but if you're using 3x more frontlight than before, the battery life will still be worse.
Old 05-06-2024, 01:15 AM   #9
Pen&Paper

I guess you haven’t read all the messages. I have read in dark mode at 10% for like an hour and losing 12% of battery.
Old 05-06-2024, 01:21 AM   #10
Aleron Ives
Wizard

Your results still sound like an outlier. Even the Libra 2 isn't that bad, so your battery meter is probably just uncalibrated, as I said in my original message.
Old 05-06-2024, 06:42 AM   #11
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pen&Paper View Post
I guess you haven’t read all the messages. I have read in dark mode at 10% for like an hour and losing 12% of battery.
Dark mode only saves power on OLED. Typically needs higher brightness than regular paper style display. Though 12% isn't much, unless the 12% on Colour is like 24% or more on mono to give same apparent brightness.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 09:24 AM   #12
DrChiper
Bookish
DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC, t1, t2, t3, aura 2 v1, clara HD, Libra 2, Nxtpaper 11
Not much help for extending battery-life, but I did found a possible interesting feature via SETTINGS > FIRMWARE INFORMATION as presented below.
It seems that the FW info pop-up is showing the current battery voltage (Vcom[mon]). Perhaps to aid in repairing (=battery replacement) of the device.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Evidence.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	208098  

Last edited by DrChiper; 05-06-2024 at 09:26 AM.
DrChiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 09:58 AM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrChiper View Post
Not much help for extending battery-life, but I did found a possible interesting feature via SETTINGS > FIRMWARE INFORMATION as presented below.
It seems that the FW info pop-up is showing the current battery voltage (Vcom[mon]). Perhaps to aid in repairing (=battery replacement) of the device.
vcom has to do with the voltage of the screen. Nothing to do with the battery.

Last edited by JSWolf; 05-06-2024 at 10:20 AM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 10:19 AM   #14
DrChiper
Bookish
DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC, t1, t2, t3, aura 2 v1, clara HD, Libra 2, Nxtpaper 11
You are right. See here for additional info.
DrChiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 10:34 AM   #15
Pen&Paper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Dark mode only saves power on OLED. Typically needs higher brightness than regular paper style display. Though 12% isn't much, unless the 12% on Colour is like 24% or more on mono to give same apparent brightness.
I read in dark mode at night, not to save power, only because it's better for my eyes in my bedroom with no lights on.

Seeing how much battery the Libra was consuming, I thought maybe it has to do with dark mode on a colour screen? Like if the dark was a colour? I know, it's probably silly.