Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 10-20-2009, 03:49 AM   #31
mrkai
Bit Wrangler
mrkai has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mrkai has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mrkai has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mrkai has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mrkai has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Interesting all of the detractors of a color *touch screen*...lack of imagination from avid readers.

Interesting twist.

Navigation, ala iPhone/iPod Touch "coverflow" style...touchscreen for soft keyboard...screen for dictionary lookup stuff without messing with the book text, music controls without leaving your page, etc.

Think of it like the extra space at the bottom of the kindle where the keyboard is that. on a Kindle, does nothing else, applied to a whole range of functionality...so that it actually has appeal to a broader audience.

Many books have very attractive covers you know. I'll put 5 on it right now that the tech kids will be "ok, this is cool, finally" instead of "bah. eBook. Whatever."

It will be a nice "oh, well, hey gee that is nice" moment for a great many people. Of course, I got this damned sony I just bought....from Best Buy. Mayhaps I should be looking at that return policy, heheh.

-K
mrkai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 04:07 AM   #32
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkai View Post
Interesting all of the detractors of a color *touch screen*...lack of imagination from avid readers.

Interesting twist.

Navigation, ala iPhone/iPod Touch "coverflow" style...touchscreen for soft keyboard...screen for dictionary lookup stuff without messing with the book text, music controls without leaving your page, etc.

Think of it like the extra space at the bottom of the kindle where the keyboard is that. on a Kindle, does nothing else, applied to a whole range of functionality...so that it actually has appeal to a broader audience.

Many books have very attractive covers you know. I'll put 5 on it right now that the tech kids will be "ok, this is cool, finally" instead of "bah. eBook. Whatever."

It will be a nice "oh, well, hey gee that is nice" moment for a great many people. Of course, I got this damned sony I just bought....from Best Buy. Mayhaps I should be looking at that return policy, heheh.

-K
My thinking is that if some part of the device is fast and responsive, people won't notice the e-ink, which still operates in geologic time.

I'm a little sick of the ipod styling though...guess the designers after a few years still haven't gotten the memo that an ebook reader is not the same size and isn't intended to be held the same way.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2009, 04:48 AM   #33
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
Looks great! I definately wants this above anything else right now! At least based on looks.. :P

So, annotation? Dictionary? Cost of light-add-on?
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 04:51 AM   #34
Euroboy
Connoisseur
Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle2 Intl.
It is tuesday...... where is it?
Euroboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 05:07 AM   #35
lordvetinari2
Zealot
lordvetinari2 is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi & Galaxy Note
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euroboy View Post
It is tuesday...... where is it?
The B&N press conference is today at 4PM EST, which means New York time.

I hope they give more details on what the secondary screen does, apart from the cover flow thingie. If this "Nook" can deliver multiple format support (ePub with Adobe DRM) and offers an easily swappable dictionary feature (for languages other than English) on the LCD screen, I may have to buy one.
lordvetinari2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2009, 05:24 AM   #36
Euroboy
Connoisseur
Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordvetinari2 View Post
The B&N press conference is today at 4PM EST, which means New York time.
oh no, I have my finger on the ebay trigger for a kindle dx, don´t tell me I have to wait until 4 pm EST!..
Old 10-20-2009, 05:29 AM   #37
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeD View Post
Book lending sounds like a great feature, hopefully the reader makes it way to places other than the US though

I thought the announcement of colour support was retracted by B&N?
That is great. Right now I buy most of my books from Amazon. Both me and my ex-roommate started with Sony PRS-505 and shared an account. I added the Amazon Kindle 10 months later and have stopped buying Sony books not only because of price but because I've learned that I am gadget freak and the Sony format could not be liberated. Both of us were planning on buying the Sony PRS-900 in order to update our PRS-505s but I've been talking to her about keeping our PRS-505s (both are still in fantastic conditions
) and getting another brand (she does not like the Kindle keyboard so Amazon is out). We are still sharing book cost, I buy the book and free it and make a Sony copy for my PRS-505 which I also e-mail to her. We spend an average of $30 a month on books and we split it down the middle. I would love a legal way to share books with her like it use to be when we shared our Sony account. Anyway, I had that Amazon account since 2000 and use it a lot outside of the Kindle and even if she had a Kindle, I would refuse to give her my password. My amazon account is sacred and both of us would have to set a dummy account to share which is too much hassle!

Last edited by Lilly; 10-20-2009 at 05:32 AM.
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 06:13 AM   #38
nelsonescorcio
Zealot
nelsonescorcio doesn't litternelsonescorcio doesn't litter

Device: Cybook Gen 3
Quote:
oh no, I have my finger on the ebay trigger for a kindle dx, don´t tell me I have to wait until 4 pm EST!..
But the DX is not sold internationally, is it?
And you live in Europe, right?

Last edited by nelsonescorcio; 10-20-2009 at 06:40 AM.
nelsonescorcio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 06:50 AM   #39
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by sforce View Post
From the NYT:

"The advertisement for the Nook says that consumers will be able to “access over one million e-books, newspapers and magazines.” About 500,000 of the books available at BN.com can be downloaded free, through an agreement with Google to provide electronic versions of public domain books that Google has scanned from university libraries. These editions are currently not available on the Kindle."
True, but if they are available at google, it's just a matter of converting them to uninfected mobi for display on the kindle...
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 06:57 AM   #40
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerxes View Post
I will not buy a 4th e-reader. I simply can't... Well.
I'll buy a 5th if it's the right one and offers something the others don't.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 07:02 AM   #41
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
Quote:
Originally Posted by benham View Post
All I want for Christmas is a little Niikie?
Don't you mean a little Nookie!
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 07:11 AM   #42
Storm27
Connoisseur
Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3S, android phone
I'm curious about sharing books with friends.

I'm all for it, but I don't see how B&N are going to do it - I thought the restrictions were put in place by the publishers, not the stores. So are B&N going to renegotiate all contracts? Or are they not going to support books by the big publishers who (probably) won't budge? Or will there be tiny small print in a lot of cases saying "This book cannot be shared" that most customers will only notice after they try to pass books on?
Storm27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 07:22 AM   #43
Euroboy
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsonescorcio View Post
But the DX is not sold internationally, is it?
And you live in Europe, right?
Yes but ebay does ship internationally
Old 10-20-2009, 08:05 AM   #44
nelsonescorcio
Zealot
nelsonescorcio doesn't litternelsonescorcio doesn't litter

Device: Cybook Gen 3
Quote:
Yes but ebay does ship internationally
OK, fair enough.

You may also want to look at http://www.shopanyamericanstore.com/. Bought many things from them and it works great.

One more thing (still off topic - please excuse me!): how to you plan buying books from Amazon?

Now, about the new B&N device: a agree with most of people here - it does not seem to offer anything new. The touch screen makes it just a nicer gadget, not a better e-reader.

Last edited by nelsonescorcio; 10-20-2009 at 08:07 AM.
nelsonescorcio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 08:19 AM   #45
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsonescorcio View Post
You may also want to look at http://www.shopanyamericanstore.com/. Bought many things from them and it works great.
Is it worth it? I've mostly been able to find what I wanted to buy somewhere that shipped to me - and often from inside EU. Getting things from outside EU, I also have to pay duty and taxes and *fees*. When I add all that up, it's starts to get prohibitively expensive - and then I assume this company wants a fee on top of it - but they don't state at all how much...
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote