Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 05-29-2011, 03:22 PM   #151
chas0039
Sceptic
chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: rooted Nooks, retired. JetBook Lite, Kindle 3, 4, Kobo Nia, Libra H2O.
It looks as though I read the report wrongly; I would guess they were referring to zooming.

Sorry
chas0039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 08:00 PM   #152
JohnnyRocks
Zealot
JohnnyRocks has learned how to read e-booksJohnnyRocks has learned how to read e-booksJohnnyRocks has learned how to read e-booksJohnnyRocks has learned how to read e-booksJohnnyRocks has learned how to read e-booksJohnnyRocks has learned how to read e-booksJohnnyRocks has learned how to read e-booksJohnnyRocks has learned how to read e-books

Device: PocketBook 360
Not sure what you mean with regards to their "perilous financial situation." It's Border's that is struggling....not BandN.
JohnnyRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-29-2011, 11:04 PM   #153
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by chas0039 View Post
You know, as I look at all the features they removed from the new Nook ( 3G, Web browser, MP3 player, landscape mode, text size adjustment) and I look at their perilous financial situation, I think I have this model figured out. They needed to make a cheaper stripped down model in order to look better to a perspective buyer (company buyer not Nook customer). The articles in the WSJ would support this and their discontinuance of the current 3G model makes sense if they are not profitable, especially if their ebook sales are not profitable enough to offset the loss of profits for the hardware. The thousands of "refurb" units they dumped on the market at cut rate prices also fits.

Just conjecture.
text size adjustment? they didn't take that away, where did you get that info from?
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 11:52 AM   #154
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
And landscape mode wasn't there in the first place, so not "removed". Just (sadly) absent.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 02:54 PM   #155
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asawi View Post
And landscape mode wasn't there in the first place, so not "removed". Just (sadly) absent.
That's what I thought. Not having owned one I was waiting for confirmation.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-30-2011, 03:54 PM   #156
ncguy68
Enthusiast
ncguy68 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ncguy68 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ncguy68 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ncguy68 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ncguy68 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ncguy68 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ncguy68 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ncguy68 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ncguy68 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ncguy68 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ncguy68 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet, Asus TF300, Nexus 7
Quote:
Not true here. When that happens, I'll be ordering a spare KSO.

You might want to do that soon. The new Kindle will probably be announced this fall.
ncguy68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 04:05 PM   #157
ncguy68
Enthusiast
ncguy68 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ncguy68 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ncguy68 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ncguy68 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ncguy68 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ncguy68 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ncguy68 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ncguy68 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ncguy68 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ncguy68 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ncguy68 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet, Asus TF300, Nexus 7
Quote:
You know, as I look at all the features they removed from the new Nook ( 3G, Web browser, MP3 player, landscape mode, text size adjustment) and I look at their perilous financial situation, I think I have this model figured out. They needed to make a cheaper stripped down model in order to look better to a perspective buyer (company buyer not Nook customer). The articles in the WSJ would support this and their discontinuance of the current 3G model makes sense if they are not profitable, especially if their ebook sales are not profitable enough to offset the loss of profits for the hardware. The thousands of "refurb" units they dumped on the market at cut rate prices also fits.

Just conjecture.

The Nook has never had landscape mode. The web browser was never really useful on an E-Ink screen (Kindle included). If you want web browsing B&N has the Nook Color and it has a very good web browser. If you want an MP3 player the Nook Color has it as well. The New Nook is going to be for readers only...and they cut the other features so they could include the E-ink touch screen and keep the cost low.

I wish Amazon sold there 'refurb' units at a low cost...instead they reship them to unsuspecting customers. Which is why I know people who have received 'new' kindles already registered in other peoples names with books already installed and the worst part is they had access to these accounts.
ncguy68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 08:01 PM   #158
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
I sort of think the "landscape mode" ability confuses the tech sites because some of the kids' books (and magazines) can be read in landscape mode on the Nook Color. SO THEREFORE ALL NOOKS SUPPORT LANDSCAPE MODE FOR ALL NOOK-BOOKS, RIGHT?

(repost)
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 12:24 AM   #159
lisreed
Addict
lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.

Device: Nook GlowLight 3
Just got an email that my new nook has shipped today. Surprised that they shipped it 10 days early. The cover hasn't shipped but I just ordered it this afternoon.
lisreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 04:46 AM   #160
toronado
Addict
toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
Based on my experience with the Sony, I think there should be no reason why you could not use either your finger or a stylus on the Nook Touch.

My cat has helped turn the page on my Sony by the motion of her ear while sitting in my lap. There are lengthy threads on the Sony forum about flies and food crumbs turning pages too.
Well, it turns out the Nook Touch does NOT work with a stylus:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyTtFXmQwGA

He demonstrates this at about 8:19 in the video.
toronado is offline   Reply With Quote