Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 05-24-2011, 12:28 PM   #31
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
I didn't use the web browser or the MP3 player, either, but it was sort of a self-fulfilling prophecy. The speakers were, well, tinny - imho - and the web browser was less useful than, say, whipping out my smartphone. Again, imho.

If those two things had been improved upon, I might have used them. But those aren't big draws for me - I really prefer using my MP3 player for music and my phone for browsing.

But I liked the 3G book delivery.

Anyone know how much longer we'll have 3G on the Nook Classics? There's a rumor on the Nook boards that B&N may not renew the AT&T contract indefinitely.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 12:32 PM   #32
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
Does anyone see anything about a dictionary?
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2011, 12:33 PM   #33
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
They would be stupid to get rid of the dictionary. If anything the new one should be easier to use with the touchscreen then the lcd mini screen.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 12:35 PM   #34
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Good, I never used the browser or the MP3 on my nook classic. I'd rather they removed those if it makes it cheaper.
Occasionally, I listen to audiobooks on my Kindle. Can't do that with the new Nook.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 12:40 PM   #35
randyharris
randyharris began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Does this new touch nook still support ePub books? When they said it supports over 2 million books I assume that it must still support ePub ebooks.
randyharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2011, 12:41 PM   #36
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
I'll be getting one as soon as they come to Best Buy. Excited!!! I knew the NOOK was due for a cosmetic refresh this year. Feeling good about my NOOKcolor now (CM7 internal with NOOK for Android app). Glad I didn't get rid of it as planned a couple of weeks ago. Like I mentioned before, willing to overlook lack of library management. Can't believe I was going to spend $299 on the Sony 950 last year (before stumbling upon the NOOKcolor). Couldn't justify the cost, knowing that I would NEVER shop at the Sony bookstore. Kindle wasn't an option with that keyboard.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 12:41 PM   #37
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Yes, dictionary was explicitly mentioned.
Yes epub support, including library lending.

I don't see much value to the WiFi without a browser.
Internet research is a natural companion to reading. Even the K2's simple browser was very useful for that kind of text based stuff, and better in some ways for it than the K3's browser.

Buying books from one source is nice, I guess, but if I can't even side load via the WiFi, and I have to use the USB cable anyway for that, then I'd rather they leave WiFi out and make the reader cheaper.

Last edited by ApK; 05-24-2011 at 12:47 PM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 12:43 PM   #38
graphicsgirl
Connoisseur
graphicsgirl will become famous soon enoughgraphicsgirl will become famous soon enoughgraphicsgirl will become famous soon enoughgraphicsgirl will become famous soon enoughgraphicsgirl will become famous soon enoughgraphicsgirl will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook wifi, Ebookwise 1150, Dell Axim x5
Nice. Might have to upgrade my nook classic. Been looking for touchscreen and longer battery life. I like to support B&N since competition has been great for the ereader market ever since the classic nook hit $149 last year.
graphicsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 12:44 PM   #39
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
I didn't use the web browser or the MP3 player, either, but it was sort of a self-fulfilling prophecy. The speakers were, well, tinny - imho - and the web browser was less useful than, say, whipping out my smartphone. Again, imho.

If those two things had been improved upon, I might have used them. But those aren't big draws for me - I really prefer using my MP3 player for music and my phone for browsing.
Audiobooks are important to me and I listen to then occasionally on my Kindle. Audible books sound great on the KSO's built-in speakers.

Hopefully, Amazon will retain the Kindle's audio features: MP3 player, Audible support, and text-to-speech when they upgrade to touch screen.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 12:44 PM   #40
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomtroll View Post
Does anyone see anything about a dictionary?
There's a video on Engadget showing the dictionary. Basically you do a long press on a word and it brings a context menu for the look-up.

Last edited by afv011; 05-24-2011 at 12:45 PM. Reason: Typo
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 12:50 PM   #41
jswinden
Nameless Being

@Pomtroll, The demo video on the B&N website shows the dictionary being used.

@randyharris, The specs show support for ePub and PDF and four image types (gif, png, bmp, and jpg).

Just out of curiousity, do any of the earlier or current nooks have a landscape reading mode? I know the nookcolor does not. No landscape is not a deal killer in my opinion, but it would be nice to have.

Last edited by jswinden; 05-24-2011 at 12:54 PM.
Old 05-24-2011, 12:56 PM   #42
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
There's a video on Engadget showing the dictionary. Basically you do a long press on a word and it brings a context menu for the look-up.
A couple comments based on that video:
1. In a book, there seems like is a lot of dead space on the top and bottom of the page displays. Seems like a waste of reading space.
2. The home screen seems dominated by recommendations (ie, ads) and social networking nonsense. Hope that can be reconfigured to make better use of that screen.....
3. Seems like the person doing the demo couldn't get page turn swiping to work most of the time....maybe it only works with a tap and he forgot?
4. Seems to open book much faster than the new kobo.
5. Not sure about the "less flicker" thing. I think the article may be right...having it only flicker every 6 pages may be more jarring than getting used to the flicker every time.

p.s. Any chance we can consolidate a few of these new nook threads?

Last edited by ApK; 05-24-2011 at 12:58 PM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 01:03 PM   #43
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Does it have the Read In Store feature? I lost this on my NOOKcolor by getting rid of stock.

Edit: Yes, it does. Woo Hoo!!!

Last edited by SCION; 05-24-2011 at 01:05 PM.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 01:04 PM   #44
cypresstwist
Nooking in Romania
cypresstwist doesn't littercypresstwist doesn't littercypresstwist doesn't litter

Device: Nook WiFi
I am a Nook Classic owner, but analyzing the new Kobo Touch Edition and the new Nook, I like the design of the Kobo better. More square edges, like those of a book.
cypresstwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 01:09 PM   #45
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
I was so impressed by the new Kobo yesterday, but I did miss for example physical page turning buttons. The Nook has those. On the other hand, Kobo seems to have so much better PDF support. Interesting devices both of them!
I happen to be in Nashville on June 10th.Guess I'll have to visit B&N for a hands on look!
Asawi is online now   Reply With Quote