Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 12-01-2021, 08:43 PM   #121
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_D View Post
The only font setting I change is the size so I can read in bed without my glasses. I've never worried about other font settings/types. That's just me though.
Yeah. Some people aren't fussy and I've noticed they tend to be the ones satisfied with their Nooks and their Kindles.

I'm fussy, though. I wasn't when I started out with ereaders, but was thoroughly spoiled somewhere along the way.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 09:17 PM   #122
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
Still, I'll be amazed if the new Glow (with capacitive touch) looks much different from the Glow2 (with capacitive touch). It seems that getting rid of a touch layer (like with the Glow3 IR model) is a bigger deal than Carta 1234.
Considering the Paperwhite 4 was flogged for its screen and the Paperwhite 5 is not and both models used flush screen, capacitive touch, I would say you are incorrect. Same for the Libra H2O vs. Libra 2 (both use the same screen setup, but different Carta generations).

On top of that, the Glow 2 was a flush screen and the Glow 4 is not and (supposedly) making the screen flush can remove a bit of clarity.

The real test is: will the Glow 4 with its fancy new screen look as good as the Glow 3 which used the older screen, but no capacitive layer.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2021, 09:22 PM   #123
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_D View Post
The only font setting I change is the size so I can read in bed without my glasses. I've never worried about other font settings/types. That's just me though.
I'm with you. But a number of people have complained the jump in font size on the Nook from 3 to 4 is too large a jump.

For me, I leave minimum margins, minimum line spacing, font size 4 and I'm fine.
Old 12-01-2021, 09:26 PM   #124
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Yeah. Some people aren't fussy and I've noticed they tend to be the ones satisfied with their Nooks and their Kindles.

I'm fussy, though. I wasn't when I started out with ereaders, but was thoroughly spoiled somewhere along the way.
What's funny though is one way I am fussy is with layout. Hyphenations and spacing between words to maintain justified text. For that the Nook does a much better job than Kobo (kepub).

Yes, I could use ePub on the Kobo, but then I lose all the kepub features that Kobo obviously wants me to have. If that is their preferred format, they should do a better job on presentation.
Old 12-01-2021, 09:43 PM   #125
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
What's funny though is one way I am fussy is with layout. Hyphenations and spacing between words to maintain justified text. For that the Nook does a much better job than Kobo (kepub).

Yes, I could use ePub on the Kobo, but then I lose all the kepub features that Kobo obviously wants me to have. If that is their preferred format, they should do a better job on presentation.
I agree with you. That's why I use epubs on my Libra 2. But I found that kepubs don't look so bad on the Sage with its 8'' screen (I don't hyphenate). The spacing is more even. So the Sage is now my go-to reader, as I can use all the kepub features plus kepubs are faster as well.

I guess I'd be satisfied with hyphenated kepubs on a smaller screen, but for some mysterious reason I can't stand hyphenation. It just yanks me out of the story.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2021, 05:08 AM   #126
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:

I want to be able to adjust font height down to the pixel height, but I don't really care about hyphenation, ligatures, ... I do wish that kepub did a better job with those things, but I'm with sticking kepub.

Last edited by John F; 12-02-2021 at 05:32 AM.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 05:30 AM   #127
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Quote:
But a number of people have complained the jump in font size on the Nook from 3 to 4 is too large a jump.
This has been a common complaint for YEARS. There were community patches to the reader but I haven't used the stock reader in years.
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 08:43 AM   #128
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Why do most of the outlets who've mentioned the GlowLight 4's release keep repeating, "The first Nook Glowlight released in four years" — totally ignoring the 7.8" Nook GlowLight Plus released in 2019? Do they all get their "news" from the same clueless source?

EDIT: In the Verge you get the attached picture, which definitely makes you think the GL4 is much smaller than the GL3.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bogus2.png
Views:	164
Size:	126.8 KB
ID:	190608  

Last edited by rcentros; 12-02-2021 at 09:24 PM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 08:59 AM   #129
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I want to be able to adjust font height down to the pixel height, but I don't really care about hyphenation, ligatures, ... I do wish that kepub did a better job with those things, but I'm with sticking kepub.
I like my PocketBook's font display. I can read from top to bottom (without header or footer) and the font is measured in points. And, it gives me the choice to use "real" ePub page numbers (instead of screen numbers). You can also use the screen number option (which changes with fonts sizes, like the Kobo ePubs if you wish). I like that my ePub page number stays the same across eReaders.

I've attached an image of what the PocketBook page looks like. I would like the option to do the same on the GlowLight (no header or footer, or space for a footer when not using one). But I would settle for a "3.5" font size.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	scr0008.png
Views:	506
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	190599  
Old 12-02-2021, 06:40 PM   #130
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
I'm scratching my head because the latest page for the new Glowlight on B&N's website mentions neither Bluetooth nor audio books. Certainly not a headphone jack.
https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/noo...=9780594149293

It appears that it does have a Realtek RL8723DS, same as the Glow7.8. That is a (2.4 GHz only) WiFi and Bluetooth chip.
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 08:42 PM   #131
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
You got to love those battery life projections. A month of reading at 30 minutes per day, 1 page turn per minute, 10% frontlight and WiFi off. So ~15 hours of battery life. Yep, just what you need to travel to remote corners of the world.

According to my stats, I hit around 4.5 pages per minute over the hours I read last month and yes, those page flips tend to chew up your battery.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 08:46 PM   #132
bookyboy
Addict
bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
A serious question for everyone..

What about this is a major upgrade from the previous model?

I don't really get the point here. Just hopefully faster internals? (which would be good - always)
bookyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 08:48 PM   #133
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
You got to love those battery life projections. A month of reading at 30 minutes per day, 1 page turn per minute, 10% frontlight and WiFi off. So ~15 hours of battery life. Yep, just what you need to travel to remote corners of the world.

According to my stats, I hit around 4.5 pages per minute over the hours I read last month and yes, those page flips tend to chew up your battery.
One page turn per minute? Yikes! I'm not a lightning fast reader by any means, but KOReader stats tell me that when I'm taking 25-30 seconds to read a page it's dense material, 18-20 seconds pp my norm. The only time I take 1 minute per page or more is when reading in languages other than my L1. Those battery life guidelines are indeed disingenuous, to be kind.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 09:36 PM   #134
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookyboy View Post

I don't really get the point here. Just hopefully faster internals? (which would be good - always)
I don't think there is a major change (except maybe 32 GBs instead of 8 GBs, which some would consider a major change). But there's several incremental changes. Faster CPU. Double the RAM (from 512 MB to 1 GB) Smaller bezels. USB-C port. Capacitive touch screen instead of infrared. Some kind of built-in screen protector. And maybe (probably not) newer firmware. Hopefully the screen is as good as the GL3's.

For me, the main thing is that B&N will continue selling a 6" reader (at least for a while longer).
Old 12-02-2021, 09:51 PM   #135
Tony1988
Guru
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookyboy View Post

Kindles and kobo had no major upgrades as well. (Exferpt maybe for wireless charging on the paperwhite)So I dont see why nook is getting picked on...😂
Tony1988 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nook