Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-05-2024, 11:51 PM   #31
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cootey View Post
2) Turning dev mode on did not allow me to telnet into the Elipsa. As far as I know, this has always been the case for me.
One difference between the Elipsa and the Libra 2 is that the Elipsa is running the fancier firmware that supports notebooks. Perhaps Kobo disabled telnet by default on the Elipsa firmware but forgot to turn it off on the reader-only firmware? It's just a guess, but I do not have a NickelMenu entry for telnet, and yet I have used telnet multiple times, so it is possible to use telnet without NM in at least some instances (whatever they may be).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cootey View Post
Could you tell me how to do that? If you mean on the router, I can figure that out.
Yes, it would be interesting to disable 2.4 GHz on your router while Wi-Fi is disabled on the LC, then turn the LC Wi-Fi on and use telnet again to scan for Wi-Fi networks to see what shows up -- assuming you can get connected at all. The Kobo LC product page says this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobo
WiFi 802.11 ac/b/g/n (i.e. dual band, 2.4 and 5 GHz)
This makes it sound like the LC supports networks that use both 2.4 and 5 GHz, but it doesn't support networks that use only 5 GHz?
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 06:50 AM   #32
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
The Kobo LC product page says this:
Quote:
WiFi 802.11 ac/b/g/n (i.e. dual band, 2.4 and 5 GHz)
This makes it sound like the LC supports networks that use both 2.4 and 5 GHz, but it doesn't support networks that use only 5 GHz?
No, that would make no sense. But the WiFi on 2.4 or 5.x GHz can use channels or modes a gadget doesn't support. Turn off auto and check other settings.

Note we have dual band and more than a room or two away from the Airpoint the 2.4 GHz is usually faster. Our two main Airpoints are meshed via 1 Gbps ethernet and both bands are the same SSID. The Router SW decides which connection a gadget gets.

A ereader doesn't go very fast anyway, so things like 540 Mbps WiFi are irrelevant.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 11:30 AM   #33
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
I use a single SSID for the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands on my router. When I am close to the router, my Sage connects using 5GHz while when I am out on the patio, it connects using 2.4GHz.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 05:15 PM   #34
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I use a single SSID for the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands on my router. When I am close to the router, my Sage connects using 5GHz while when I am out on the patio, it connects using 2.4GHz.

If Airport supported that newer tech, I would never have noticed this problem—a problem which several power cycles seems to have fixed. I even had my LC crash last night when using notebooks, and it still connects just fine to either 2.4 or 5 GHz networks, and can see the neighbor’s 5GHz networks, too.
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2024, 05:09 AM   #35
Bapf
Bapf began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Libra Colour
Late to the party, but with the same issue.

Two days ago I connected my Libra Colour to my 5GHz WiFi without issues, today it no longer connects nor sees it.

I also have my WiFi set to auto. So maybe my router changed channels in the meantime.
(I'm in Germany using a Fritz!Box, which could be relevant regarding the channels used.)

Could it be possible the the Libra Colour does only support specific WiFi channels? (Has anyone seen technical information regarding this?)
Bapf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2024, 07:10 AM   #36
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
All laptops, phones, ereaders etc may support less than all of the channels depending on selected Locale.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2024, 06:25 PM   #37
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Anyone who is interested could check out the List of WLAN channels article on Wikipedia.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2024, 12:51 AM   #38
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
Kobo Libra Colour can't see 5GHz networks

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Anyone who is interested could check out the List of WLAN channels article on Wikipedia.

This thread seems to have bifurcated. I had already set my router to use one fixed channel for 2.4 & 5 GHz within the allowed ranges as, so my connectivity issue was different.

I mention this to help anybody else who might be coming upon this thread because their Kobo can’t connect to 5GHz. Out of the box, my LC couldn’t see or connect manually to 5GHz WiFi. I suppose I assumed this wasn’t a channel issue because my Elipsa saw and connected to the 5GHz, as did my previous Clara 2E. In my case, power cycling in the process of uninstalling and then reinstalling Nickelmenu, as well as repairing the Kobo in Device Info, seemed to reinitialize something. I have connectivity now, and I never changed any settings on my router.

Last edited by Cootey; 05-09-2024 at 04:11 AM.
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote