Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 12-27-2017, 11:01 PM   #61
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
Thanks for that tip! I wasn't aware of that and I grabbed my Nook and tried it, expecting it not to work since I'm reading sideloaded books, but sure enough, there it was. Thank you very much.
Yeah, that was a great tip. Fired up the Glowlight 3 and on the progress bar it told me there were five pages left.

Sideloaded books *should* work the same as purchased books on a Nook, aside from syncing with other Nooks.

Last edited by ZodWallop; 12-28-2017 at 10:32 AM.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 02:45 AM   #62
tiltowait
Zealot
tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Y'know, it's interesting. During the day, I really like my Nook. At night, I'm less enamored with it, and it all comes down to the sunken screen and the shadows cast by the bezels. That has a lot to do with the positioning of the lamp on my bed stand, but it's not something I can easily help, and most of my reading is at night when I go to bed ...

The KA1's light is very reminiscent of f.lux, if you've used that. It grows more and more red as time goes by, in a more subtle gradient than the Nook. One nice thing about it is that it turns markedly red at the "bedtime" I've configured in the settings, which helps prevent me from reading too late!

It seems like there's a chance Kobo is moving to a more yellow light, assuming the post I read about the KA1 LE wasn't an aberration.
tiltowait is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2017, 05:46 AM   #63
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiltowait View Post
Dislike:
* The weird, phony "pages" metric it uses. The hardcover copy of the book I'm reading is 464 pages; the Nook says 440, so it's simply wrong. Why can't it just tell me how many screens the book will be?
Sorry, but ePub pages are NOT phony pages. It's a different format with different page numbering. When this book comes out in paperback, it will again have a different set of page numbers. Just take it as a different container will have different page numbers. That's all you have to know. Hardcover, ePub, trade paperback, & MMPB will all have different page numbers. No one set of page numbers is more correct then another.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 10:28 AM   #64
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Y'know, it's interesting. During the day, I really like my Nook. At night, I'm less enamored with it, and it all comes down to the sunken screen and the shadows cast by the bezels. That has a lot to do with the positioning of the lamp on my bed stand, but it's not something I can easily help, and most of my reading is at night when I go to bed ...

The KA1's light is very reminiscent of f.lux, if you've used that. It grows more and more red as time goes by, in a more subtle gradient than the Nook. One nice thing about it is that it turns markedly red at the "bedtime" I've configured in the settings, which helps prevent me from reading too late!

It seems like there's a chance Kobo is moving to a more yellow light, assuming the post I read about the KA1 LE wasn't an aberration.
If you have both a lamp and the front light going at the same time, shouldn't the front light lessen/erase shadows caused by the lamp? Maybe try turning up the front light a bit to find the right balance for you.
Old 12-28-2017, 10:31 AM   #65
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Sorry, but ePub pages are NOT phony pages. It's a different format with different page numbering. When this book comes out in paperback, it will again have a different set of page numbers. Just take it as a different container will have different page numbers. That's all you have to know. Hardcover, ePub, trade paperback, & MMPB will all have different page numbers. No one set of page numbers is more correct then another.
By 'phony pages', I believe he means* if you see '77 of 314' and hit Page Forward, you should see '78 of 314'. Sometimes you don't.

I don't think* he's expecting the pages to correspond to the print version.

*I admit I shouldn't be answering for someone else. If I'm wrong, please do let me know.
Advert
Old 12-28-2017, 10:53 AM   #66
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
By 'phony pages', I believe he means* if you see '77 of 314' and hit Page Forward, you should see '78 of 314'. Sometimes you don't.

*I admit I shouldn't be answering for someone else. If I'm wrong, please do let me know.
That's what I got out of the part about the phony page number.
Old 12-28-2017, 01:35 PM   #67
tiltowait
Zealot
tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Quote:

You are exactly correct.

One other problem with this is that it makes bookmarks kind of weird. Let's say I place a bookmark on a page. If I want to go back to that bookmark, I expect it to take me right back to that "screen" I was on. It might, or it might not. If the screen I bookmarked was actually page 77.5, tapping the bookmark will take me to 77.0, which isn't where I wanted to go.

It's just bad UX.
Old 12-28-2017, 06:11 PM   #68
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Sorry, but ePub pages are NOT phony pages. It's a different format with different page numbering. ...
I've never been able to understand why they do this. Page numbers in ePubs don't correspond to the actual "page" (screen) on the Reader anyhow. Why not hard code the page numbers to be the same as the page numbers in printed version of the book? Then, for citations, etc., you would have a consistent reference regardless of the medium.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 06:33 PM   #69
tiltowait
Zealot

Quote:
If you have both a lamp and the front light going at the same time, shouldn't the front light lessen/erase shadows caused by the lamp? Maybe try turning up the front light a bit to find the right balance for you.
It's purely a matter of personal preference, but I prefer to have the light a bit dimmer than the ambient light of the room. I find it makes the screen look more like real paper that way, but unfortunately, it accentuates the shadows.

I was curious and did some close-up comparisons between my GL3 and KA1. I found that the KA1 text looks just as dark as the Nook ... with the light off. I've attached some images to this post. The first is the Kobo; the second, the Nook.

Also of note is that both fonts are rendering Georgia, yet they look different. Kobo's version is taller; note how narrow the letter 'o' is compared to the Nook.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	usB3S1w.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	1.27 MB
ID:	161023   Click image for larger version

Name:	b8ScFqf.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	1.22 MB
ID:	161024  
Old 12-28-2017, 08:51 PM   #70
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I think you guys have the wrong idea about page numbers. If the page number in the ereader disagrees with the page number in a paper book it's obviously a design flaw in the paper books. Technology and ereaders are developing very rapidly while paper books are hardly advancing in their technology at all.

My suggestion is to take your paper book along with some whiteout and a marker and correct it's page numbers.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 09:30 PM   #71
Richwood
Astronomy Nut
Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (All), Kobo (Multiple), Sony (most) and Nook Glowlight Plus
Modern e-readers with their varying screen sizes and font sizes plus things such as adjustable margins guarantee that hard page numbers are virtually impossible. A 5" Sony or Kobo Mini is going to display a book in far more pages than the paperback or hard cover printed version or the pages displayed on a Kindle DX with a 9.7" screen. That is the nature of the technology Demanding a page by page correspondence between a printed book and ebook is only going to happen with a PDF file printout and a non reflowing PDF reader and file and the file may be unreadable on most 6" screen ebook readers.

To me this is like asking that every printed version of a given book, whether hardback, paperback or whatever have the same number of pages. It does not happen and most likely never will.
Richwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 09:41 PM   #72
tiltowait
Zealot

I'm not sure where the confusion is coming from, but it seems to be common in this thread.

I want "x of y" to refer to screen-sized pages, whatever that size may be. So in order to reach the end of the book, I have to click the button y times, no more, no less. I don't care if it matches with some print version. If I made it seem like that's what I wanted, I apologize for the confusion.
Old 12-29-2017, 03:02 PM   #73
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
It's purely a matter of personal preference, but I prefer to have the light a bit dimmer than the ambient light of the room. I find it makes the screen look more like real paper that way, but unfortunately, it accentuates the shadows.

I was curious and did some close-up comparisons between my GL3 and KA1. I found that the KA1 text looks just as dark as the Nook ... with the light off. I've attached some images to this post. The first is the Kobo; the second, the Nook.

Also of note is that both fonts are rendering Georgia, yet they look different. Kobo's version is taller; note how narrow the letter 'o' is compared to the Nook.
One weird thing: The text in your Nook picture looked gritty and jagged. I'm pretty sure that's just from the picture as I haven't seen the same on my actual GL3.

Wolf should be here in about thirty seconds to tell you the Nooks are garbage at rendering fonts.

Was the Kobo book ePub or kepub?

Assuming the book was kepub (and you have more time than you know what to do with) it might be interesting to upload the same book as an ePub on both devices and compare the fonts. Kobo uses different engines for kepub vs. ePub and fonts are rendered differently. I'm not sure which renders the fonts more accurately though.
Old 12-29-2017, 03:09 PM   #74
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
I'm not sure where the confusion is coming from, but it seems to be common in this thread.

I want "x of y" to refer to screen-sized pages, whatever that size may be. So in order to reach the end of the book, I have to click the button y times, no more, no less. I don't care if it matches with some print version. If I made it seem like that's what I wanted, I apologize for the confusion.
I get what you mean exactly. You want ePub to display page count the same way kepub does on a Kobo.

I thought that ePub just didn't work that way, but apparently Apple's iBooks does.
Old 12-29-2017, 03:22 PM   #75
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

RMSDK (ADE) displays pages as 1024 compressed bytes. So whatever that uncompresses to is a page. This means that when you change the font, the font size, the line hight, the margins, or hyphenation on or off, the page number does not change. It remains the same. There's nothing wrong or phony about that.

Counting screens is not accurate ad does change when you change any of the above listed settings. Those page numbers are wrong and are phony.

ADE style page numbers can be cited. Number of screens cannot.