Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-27-2013, 08:51 AM   #1
K. Molen
Addict
K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 3, Nexus 10, Nexus 5
Survey finds that 62% of 16 to 24-year-olds prefer paper books to e-books

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz Bury of TheGuardian.com
Sixteen to 24-year-olds are known as the super-connected generation, obsessed with snapping selfies or downloading the latest mobile apps, so it comes as a surprise to learn that 62% prefer print books to ebooks.

Asked about preferences for physical products versus digital content, printed books jump out as the media most desired in material form, ahead of movies (48%), newspapers and magazines (47%), CDs (32%), and video games (31%).

"It is surprising because we think of 16-24s as being attached to their smartphones and digital devices, so it does shout out," said Luke Mitchell of agency Voxburner, which researched questions about buying and using content with 1,420 young adults.

The two big reasons for preferring print are value for money and an emotional connection to physical books. On questions of ebook pricing, 28% think that ebooks should be half their current price, while just 8% say that ebook pricing is right.

The top-rated reasons for preferring physical to digital products were: "I like to hold the product" (51%), "I am not restricted to a particular device" (20%), "I can easily share it" (10%), "I like the packaging" (9%), and "I can sell it when used" (6%)...
Full article here: http://www.theguardian.com/books/201...printed-ebooks

Last edited by K. Molen; 11-27-2013 at 08:56 AM.
K. Molen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 08:55 AM   #2
K. Molen
Addict
K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 3, Nexus 10, Nexus 5
This is very surprising to me, for much of the same reasons as given in the article. I'm in the latter part of my thirties and when I first heard about e-reading a number of years ago I was a little resistant, for the standard reasons of loving the look, feel and smell of books as well as not being a fan of the way e-ink screens blinked when turning a page, but it took only a few pages of e-reading to convert me.

So that such a large percentage of young adults prefer paper to electronic reading is slightly unfathomable to me... I didn't see that coming at all, and I don't really understand how it can be.
K. Molen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2013, 09:33 AM   #3
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
I've noticed that a lot - but it does make sense, to me, as I've also noticed that in general, the people who most prefer paper books to ebooks are often people who have relatively few books (no space issues and not even any realisation yet that space may become an issue - or the lucky few with large houses and space for personal libraries!) and who have no physical issues with either holding books or reading them in whatever font, margins and line spacing they come in.

They also tend to be people who haven't had to move to a new home with more than a couple of boxes of books (or if they have, they haven't been personally responsible for doing it).

Very young people fit right into both of those categories.

Also, and I think this is related to the no lack-of-space issues, when someone is a relatively new reader, who doesn't have a large personal library yet, the idea of owning books, having a shelf or two as physical items to display and admire, is much more important than when you already have shelf upon shelf at home, taking up all the space you'd need for other things...

I'm quite sure this isn't the only reason - or one that many of those young readers would even give - but I interact with rather a lot of 15-20-year-olds in book fandoms on daily basis, and for many of those kids, reading for fun is something they really only discovered a few years ago, and books-as-physical-objects is still a major, new, shiny, wonderful thing for them.
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 09:56 AM   #4
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
"Half of the respondents were sourced through student moneysaving website Studentbeans.com, and half through a broader youth research panel."

Not a random sample then which would likely show half hadn't read a book except set books in the last six months.

The missing questions relate to how many books/ebooks were (a) bought and (b) read
(c) borrowed from library.

Same for music and movies.
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 10:49 AM   #5
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
For non-prolific readers of any age that makes sense. Why spend even $50 for a reader if you only read one or two books a year and never re-read them. Now if they surveyed young readers who typically read a book a week they might have different results.
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2013, 11:18 AM   #6
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Kids that age read a *lot* of books.
But those gaming guides are typically more useful in paper format.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 11:38 AM   #7
mrscoach
Guru
mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy tab
My 22yo loves to read, but is selective on what he reads and how he spends what little free time he has. He prefers physical books because he spends 12+ hours a day on the computer and needs down time that doesn't involve a screen. That is, WHEN he actually picks up a book, because he only talks to his friends for a short time, eats and goes to bed by the time he gets home at night.
mrscoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 02:56 PM   #8
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I got my first reader because I worked summers in a remote town with very few books available and my Southern library had quite a few ebooks. I might not have bought it for $399 if I had understood that I could read epubs on my laptop with ease. I thought ebook meant PDF at that time and we know how much fun those can be.

Now I love my readers, but I can understand someone, whatever the age, having no desire to switch from paper even to a phone or tablet which they may already have. Young people can be as set in their ways as older people.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 03:41 PM   #9
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
I'm 24, so I fit right in those demographics... Barely.

If I had an eReader when I was 16, it would have made my life easier. It makes my life easier now because it's easier to find quotations, it's easier to take notes within the ebooks themselves, and it's much easier on my hands and eyes.

They don't see it now, but they will in a few years.

I have space for books, but the only thing they do is collect dust, and annoy me because I have to wipe them down every few months.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 10:55 AM   #10
nutsheart
nutsheart is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!nutsheart is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!nutsheart is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!nutsheart is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!nutsheart is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!nutsheart is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!nutsheart is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!nutsheart is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!nutsheart is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!nutsheart is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!nutsheart is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: Tolino Vision 4 HD, Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura One, Huawei MediaPd M3
When they move with a truck load of books I bet they change their opinion.
nutsheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 11:14 AM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
You still can legally buy USED books in the USA. Those cost even Less again than an e-book and you don't need a expensive special device to read them upon

Manga at original Print size? Oh! Paper wins out over big displays again.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 01:37 PM   #12
cvergz828
cvergz828 shares his or her toyscvergz828 shares his or her toyscvergz828 shares his or her toyscvergz828 shares his or her toyscvergz828 shares his or her toyscvergz828 shares his or her toyscvergz828 shares his or her toyscvergz828 shares his or her toyscvergz828 shares his or her toyscvergz828 shares his or her toyscvergz828 shares his or her toys

Device: Kobo Arc 7
I think that's about right...

I have to agree and I'm not surprised. A lot of my friends prefer to read books the old fashioned way. I don't think everyone is prepared to go high-tech when it comes to reading. Although, I appreciate Kobo, Amazon, and other eReader manufacturers to introduce a new way of reading. When I first bought mine, I was willing to try it. I like to read but I want to find a new way to get me back into the habit. Therefore, I bought a Kobo eReader.
cvergz828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 01:49 PM   #13
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I think a lot depends on your genre preferences and that will also determine some about whether you get an ereader or not. It's really hard to find good sci fi and mystery/thrillers unless you are living in a city and even then, the selection is limited. I was reminded recently that sci fi is actually a small amount of the sales compared to regular fiction. My sister would never have bought an ereader if it wasn't for the difficulty of getting older sci fi (now in ebook form). Space is an issue for her too, of course, but she really does prefer paper.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 07:14 PM   #14
Waflicka
Waflicka shares his or her toysWaflicka shares his or her toysWaflicka shares his or her toysWaflicka shares his or her toysWaflicka shares his or her toysWaflicka shares his or her toysWaflicka shares his or her toysWaflicka shares his or her toysWaflicka shares his or her toysWaflicka shares his or her toysWaflicka shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle 3
This doesn't surprise me at all. I'm well within the demographic at 21 years old, and an English major -- so naturally myself and all of my friends are prolific readers. I prefer readers and one friend prefers audiobooks, but all of my other friends within this age bracket prefer books. Most have boxes of them in their garages for lack of storage space! Frankly, I think that the insinuation by earlier posters that people who prefer paper must not be prolific readers is quite offensive. Just because you prefer a screen, it doesn't mean that everybody else should -- some prolific readers are tactile readers, too. Get over it. The level of arrogance in this thread is a disgusting picture of this forum...

This, coupled with the obvious lack of reading comprehension when people answer basic questions in threads, makes me very, very doubtful of my decision to join. You're folks who can't see the forest for the trees, and half of you seem to think the trees are shrubs, anyway. *shakes head*
Waflicka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 08:21 PM   #15
Ekaros
Illiterate newbie
Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Last book I read was paper. Though it was from my favorite author and I have collected nearly all of his main works... It is available as ebook, but sometimes you have to get the paper.

Otherwise it doesn't really matter to me if it's paper or ebook, ebook is usually faster to get anyway. Though that is only for English stuff...
Ekaros is offline   Reply With Quote