Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-11-2014, 04:48 AM   #1
Joques
Addict
Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.

Device: Kobo Glo
New Google books store, compared to Kobo store

So Google Books has finally become available in Norway. We're in desperate need of some competition here. At a cursory glance, book availability is significantly better for me on Google Books than on the Kobo store, but prices are somewhat higher. It seems to be a great secondary storefront for me to visit whenever there's some book that Kobo refuses to sell to me.
Joques is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 04:49 AM   #2
Joques
Addict
Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.

Sorting seems to be a nightmare, though. Or, to be more specific, there is no sorting option at all, not even sorting for language. Baffling.

Last edited by Joques; 06-11-2014 at 07:13 AM.
Advert
Old 06-11-2014, 08:07 AM   #3
RZetlin
Addict
RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura HD (RIP)
Having use the Google Books store myself, I see it as a secondary source to get eBooks.

The searching and category functions in Google Books is pretty poor though.
RZetlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 09:35 AM   #4
Joques
Addict

It's funny searching for "Stephen King". You'll get a wall of books, lots of them in German and one, curiously, in Swedish, interspersed among the english versions. It is hopeless to navigate.
Old 06-11-2014, 05:59 PM   #5
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo. Galaxy Tab S 8.4
can you buy epubs on the google book store?
do they have DRM? Meaning can I just download an epub and copy it straight to my eareader without having to use some sort of DRM channel first?
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2014, 06:25 PM   #6
RZetlin
Addict
RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura HD (RIP)
Quote:
Originally Posted by danskmacabre View Post
do they have DRM? Meaning can I just download an epub and copy it straight to my eareader without having to use some sort of DRM channel first?
Yes, you can get epubs from the Google Book Store.

Yes, the books have DRM, you have to download them to Adobe Digital Editions.
RZetlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 07:18 PM   #7
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by danskmacabre View Post

Much like other ebook stores, there are some ebooks that are not DRMed but the majority are. For the DRMed epub ebooks, you'll need to use Adobe Digital Editions to download and transfer them to your Kobo ereader.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 07:24 PM   #8
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joques View Post
It's funny searching for "Stephen King". You'll get a wall of books, lots of them in German and one, curiously, in Swedish, interspersed among the english versions. It is hopeless to navigate.
What I find the most humourous is that when I first visited the Google Play bookstore, I expected to find a superior search capability -- after all, search is where Google started.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 08:10 PM   #9
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo. Galaxy Tab S 8.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by RZetlin View Post
Yes, you can get epubs from the Google Book Store.

Yes, the books have DRM, you have to download them to Adobe Digital Editions.
Thanx for the info
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 09:05 PM   #10
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
What I find the most humourous is that when I first visited the Google Play bookstore, I expected to find a superior search capability -- after all, search is where Google started.

Regards,
David
I never even thought of that until you just mentioned it! Who would have thunk it? Google bookstore sucks at searching.

It does appear to me though that the bookstore seems like a sort of afterthought.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote