Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-05-2024, 10:55 AM   #1
emacsomancer
emacsomancer shares his or her toysemacsomancer shares his or her toysemacsomancer shares his or her toysemacsomancer shares his or her toysemacsomancer shares his or her toysemacsomancer shares his or her toysemacsomancer shares his or her toysemacsomancer shares his or her toysemacsomancer shares his or her toysemacsomancer shares his or her toysemacsomancer shares his or her toys

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura H2O (1st edn), Xiaomi InkPalm 5
Question Block Nickel from indexing sdcard on start-up?

I'm using a Kobo H2O 1st edition with NickelMenu, basically for the purpose of running Koreader on it. This is generally fine, but when I haven't used it for a while and it shuts down, on rebooting it takes about 10-15 minutes before I can get into Koreader because Nickel is doing something, I assume (re)indexing. I assume it's so long because I have a 128gb sdcard with a bunch of things on it.

Is there a way to block Nickel from trying to index things, at least on the sdcard?
emacsomancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2024, 11:14 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by emacsomancer View Post
I'm using a Kobo H2O 1st edition with NickelMenu, basically for the purpose of running Koreader on it. This is generally fine, but when I haven't used it for a while and it shuts down, on rebooting it takes about 10-15 minutes before I can get into Koreader because Nickel is doing something, I assume (re)indexing. I assume it's so long because I have a 128gb sdcard with a bunch of things on it.

Is there a way to block Nickel from trying to index things, at least on the sdcard?
Given that the setting to shut down on not using your H2O is not really long enough, I suggest you turn that off and just let it sleep.

The maximum time you have is 4 hours and the patches to make that time longer doesn't work.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-05-2024, 02:20 PM   #3
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
You could try moving all your content into a folder named .books, as Kobo won't index content in dot folders by default.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 02:29 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
You could try moving all your content into a folder named .books, as Kobo won't index content in dot folders by default.
.directories do get indexed unless you put the code to prevent this in the config file. What you need to put in is (I think) the second post of the one-click KOReader and Plato thread.

And if you did do that, nickel would not see any of the books and they'd be removed from the database.
Old 05-09-2024, 08:11 AM   #5
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
It didn't used to, but for a while indeed it has.

You can change .kobo/Kobo/Kobo eReader.conf to read something like this to ignore dot folders.
Code:
[FeatureSettings]
ExcludeSyncFolders=(\\.(?!kobo|adobe).+|([^.][^/]*/)+\\..+)
Frenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-09-2024, 08:24 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzie View Post

You can change .kobo/Kobo/Kobo eReader.conf to read something like this to ignore dot folders.
Code:
[FeatureSettings]
But if you do this, Nickle will not see any of those eBooks.
Old 05-10-2024, 02:18 PM   #7
sparajoy
sparajoy will become famous soon enoughsparajoy will become famous soon enoughsparajoy will become famous soon enoughsparajoy will become famous soon enoughsparajoy will become famous soon enoughsparajoy will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Clara 2E, Kobo Clara Colour
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
.directories do get indexed unless you put the code to prevent this in the config file. What you need to put in is (I think) the second post of the one-click KOReader and Plato thread.

And if you did do that, nickel would not see any of the books and they'd be removed from the database.
If you're successfully running koreader on any firmware higher than iirc like 4.13 ? then this has already been added to your config file (either by the one click install scripts or manually by you when installing), since koreader itself uses those dot directories and won't run properly if nickel is trying to index them.

It also seems like hiding these files from Nickel is exactly what the OP is trying to do in the first place, as they seem to use koreader exclusively which is a separate database anyway.

That being said I do know that KOReader hides dot directories by default, but there's a setting in the file browser UI to display those directories anyway, so it's probably the easiest path to solve what OP is having issues with.
sparajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2024, 07:01 AM   #8
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparajoy View Post
That being said I do know that KOReader hides dot directories by default, but there's a setting in the file browser UI to display those directories anyway, so it's probably the easiest path to solve what OP is having issues with.
An easy way to get around that is to create .books, enable hidden files and folders, set .books as home, and disable hidden files. Or just leave it on; it probably won't get in the way anyway.
Frenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2024, 12:32 PM   #9
emacsomancer
emacsomancer shares his or her toysemacsomancer shares his or her toysemacsomancer shares his or her toysemacsomancer shares his or her toysemacsomancer shares his or her toysemacsomancer shares his or her toysemacsomancer shares his or her toysemacsomancer shares his or her toysemacsomancer shares his or her toysemacsomancer shares his or her toysemacsomancer shares his or her toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzie View Post

Code:
[FeatureSettings]
Is there a way to have it ignore the sdcard itself? (Or should I move everything to .dotfolders? The former would seem preferable. Or to have it exclude a specific named directory.)
Old 05-12-2024, 12:33 PM   #10
emacsomancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But if you do this, Nickle will not see any of those eBooks.
Thanks for the tip on the sleep/turn off setting - I'll look into that. I'm not really concerned with Nickel seeing any books, I never use it for reading.

Tags
nickel, nickelmenu, sdcard