Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 05-24-2011, 11:07 AM   #16
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
It's up on B&N web site now.
Asawi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 11:26 AM   #17
mikegetz
Professional Nerd
mikegetz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mikegetz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mikegetz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook WiFI, KOBO, Pandigital Novel Personal
the one thing i have noticed about the new nook that i don't care for - it appears that the gently sloping edges are now a crisp 90 degree angle.

that is one of my favorite bits about the nook - it is extremely ergonomic. very comfortable to hold for extended periods of time.
mikegetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2011, 11:34 AM   #18
skydive
Addict
skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Pocketbook 902 Ver 2.1.3, Virgin Nook STR & Rooted Nook Color CM7
portrait mode only viewing...
skydive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 11:44 AM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
Sony is so screwed. Between the new Nook and Kobo Sony is sooooo screwed. Two new ereaders with the Pearl Screen and a touchscreen for less then the Sony 350.

Why the hell would I buy a Sony now?

Amazon will be fine. There are those of us who don't like touchscreens and the marketing for Amazon is more then good enough to keep it competitive. I would not be surprised to see Amazon release a touchscreen version soon. I would not be surprised to see the keyboard go away. While it would be a bummer for me, I know that I am in the minority and that many people are looking for that touchscreen.
Those who do not like a touchscreen won't be buying a new Kindle when Amazon comes out with one. I do feel Amazon will go with the flow in order to keep up and that means touch minus the physical keyboard.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 11:49 AM   #20
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by skydive View Post
portrait mode only viewing...
Awwww man!!! That is the same crap they pulled with the nookcolor. sony does offer landscape on the 350 and 650, but it not a good implementation as it repeats the text in the middle of each page--that is, sony didn't make landscape mode completely independent of portrait mode as their landscape mode merely halves each page of portrait mode rather than independently reflowing the text. I hate that on my 350 and was hoping the new Nook would do it right.

EDIT: Where did you see "portrait only"? I looked over the B&N website and didn't see this, though I could have easily read over it without seeing it.

Last edited by jswinden; 05-24-2011 at 12:10 PM.
Advert
Old 05-24-2011, 11:51 AM   #21
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: MeeBook, Kobo Libra Colour
Have they mentioned what kind of touch screen it has - because I really hated the touchscreen on the Sony 600. I don't want any kind of reflections while I'm trying to read.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 11:52 AM   #22
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
sony does offer landscape on the 350 and 650, but it not a good implementation as it repeats the text in the middle of each page--that is, sony didn't make landscape mode completely independent of portrait mode as their landscape mode merely halves each page of portrait mode rather than independently reflowing the text.
Sony also offers landscape on the 950.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 11:53 AM   #23
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post
Have they mentioned what kind of touch screen it has - because I really hated the touchscreen on the Sony 600. I don't want any kind of reflections while I'm trying to read.
IR, like the newer Sony's and the just announced Kobo.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 11:53 AM   #24
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
*REPOST*

I don't see anything about 3G, despite several mentions of WiFi. That's a shame - the Nook Classic 3G options were very convenient. Then again, you can find WiFi everywhere these days, so it's not a dealbreaker for me.

I do like that the page turn buttons were retained. I like that the SD card slot is more accessible. The touch screen in the video looks very intuitive and responsive. Very cool overall.

If it was $99, I'd buy it. For $140, though, I won't. Looks like a good device, though.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 11:53 AM   #25
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Yes, it's based on infrared beams, so like on the new Sony's. No loss of contrast or nasty reflections.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 11:53 AM   #26
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
It has the same touchscreen as the Sony 350/650/950 and the new Kobo. It is IR from Neonode.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 11:54 AM   #27
skydive
Addict
skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Pocketbook 902 Ver 2.1.3, Virgin Nook STR & Rooted Nook Color CM7
neonode infrared technology
Quote:
skydive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 12:02 PM   #28
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
Sony also offers landscape on the 950.
Yes. I guess I didn't mention it because the 950 and earlier 900 actually have an independent landscape mode that correctly reflows text without repetition. Ijust mentioned the 350 and 650 to point out the flaw in their landscape mode. The 300 and 600 also had this design flaw.

Last edited by jswinden; 05-24-2011 at 12:04 PM.
Old 05-24-2011, 12:17 PM   #29
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
I don't see anything about 3G, despite several mentions of WiFi. That's a shame - the Nook Classic 3G options were very convenient. Then again, you can find WiFi everywhere these days, so it's not a dealbreaker for me.
No 3G, no web browser, no MP3 player.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 12:19 PM   #30
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
No 3G, no web browser, no MP3 player.
Good, I never used the browser or the MP3 on my nook classic. I'd rather they removed those if it makes it cheaper.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote