Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 08-05-2023, 08:19 PM   #1
MerlinMama
Evangelist
MerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo Libra Colour
Problem running multiple saved searches at once

Hope someone can tell me if I'm doing something wrong.

I have lots of saved searches that I run, some on all books, some just for bought epubs, some just for fanfiction, etc.

In one grouping, there are 25 saved searches. I highlight them all and use 'Replace All' and they all work (I've checked, added things in from multiple of the searches just to see and they are always 'corrected').

In another grouping there are only 7, but I use Find, then Replace and Find if I need to, or just Find again. Lately, it will only 'Find' from the first 2 of the 7 highlighted searches, depending on the direction I highlighted from. So, if I highlight from top to bottom, the top 2 work and the others seem to be ignored, and if I highlight from bottom to top, the bottom 2 work and the others are ignored. When I try highlighting the middle 3, only one of them will work, so I have to do them one by one.

However, if I take that same grouping of 7, highlight them and use Replace All, they all work, but then I have to go through and change some back, which defeats the purpose.

I'm sure this used to work, but I have moved some, added some and deleted some, so maybe there's some hierarchy or priority thing I'm unaware of. I haven't seen anything in the documentation.
MerlinMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2023, 08:22 PM   #2
MerlinMama
Evangelist
MerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beauty

Oh, when the problem started, it was only the search at the very bottom that wouldn't work. I would move it up a few places, and all seemed to work again for a bit. After a while, it was the top 2 and the last that would work.
Old 08-05-2023, 11:04 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
there havent been any changes in saved searches/find/replace in many years, so if they used to work and have stopped I suggest looking for what has changed in the actual saved searches you are using.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2023, 11:41 PM   #4
MerlinMama
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
there havent been any changes in saved searches/find/replace in many years, so if they used to work and have stopped I suggest looking for what has changed in the actual saved searches you are using.
The individual searches themselves work. If I select one saved search, it finds everything It's supposed to, through all of the 7 I want. It's when I choose all 7 searches to run at once, which the documentation says you can do, that they don't all work. Or rather it will find everything in two of the saved searches, then act like it's done, but if I then select one of the 5 it seemingly ignored, it will find what those saved searches are looking for.

The above applies only if I use Replace and Find. If I use Replace All, it will go through all 7 saved searches
Old 08-06-2023, 12:08 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
replace all and replace and find are very different. In the first case every search is run all matches are found and replaced. In particular it means that search 2 is run on the text after all replaces from search 1 are done. Similarly for search 3 it is run on text after all replacements from 1 and 2 are done and so on.

Whereas for replace and find, you are doing one replace then jumping to the first match from any of the searches in the remaining text.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2023, 07:46 AM   #6
MerlinMama
Evangelist

Yes I know how the two work differently. I guess I just can't explain properly, so I'll leave it there.