Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 12-01-2021, 12:07 PM   #106
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadilly View Post
Other then the storage bump I’m not seeing much of a hardware upgrade over my 3/Plus.
Well, the quadcore processor is a jump over the older Nooks. Also, it appears (from ntx_hwconfig & photos) that it is using a 16 bit interface to the screen. The Glow 7.8" had 16 bit (and more pixels), the previous models had 8 bit. For me, Bluetooth is important; I've become attached to my clickers.

I might end up buying one, but the Poke3 I'm currently using still looks better.
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 12:27 PM   #107
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
That's the first thing I noticed. I knew you're weren't going to be happy.
Yeah, I just don't get it. They were early to the waterproofing scene with the original Glowlight Plus and just haven't gone back (well, the big Glowlight Plus is also waterproof, but I'm not interested in it).

If it had orange light (especially the great GL3 orange light) and waterproofing, it would be a for sure purchase. Now it's just a 'most likely' purchase

Quote:
So basically it's a Nook Glowlight 3...
That's what I was thinking, but funny enough this:

Quote:
with more memory, a faster CPU, capacitive touch, USB-C and is lighter with smaller bezels.
Made me think 'Oh yeah, there are a significant number of improvements.'

Quote:
Looks like they added the extra memory to push the price point up $20 or $30 — If I remember right, the GL3 was introduced at $129 but dropped to $119 fairly quickly (or am I thinking of another Nook?).
No, you're right. I'd expect the 4 to settle at $120-130.

Quote:
I do still want to see one though. Also looking forward to reviews on it.
Yeah, for sure.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2021, 12:32 PM   #108
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
This quote from the B&N press release is encouraging (at least it is to me)...
I really hope some of that innovation is on the software side.

Their software isn't missing much and what is missing mostly would be easy to add. But there's just so many little things, it's the death of a thousand cuts.
Old 12-01-2021, 01:11 PM   #109
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I really hope some of that innovation is on the software side.

Their software isn't missing much and what is missing mostly would be easy to add. But there's just so many little things, it's the death of a thousand cuts.
According to EBook Reader (hope I got the name right) the GL4 has the "new" (I'm guessing Carta 1200) screens.

Quote:
The Glowlight 4 has a 6-inch 300 ppi E Ink screen, and they’re using the newer screens with improved contrast so that’s a big plus.
https://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/20...released-soon/

So that's another plus.

EDIT:
You're right. It all adds up. I got it in my head that it was going to be waterproof (not something I really care about, but know you (and others) do. From my perspective, it's probably easier to replace the battery if it's NOT water proof.

Last edited by rcentros; 12-01-2021 at 01:14 PM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 01:14 PM   #110
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, it is Carta 1200. (So was the Glow2.)

Although it is always difficult getting a shred of info out of Eink. Here's the Rosetta stone:
https://www.beck-elektronik.de/en/pr...ive-matrix-epd

Last edited by Renate; 12-01-2021 at 01:18 PM.
Advert
Old 12-01-2021, 01:26 PM   #111
christianbk
Connoisseur
christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: At least one of each brand
I'll probably pick one up. I'm a sucker for new ereaders (have way too many). I'm not usually a big recessed screen fan but I do really enjoy the velvety touch the Glowlight Plus has.

One sale isn't going to light their world on fire to continue making Nook investments, but it's at least doing my part to show I'm ready and willing and continue supporting them...
christianbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 02:10 PM   #112
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
Yes, it is Carta 1200. (So was the Glow2.)

Although it is always difficult getting a shred of info out of Eink. Here's the Rosetta stone:
https://www.beck-elektronik.de/en/pr...ive-matrix-epd
I thought the Glowlight 2 was an older device; Carta 1200 is relatively new.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 02:33 PM   #113
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Yeah, I have the Glowlight 2 (aka 6" Glowlight Plus) and I don't think it has a Carta 1200. It has the same Carta screen as my Clara, I believe.
Old 12-01-2021, 03:31 PM   #114
bookyboy
Addict
bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I don't really see anything particularly compelling vs the GL3 ... let alone agains the other brands recent new releases.
bookyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 04:41 PM   #115
Renate
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
What can I say? Here are the actual display model numbers. I'm just going on what that German table says.
Code:
BNRV510   "Glow2"  Piper   6.0  White  1072x1448  Carta  ED060KC1
BNRV520   "Glow3"  Jay     6.0  Black  1072x1448  Carta  ED060KG2
BNRV700   "Glow4"  Quill   7.8  Black  1404x1872  Carta  ED078KC1
BNRV1100           Gentoo  6.0  Black  1072x1448  Carta  ED060KH6C2
The PocketBook HD is ED060KH6C1

I'm working on rooting the new Nook. (No, I don't have one, yet.)
Old 12-01-2021, 05:07 PM   #116
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

I'm fairly sure that the Glow2 preceeds the release of the Carta 1200.
Old 12-01-2021, 06:05 PM   #117
Renate
Wizard

Ok, well there's Carta 1000, 1100, 1200 & 1250.
Good luck getting a spec of detail or release date on any of those.

The 1200 seems to be from this year, the Kobo Sage & Clarissa being the first two known examples.

Maybe, and I'm only saying maybe, they list previously available models that were made with Carta XXXX as Carta 1200 because they just throw the latest Carta film on anything that they are making at the time. That would explain why all the info out of Eink only says "Carta".

Still, I'll be amazed if the new Glow (with capacitive touch) looks much different from the Glow2 (with capacitive touch). It seems that getting rid of a touch layer (like with the Glow3 IR model) is a bigger deal than Carta 1234.
Old 12-01-2021, 06:59 PM   #118
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:

Still, I'll be amazed if the new Glow (with capacitive touch) looks much different from the Glow2 (with capacitive touch). It seems that getting rid of a touch layer (like with the Glow3 IR model) is a bigger deal than Carta 1234.
That's not my experience. The Sage and the Libra 2 with their new Carta screens have considerably better contrast than anything older I've seen from any brand (the only exception being the 7 years old Kindle Voyage, which still has superb contrast surpassing all other eink readers I've seen).

I don't think IR vs capacitive makes a huge difference. I've had an IR Kindle and the screen on that one was pretty average. OTOH, capacitive Voyage, Sage and Libra 2 all have excellent screens.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 07:07 PM   #119
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Ok, well there's Carta 1000, 1100, 1200 & 1250.
Good luck getting a spec of detail or release date on any of those.

The 1200 seems to be from this year, the Kobo Sage & Clarissa being the first two known examples.

Maybe, and I'm only saying maybe, they list previously available models that were made with Carta XXXX as Carta 1200 because they just throw the latest Carta film on anything that they are making at the time. That would explain why all the info out of Eink only says "Carta".

And I am confused about when 1200 actually was released. I mixed it up with the announcement earlier this year of On-Cell Touch tech (or whatever it is called).

John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 08:30 PM   #120
Rich_D
Fanatic
Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Kobo Glo HD, nook ST with Glo (backup)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Well, one, this year. And they made it worse, if that's even possible. Now there are even fewer small and middle sizes than before.
The only font setting I change is the size so I can read in bed without my glasses. I've never worried about other font settings/types. That's just me though.
Rich_D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nook