Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 05-04-2015, 03:39 PM   #1
exaltedwombat
Guru
exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Sigil or Calibre?

What reasons should I give a newcomer to eBook production to learn Sigil rather than choosing the Calibre editor? Or vice versa? Is there an up-to-date comparison anywhere?
exaltedwombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 03:42 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Sigil has a Book View editor, calibre has regex-functions.

Most of the Sigil features have been incorporated into calibre, since everybody liked them so much that they asked for calibre to do the same.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-04-2015, 04:15 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by exaltedwombat View Post
What reasons should I give a newcomer to eBook production to learn the Calibre editor rather than Sigil? Or vice versa? Is there an up-to-date comparison anywhere?
Whats really to learn? (OK, there is differences )
The coding is still the same for EPUB

What is different is the operation is some of the helper tools
Snippets vs Clips,
saved searches ,
TOC editor (same as used in the Calibre GUI) vs Sigils Heading driven

I still use both. For the way different parts work.
Calibre editor: The Debug and Spell check
Sigil: chained saved searches and saved clips
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 05:27 PM   #4
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
To each its own. They are alike. Personally I can't stand the look of Calibre editor the last time I checked it. It might be better now though.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 05:32 PM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm moving this to the EPUB forum and I'll get someone to merge the Sigil one into it

Last edited by BetterRed; 05-04-2015 at 05:38 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-04-2015, 05:37 PM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Maybe a Sigil Mod merge this thread with this one - https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=260041

@exaltedwombat - posting the same thing in multiple forums is verboten - better to have one conversation
Old 05-04-2015, 05:42 PM   #7
exaltedwombat
Guru
exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I wanted opinions from both Sigil aficionados and Calibre ones.
Old 05-04-2015, 05:45 PM   #8
exaltedwombat
Guru

Well, OK. But I hoped for opinions from actual users, who would follow one or other forum. Who follows this one?
Old 05-04-2015, 05:48 PM   #9
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by exaltedwombat View Post
I wanted opinions from both Sigil aficionados and Calibre ones.
You'll get them there - the redirects will hang around for a month and neither forum is that busy

BR
Old 05-04-2015, 06:20 PM   #10
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I would probably suggest that a newcomer install both and see which appeals to them more. If they're ebook-creation noobs, a feature comparison and various testimonials are going to be fairly useless to them. They don't know what they don't know, after all. Once they're a little more proficient/knowledgeable, they'll be perfectly capable of making their own informed decision (or maybe even find a way to utilize both).

I'm just not convinced newcomers need this kind of help. Especially when the help will eventually take the form of; "choose Team X: there's cake!"
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 07:06 PM   #11
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

People who code books and haven't commited to the calibre/Sigil hegemony.

The formats subforums deal with editor-agnostic discussions and are frequented by people whose primary interest is in focusing on the actual book they create.

Best place to ask about the advantages of different editors, IMHO.
Old 05-04-2015, 09:58 PM   #12
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Sigil has a Book View editor, calibre has regex-functions.
Personally, I don't use the Book View to do any editing, and I really like the idea of regex functions, but I haven't gone to the dark side (Calibre) because I don't like their reliance on keyboard shortcuts. I like to point and click... and frankly I don't have enough room on my ice-berg to squeeze any more penguins. (If I force myself to remember any of those commands, I will forget something important like my wife's birthday!)

I've also spent a bit of time setting up Sigil with me personal clips and saved searches. It's too much hassle to transfer them over just for the advanced functionality of regex functions.

I guess you should just have a look at both and see which you are more comfortable using!
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 10:03 PM   #13
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Moderator Notice
Moving to EPUB where it can be Merged.

Please do not start multiple threads
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 10:41 PM   #14
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
Personally, I don't use the Book View to do any editing, and I really like the idea of regex functions, but I haven't gone to the dark side (Calibre) because I don't like their reliance on keyboard shortcuts.
What do you mean by calibre's regex functions relying on keyboard shortcuts? What am I missing?
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 11:56 PM   #15
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Snippets, which is calibre's alternative, to Sigil clips, relies on keyboard shortcuts. Perhaps that is it.

@theducks -- you could've moved this thread into the other, I believe. Too late now...