Notices

Old 06-03-2011, 10:42 PM   #46
Antioch
Connoisseur
Antioch began at the beginning.

Device: Nook STR, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I hope that's a PDF on screen. Way too much margin left & right.
He may just have the margins and spacing set at large levels too...
Antioch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 12:21 AM   #47
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
I didn't purchase mine tonight. Going to sleep on it. I have until Sunday to pick it up before they make it available to someone else.

The first thing I noticed is the screen is NOT grey! I hope it's not a demo fluke as it's just amazing that they pulled this off. I always thought grey background was something we all had to live with. I don't know how B&N did it, but others need to follow suit. After viewing this screen, there's no way I could settle for any device with a grey background. It's all about reading on eink, and this actually simulates physical book reading nicely.

The device is much more attractive in person as many have stated. It does not look strange once you pick it up. In fact, you don't even pay attention to the cosmetics of it once you start reading. The device does disappear because you're not distracted by the casing.

I found the hardware buttons on the left and right side easy to press. You do have to make an effort to press them. You can't just brush against them. To me, that's a positive.

The user interface is exactly as the NOOKcolor.

I didn't notice any ghosting after playing with it for 20 minutes.

Moving between the different menus is fluid. The on screen keyboard is very responsive. Much better than the Sony.

There are some Kindle and Sony owners turning their nose up at this device. All I can say is, your opinion will change after a hands on. It may not be the device for you, for whatever reason, but what B&N have done is worthy of admiration.

My only negative is the screen is recessed. I would have preferred it be flushed with the bezel. Page turning by tapping causes your finger to brush against the inside of the bezel.

I'm certain I'll get one. Now that I played with one I have a better sense of what type of cover I want. The initial one I picked out before the hands on is out of the question now. I don't even think I want a cover now. Perhaps just a sleeve. It feels wonderful in the hand; no need for a cover to make it more book-like.

Last edited by SCION; 06-04-2011 at 01:00 AM.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2011, 01:14 AM   #48
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
I didn't purchase mine tonight. Going to sleep on it. I have until Sunday to pick it up before they make it available to someone else.

The first thing I noticed is the screen is NOT grey! I hope it's not a demo fluke as it's just amazing that they pulled this off. I always thought grey background was something we all had to live with. I don't know how B&N did it, but others need to follow suit. After viewing this screen, there's no way I could settle for any device with a grey background. It's all about reading on eink, and this actually simulates physical book reading nicely.

The device is much more attractive in person as many have stated. It does not look strange once you pick it up. In fact, you don't even pay attention to the cosmetics of it once you start reading. The device does disappear because you're not distracted by the casing.

I found the hardware buttons on the left and right side easy to press. You do have to make an effort to press them. You can't just brush against them. To me, that's a positive.

The user interface is exactly as the NOOKcolor.

I didn't notice any ghosting after playing with it for 20 minutes.

Moving between the different menus is fluid. The on screen keyboard is very responsive. Much better than the Sony.

There are some Kindle and Sony owners turning their nose up at this device. All I can say is, your opinion will change after a hands on. It may not be the device for you, for whatever reason, but what B&N have done is worthy of admiration.

My only negative is the screen is recessed. I would have preferred it be flushed with the bezel. Page turning by tapping causes your finger to brush against the inside of the bezel.

I'm certain I'll get one. Now that I played with one I have a better sense of what type of cover I want. The initial one I picked out before the hands on is out of the question now. I don't even think I want a cover now. Perhaps just a sleeve. It feels wonderful in the hand; no need for a cover to make it more book-like.
nice write up , thanks for taking the time. did not make it to my BN tonight like I wanted, wil be heading over either saturday or sunday. I'm not in the market for a new ereader, I have two, but if it's as nice as I hear, the $139 is very very close to impluse buy
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 01:34 AM   #49
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Hi Scion, when you mention the on screen keyboard as "much better than the Sony", are you referring to the 900 you sold?

Also, the screen has to be recessed for the ir touch to work.

Thanks for the review.

The ghosting problem noticed by other reviewers sounds like a complete disaster. I am inclined to prefer the kobo touch, but I will await further reviews.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 01:36 AM   #50
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: MeeBook, Kobo Libra Colour
I think the screen has to be recessed to allow for the IR sensors.

Someone who has a Sony or Kobo with the same tech please correct me if I'm wrong.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2011, 01:38 AM   #51
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post
I think the screen has to be recessed to allow for the IR sensors.

Someone who has a Sony or Kobo with the same tech please correct me if I'm wrong.
You are quite correct
Old 06-04-2011, 01:45 AM   #52
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
Hi Scion, when you mention the on screen keyboard as "much better than the Sony", are you referring to the 900 you sold?

Also, the screen has to be recessed for the ir touch to work.

Thanks for the review.

The ghosting problem noticed by other reviewers sounds like a complete disaster. I am inclined to prefer the kobo touch, but I will await further reviews.
I'm referring to the current Sony line with regard to the keyboard. I only played with the 950 on several occasions. Just couldn't get past the price of $299 at the time.

The screen seems to be more recessed than the Sonys. I don't recall consciously feeling the bezel when I turned pages on the Sony.

The Kobo doesn't allow you to change margins and line spacing. I tried to like it, but that's something I can't overlook. Some insist on pdf panning and zooming, and Kobo offers this. Perhaps they don't see being stuck with publisher defaults as a negative.
Old 06-04-2011, 01:46 AM   #53
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...

Scion! You had a hands on with the new kobo touch!?

Where!?
Old 06-04-2011, 01:48 AM   #54
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Scion! You had a hands on with the new kobo touch!?

Where!?
No I didn't. I'm just going by the YouTube videos and the marketing one at Kobo.com.
Old 06-04-2011, 01:52 AM   #55
apastuszak
Evangelist
apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, nook Glowlight Plus, Apple iPad Air 2
Can you collapse shelves down now, or is everything still one long list of books?
apastuszak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 01:53 AM   #56
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...

Much to think about. I am not a fan of BnN's bookstore (with their unique DRM), but then I can buy ePub anywhere and remove the adobe DRM for the nook... Hmmm.
Old 06-04-2011, 02:47 AM   #57
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Now I've seen user pics of the Nook Touch I really like the screen quality. I am a little worried about ghosting and how bad it is. What I really like to know is about the SD Card. Can I add books that are on the SD Card to shelves? If I want to pop the card out to add books. Do I have to turn the Nook off or is there an unmount option? How does it work.

On my Pocket Pro I just pop the card out, put it in my card reader then add my books and pop it back in. I don't need to turn the device off or do anything else.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 03:42 AM   #58
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
How easy is it to annotate your books with the new nook? Does it support "free-hand" annotation using the touch screen, or do you enter annotations using a soft keyboard on the screen? Can you export your annotations?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 05:18 AM   #59
iandix
Addict
iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.

Device: nook touch a Nook 3g (rooted) and a nookcolor (rooted)
Quote:
Much to think about. I am not a fan of BnN's bookstore (with their unique DRM), but then I can buy ePub anywhere and remove the adobe DRM for the nook... Hmmm.
why do you need to remove Adobe DRM for the nook? the nook can display both Adobe and B&N DRM systems. I like this as I can buy books from any epub seller including one that is one of the biggest in the world, while the Kobo is limited to only the Adobe System.
iandix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 05:42 AM   #60
zwarbles
Connoisseur
zwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura about

Device: iPad, Nook, NC, NST, Kobo, Nook Glo, K4, KPW Touch
I have played around and read 1/3 of a book on my new Nook. I have not had any ghosting issues or any issues for that matter.

I am very impressed with how responsive the screen is. I initially thought I wanted to use the buttons to change pages. I have an iPad that I use a lot to read on, and I get tired of swiping to turn pages.

I loved the fact I could pick this new Nook up and not have it change pages because my fingers happen to be near the page turn buttons. You actually have to press the button to turn the pages. Yet, it was simple enough to press the button. I found or rather it appeared to me, that the pages seemed to turn quicker with just a tap on the screen rather than using the button. I also like the fact I was able to change which buttons I wanted to be on top or bottom for the page turns:

I have not tried a PDF book yet as I try to use epub or mobi as a general rule.
I have made folders to organize my library and it was very simple to do. They are easy to access also.

I have been using the original Nook and this new one is so much smaller. It feels wonderful to hold.

All in all, after a few hours using it, I like it. It's very easy to use and straight forward.
zwarbles is offline   Reply With Quote